You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: variation in scores  (Read 1355 times)

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
variation in scores
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:36:06 AM »
Used to be on old forums. COmputer death and other things - not posted for ages.

Does any other skater vary like this:
IJS - GOE's between -3 and +1
6.0 system: 1 event: 4, 6, 17 and next even 4,6,6,6,11

Interestingly we were on holiday and dd was practicing at a visitng rink. A judge came over to chat. Middle of it dd came over to get an extra bunga pad and we had discussion about new boots and growth spurts. (The child age 12 1/2 is now 5'2" - she used to be a really tiny kid - still slim and arms and legs almost look too long). He told me he was relieved to hear she'd had a growth spurt as he could see something "wrong" with her skating and a growth spurt completely explained it!

I wonder if this is what some judges are seeing and others aren't ? I wish I remembered or understood what he'd told me as my daughter asked me about the conversation and her score variations. (Am really ignorant when it comes to technical stuff and still can't ID different sorts of jumps).

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: variation in scores
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:23:24 AM »
Sure, I've seen similar ranges; that's why they toss out the high and the low scores ... have seen similar ranges on skating skills, and on multi-judge panels, including a wide range of comments (with a Fantatic spin; great entry; +3 from J1, and Weak fly, need more rotations; -1 from J2).  If you check out the protocols on comps, you'll see it ... judges are human, and things happen.

We don't get protocols on OBO anymore, but, back in the day ... yup. It happened. 

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »
Interestingly an acquainance had a chat to a judge she knows about these particular competitions and her daughters scores (and mentioned mine in passing just because)..... He told us to take no notice and it was all down to politics etc.

I do wonder about the growth spurt thing though and whether some element of daughters skating is more noticed by some - but - have told her she has no control of how she is judged and even more reason just to go out and enjoy herself.

(Her latest request is to do one of her programs in black OTB tights.... but suspect judges may really not like that - and with her tight laddering skills - reckon black shows problems more than tan!)

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »
Interestingly an acquainance had a chat to a judge she knows about these particular competitions and her daughters scores (and mentioned mine in passing just because)..... He told us to take no notice and it was all down to politics etc.

Although everybody officially denies this, but human nature being what it is, I just wonder how much of this is a factor, knowingly or unknowingly.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !