You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is this a milestone?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
Is this a milestone?
« on: May 07, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »
Dd's coach had the "head coach" look at her program today. (The coach is fabulous that way - gets a second opinion from time to time and consults others). No changes made - except - the few remaining singles (apart from axel) are now all doubles. Up to now she's had 2 doubles and 2 axels/combinations. She was told from now on no more single jumps except axel as she is a big enough girl to manage this and her responsibility to stay on her feet now and make sure she finishes program in time.

She's quite excited although nervous about how to finish the program in time (and if she rushes her jump more likely to fall) - but- coaches told her they felt she could do it.

It feels like a milestone to me anyway....

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Is this a milestone?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
I think it is! Doing all doubles is a big step - one that most skaters may never reach! congrats to her!  you must be a proud mom :D

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »
That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:43:01 AM »
That is great-- and prepare yourself for a little drama...my dd is doing all doubles now and it is HARD in the programs.

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
I'm expecting lots of dramas. In particular several falls followed by running out of time  etc. but - she's been told she can and must get out there and do it and that she can. Maybe next program she'll choose slightly slower music or something?

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
I dont  think slower music will help with her running out of time or falling. Its just an ongoing process, from landing a cheated jump, to cleaning up the jump, to doing it in a program.Its just takes time.
Good luck !

Offline skatingmum2

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 03:41:12 PM »
I was growled at by my daughter when I suggested slower music last week. ("You're not a proper skating mother and you don't even know the difference between a double flip and double toe....." - the second part being true).

They've decided for next weeks competition just to do double sal -single loop and something similar with her axel combination - but - after that - it will all be axel or doubles! There has been a slight disaster with her blades  - the regular guy was on holiday and we went somewhere else - rocker almost completly gone and we may well need new blades. Spins seem more problematic than jumps right now - hoping the jumps don't completely disappear when the decent guy sorts the blades.

With the singles on the end of the combo's she is landing them way more consistently to the music. In general coach feedback is take off and rotation and height resonably good but the landings need some work (goes way to low in her knee) and she needs to stop rushing!