You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating director's involvement in rink life  (Read 2279 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Skating director's involvement in rink life
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »
In my limited understanding skating directors put together class and practice schedules, coordinate with coaches, organize ice shows, conduct administrative tasks, sometimes teach group lessons or coach privates if the rink policy allows them to. USFS definition here, I wonder what do you perceive as major responsibilities of skating directors?

How visible is your skating director in everyday rink life? I am especially curious how often do skating directors have an open door policy. From Skittl1321's post on skates swaps I guess her skating director's office is not in "employees only area" and frequently has visitors. Which is not the case for my rinks. Rink one's director walks about talking to parents and skaters, and sometimes teach group lessons, but at rink two I think most parents won't even recognize the skating director.

Also how often does a coach on staff gets promoted to be the skating director? Or is the position more likely to be filled with an outside candidate?

Your insights are appreciated!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Skating director's involvement in rink life
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »
My rink is in a mall.  When you walk in there is a counter with cash registers, and then behind that a glass door that leads to the general office.  Inside that office are two smaller offices- the skate director and the manager.

The skate director's office is not accessible to the general public, but the figure skating population of the rink is allowed in there, because everyone knows who they are.  Public skaters wouldn't go in there without an employee.  They would be stopped by the person at the cash register.

Our skating director is considered an employee of the mall, so a coach can only get that position by applying for it.  She organizes the LTS schedules, and I'm not sure what else...  The manager makes the rink schedule.  Our coaches schedule their own private lessons, so the rink director is not involved.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »
Our skating director is VERY involved in rink life.  He has someone that "manages" LTS for him but he does teach group classes AND he teaches a lot of privates.  He plans to concept of the ice shows we have.  Heck, he even cleans up the trash from time to time!

Offline sk8rfran

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
  • me and my friends
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »
Our rink is very lucky to have our skating director. Not only is she skating director but she is also manager of the rink and head coach. She does a great job of all of these roles. It is tough at times for her to deal with conflicts or other matters among the coaches and skaters from a manager perspective and a coach perspective but she makes it work!

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
We have two directors (managers): rink manager, and skating director (manager).

The rink manager is in charge of the daily operation of the rink, including ice maintenance, scheduling of events, hiring staff (snack bar, zamboni drivers, counter persons, etc,) maintaining overall structure of skating programs, and is also in charge of the development of the hockey programs.  However, the learn-to-skate programs are under the direct supervision and development of the skating director/manager. He hires/fires the instructors, assigns personnel to the individual classes, ensures the personnel are qualified to instruct, and develops the overall programs. He is also in charge of the rink's three ice shows (two on ice, one on synthetic ice).

The rink manager also manages three other rinks in Pennsylvania, and spends his time between all four rinks.  The skating director spends his day up-state, then drives to this job (for the learn-to-skate hours plus private lessons). It isn't necessary for him to be here when the rink isn't open for skating.

Both are accessible via email, telephone (cell), and texting.  If the skating director is in the lobby, he will let you know if he is available, but because he also coaches, of course you can't bother him when he is teaching on-ice.  As for therink manager, I do know first-hand that he is harder to reach when not in the office, but he does return phone calls when he can. 

I do not see these positions opening up in the immediate future. If they do, the person applying would have to be approved by the Delaware State Fair Board of Directors.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!