You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: HELP! Music cutting-itunes and Audacity program  (Read 3042 times)

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
HELP! Music cutting-itunes and Audacity program
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out a way to import the itunes song into Audacity in order to cut it.  Is there a way?  I tried to burn it to CD and then loop it back into the system, but don't know what to do.  If there is a way to do this, please give me a STEP BY STEP (including any little steps).  I have a PC  (not a Mac).  I am weary of spending hours on end trying to figure this out, and i am running out of time.  I know itunes puts some form of block on this, but a friend says there's a way around it.  PM me if you can, if not, i'll check back.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: HELP! Music cutting-itunes and Audacity program
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »
On my iTunes (Mac) I can right-click and create an mp3 version - that should help if Audacity is not recognizing the song's current format. (If it gives you a different option, such as create an AAC version, you can change the import settings in Preferences and that will change the option to the format you want)

Hope that helps!

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:18:01 PM »
Here's how I do it:
First I burn the music from iTunes to a CD.  Then I rip the CD back to the computer using Windows Media Player. 
Next, I open Free Audio Converter, add the track, convert it to mp3 (could also be WAV), and send it to my desktop.
Then I open Audacity and import the audio.  After cutting, I export it as a WAV file, and burn it with Windows Media Player.

I hope that helps a little.  I had to have my son walk me through it step by step.  I now have the procedure written down on a cheat sheet.

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »
Ha ha, that last post sounds like me!  At least your son helps you. Mine never would!  They're grown now....but where to you get the Audio Converter?

Thanks, Miraclegro

Offline sk8tegirl06

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 01:11:51 PM »
Yes, there is a way to do it. I've cut various show/competition programs for myself and others. I don't burn to CDs or use the audio converter. When I get home tonight, I can type out my process.

Offline sk8tegirl06

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
I have a PC. (Gateway) This is how I cut music.

1) When in Itunes, you probably need to convert the file format to something that Audacity will recognize. Depending one how your Itunes is formatted you can do it the way MimiG said. Right click on the song title and convert it. Though I can't seem to convert to mp3, I convert to AIFF format.

**If when you right click you don't see anything about AIFF format, go to Edit>>Preferences>>Import settings>>Import using, choose AIFF encoder. Then right click on the song title again, and this time it should say convert to AIFF.**

2) Go to Audacity, click open and import the AIFF version.

3) Make your cuts. Save your project.

4) When finished, go to file, and export to either AIFF or WAV. **If neither of those options are there, you need to format Audacity as well.** Go to Edit>>Preferences>>File Format>>AIFF/WAV (which ever you choose) Go back to file and export in whatever format you chose.

5) Go back to Itunes, File>>Add File to Library and find your edited version to import back into Itunes. Save it to a playlist and then burn to CD.

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »
Hey again,

I think i figured out the problem.  Unless my computer has an already built in program, i figured out the trial one i had a long time ago has expired.  Where can i get a free converting program? (with no viruses attached)

Offline sk8tegirl06

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »
Hey again,

I think i figured out the problem.  Unless my computer has an already built in program, i figured out the trial one i had a long time ago has expired.  Where can i get a free converting program? (with no viruses attached)

In my method, I'm pretty sure the converting tools are within in Itunes and Audacity. I don't use any outside conversion program.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »
Yep, everything you need is in iTunes & Audacity. If your version of Audacity is old and it's prompting you to upgrade, go ahead and do it - it's free!