You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: jackson artiste  (Read 13256 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
jackson artiste
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
Just wondering what you guys though of the jackson artiste. I was at the only proshop in my state that carries a wide range of figure skates, and ive been needing new skates and got the jackson artiste. I just stated waltz jumps and thats as far as i am with my skating. Ive been usng a pair of cheap skates, and the ankle area is completely bendable and coach said im going to need new skates.

Im interested in what you all have to say. Thanks!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: jackson artiste
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
I'm assuming you are an adult.

That said, the Artiste is better than crappy skates- the blades aren't bolted on right?  If there are screws that means when you get better at spins/footwork/or jumps you can upgrade it.  I needed a blade upgrade well before I needed a boot upgrade (I've been in Jackson Competitors since I switched out of bad skates).

But it might not provide you enough support for very long- if you are just doing waltz jump, toe loop, and salchow and not very big ones (mine aren't too big!) then you should be okay, but if you turn into someone who jumps well, then you'll need to upgrade.  Most adults seem to start with the Jackson Freestyle.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:12:36 PM »
Thank you for your input! The guy who fitted my skate said these should last awhile and i hope they do haha. They werent too expensive, so if they don last long im not going to be upset. He did show me the freestyle boot and said when i get more advanced ill have to get to that at least. Right now i am only skating once a week, and he said this will work fine and i shouldnt need the freestyl for awhile. Also, i am seventeen :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
I don't know.. they have a stiffness rating of 25 which is really not very much support at all.  The next model up (Classique) is rated at 45 and also comes with a slightly better blade (Mirage), which will last you longer than the ones that come with the Artiste.  I think the Classique is only about $25-30 more, and it would probably be a better option unless you want to be upgrading skates very soon.

My 10 year old skates in the men's Marquis which is a tiny bit stiffer than the Classique (49 vs 45) but honestly it seems like a good balance between being supportive but not "too" stiff for a beginner.  I think the Artiste are more like soft rec skates than real figure skates.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:26 PM »
It's not just how much you skate but also your build too. If you are of a lighter build than they might suit but if you are more substantial then they might not last. You don't want a skate breaking down in 6 months, or worse, falling apart!  Buying boots is a lot like buying tires for your car-you don't buy the cheapest because they are cheapest, you buy what's best for the type of job (skating) you need them to do and for the vehicle (your body) AND for a bit of longevity. Since you are a teen, your growth should be slowed down enough where you should get at least a year's worth out of them. What do you plan on doing for the next year? Use that as your guide as well. If you are planning on upgrading within a few months, spare the pain and upgrade now.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:31:21 PM »
Oh ladyavalon is very light, lol. IMO Jackson Artiste is about right for waltz jumps, you are in good hands. When you move up to flips / loops ask the pro shop again!

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
Oh ladyavalon is very light, lol. IMO Jackson Artiste is about right for waltz jumps, you are in good hands. When you move up to flips / loops ask the pro shop again!
Well that's good to know. You def don't want too much boot because they will be very hard to break in and can set you back in your skating and can cause foot damage.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 11:22:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input! I am indeed fairly light, about 95 lbs.

As far as breaking the skates in, what is the process? I have a lesson on this upcoming Thursday, should I wear my new or old skates?

Thanks sooo much all!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 12:19:22 AM »
If you want the lesson to be productive, wear the old skates.

If you want to learn how to break them in properly, wear the new skates.

Leave the top hook undone for the first few weeks, to gain knee bend until the boot forms to your foot.
Lots of dips, shoot-the-ducks, back crossovers and sit spins are good for breaking them in on the ice.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »

As far as breaking the skates in, what is the process?

Thanks sooo much all!

I'm an adult skater that skates once or twice a week. I have been breaking in Jackson elite boots and blades since about the first of the year. Here is something that bothered me with my new boots, and how I remedied it. Something that I noticed right away with the new boots was that there are now different friction or sensitive points on my feet or ankles. The new boots are pressing in different areas from what my old boots did. At first it was very distracting, like my brain was focused on the sensitive points, with little else left over for concentration on skating. What helped was when I placed Band-Aids ON EITHER SIDE of the points, to take some of the pressure off of the area, and redistribute the touch of the boot. I would then put in my Mondor tights, then my skating dress. Gradually, as the boots broke in and molded more to my feet and ankles, the pressure points went away, so I do not now need to use the Band-Aids. I'm almost back to the comfort level of my old boots. Hurray !
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »
I'm an adult skater that skates once or twice a week. I have been breaking in Jackson elite boots and blades since about the first of the year. Here is something that bothered me with my new boots, and how I remedied it. Something that I noticed right away with the new boots was that there are now different friction or sensitive points on my feet or ankles. The new boots are pressing in different areas from what my old boots did. At first it was very distracting, like my brain was focused on the sensitive points, with little else left over for concentration on skating. What helped was when I placed Band-Aids ON EITHER SIDE of the points, to take some of the pressure off of the area, and redistribute the touch of the boot. I would then put in my Mondor tights, then my skating dress. Gradually, as the boots broke in and molded more to my feet and ankles, the pressure points went away, so I do not now need to use the Band-Aids. I'm almost back to the comfort level of my old boots. Hurray !
I also had to break in Jackson Elites, I used bunga sleeves around my ankles for the first few months and left the top hook undone. I eventually hooked it and worked on bending the ankle area more (which was a chore as these boots are very stiff).  I had a problem with the insoles-they had a roughened area that bothered my toes so I used duct tape around the edge.