You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Switching from freestyle blades to dance blades  (Read 3325 times)

Offline eskater

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Switching from freestyle blades to dance blades
« on: February 15, 2011, 06:42:57 PM »
I apologize if this topic is covered elsewhere.  I did skim the "Should I get dance blades?" thread, but did not find the type of response I am looking for.

Have any of you switched from freestyle blades to dance blades?  If so, what was most notable about your transition?

I have skated in MK Pros for years, have just ordered MK Dance, as I'm doing dance and moves now.  No jumping anymore. 

Curious to see what people have found who have switched!  Thank you for any input.   

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Switching from freestyle blades to dance blades
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
I haven't, but welcome to skatingforums!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
I switched about a year ago, and didn't have too much trouble.  I deliberately chose blades with the same rocker as my freestyle blades, to minimize the transition.  Technically, I'm on synchro blades - they have the same short tail as a dance blade, but the toe picks are slightly bigger.  I can still do freestyle on them if I want.  The toe picks are much smaller than my old freestyle blades, though, and that was probably the biggest thing I had to get used to.  People kept warning me about taking care not to fall backwards because of the short tail, but, honestly, I never found that to be an issue at all.  Adjusting to the lower cut of my dance boots was a much bigger adjustment than the new blades were.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:44:10 AM »
I wear freestyle and synchro blades (two pairs of boots) and have never had any problem switching. I've matched up the profiles so I don't have too much adjustment (although to be fair I don't notice any differences on the rockers and the boots have different heel heights so my weight it different, I tend to just notice which blades are sharper).
My biggest adjustment was the synchro boots, which are low cut like dance boots. Most of the time I appreciate the extra toe point, but there are odd moments when the extra flexibility in the ankle takes me by surprise. As such I dislike jumping in the boots (although it's not the shorter blade that I'm worrying about).

Offline eskater

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:18:23 AM »
I switched about a year ago, and didn't have too much trouble.  I deliberately chose blades with the same rocker as my freestyle blades, to minimize the transition.  Technically, I'm on synchro blades - they have the same short tail as a dance blade, but the toe picks are slightly bigger.   Adjusting to the lower cut of my dance boots was a much bigger adjustment than the new blades were.

I, too, have dance cut boots on the way.  I wondered about adjusting to the lower cut as well!  I did choose dance blades with the same rocker.  I almost got the MK Synchro's, but elected the dance blades instead.  Thank you for your input!

Offline eskater

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:19:20 AM »
I haven't, but welcome to skatingforums!

Thank you.  I am back, actually, after quite a long time away.  I don't know how much I'll do here, we'll see.  FB takes a LOT of time away!   88)

Offline eskater

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »
My biggest adjustment was the synchro boots, which are low cut like dance boots. Most of the time I appreciate the extra toe point, but there are odd moments when the extra flexibility in the ankle takes me by surprise. As such I dislike jumping in the boots (although it's not the shorter blade that I'm worrying about).

Eek.  Yes, I wondered about the low cut, but I'm going for it, as toe point is harder in FS boots.  The low cut may not help my "foot ball toes" (I only blame myself for that, not my equipment!), but I'm looking forward to working with same.  Thanks for the input.  You guys have been encouraging. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:30:25 AM »
Eek.  Yes, I wondered about the low cut, but I'm going for it, as toe point is harder in FS boots.  The low cut may not help my "foot ball toes" (I only blame myself for that, not my equipment!), but I'm looking forward to working with same.  Thanks for the input.  You guys have been encouraging. 

Definitely takes away from the kicking a football look by having the low cut...

As for the balance issues, I don't really notice the low cut except when I've tried jumping in them. Toe jumps are interesting as you can pull back further (because of the ankle flexibilty) and that's what freaks me out! I've not noticed doing dance, and the only time I tried to fall over was wearing my freestyle boots and practicing my back chasses for dance. I've now decided I'll stick to dance in dance boots and jumps in jumping boots.
My dance coach loves the toe pointing abilities of the low cut. When I have had lessons with her in my free boots (she loses if I have back to back lessons with my free coach), she's complained about how little toe point I have then... With the low cut boots I have it without even trying hard.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 02:36:52 PM »
If you hate your MK Dance blades, and they are 9-3/4", I would be happy to give you a few bucks for them! They are wonderful in every possible way. Did you order the new Revolution blades?

(But some freestylers hate trouble jumping on the minimal toe picks.)

A good figure sharpener, or an overzealous hockey sharpener, could shorten the tails of your freestyle blades, turning them into Synchro blades. Irreversible.

Offline eskater

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
If you hate your MK Dance blades, and they are 9-3/4", I would be happy to give you a few bucks for them! They are wonderful in every possible way. Did you order the new Revolution blades?

My blades would be too long.  But I'm determined to undergo the dreaded adaptation!  I did not go with the Revolution blades.  I don't know if MK produces a Revolution dance.  I got the standard MK Dance - 'twas a great price! :)  (But thank you for your offer!)