You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: what's reasonable to expect from a seller?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
what's reasonable to expect from a seller?
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:59:38 AM »
I bought a pair of skates on eBay last week. They were described as "used risport boots with new phantom blades" and only one picture, which wasn't a close up but appeared to show in good condition. However once delivered, the boots were close to broken down with two hooks missing. That I didn't mind so much but the Phantoms were so far from new they were unusuable - one had no sharpening zone left, the other sharpened so badly there was a concave rocker.

I normally give some leeway for eBay for "good faith layman's descriptions" - especially in such instances in which the seller seemed pleasant but have no clue about skates. But the hollow was covered with corrosion and dents to the chrome everywhere, so I don't know how anyone could have thought them new.

I don't want to be an ass, but is it reasonable to ask for a full refund?

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
Re: what's reasonable to expect from a seller?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 08:12:34 AM »
I don't know what to tell you as I was on the other end of something like this as a seller-- the buyer asked me zillions of questions about the sharpening of the blades and the condition, I answered them all.  I practically GAVE them away-- they were less than one year old.  Then, the buyer received them and gave good feedback and like 6 days later, decided they were unuseable.   

Ebay sided with the buyer without even asking me for my side...I was disturbed that 6 days went by before any mention of a problem you know??  I would have (even though I still don't SEE anything wrong with the blades-- got them back now) maybe given her some $$$ off to get them re-sharpened to her own liking.   

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »
Thanks. I only got them on friday and haven't left feedback yet. The thing is, these blades are definitely screwed - I had several skaters and a coach look at them. If I were buying used blades I'd accept if they were a bit off - what's useable for someone isn't for another - but they were stated as new, yet had no more sharpening zone. It felt like skating with speed skates!

Urgh, I'm just so angry and had been so excited! :(

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »
Ebay will almost always side with the buyer. They love love buyers and I'm thinking you will get your money back. File a case and see what happens if the buyer won't do anything.

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 02:49:42 AM »
I have to say that my experience with ebay is that they side with the seller, not the buyer!
I am experienced as a seller & buyer, and have been really frustrated at times over blatantly incorrect descriptions getting okayed by ebay/paypal.
And yeah, new?  Is that brand new, mint condition, or newly put on these boots?   88)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:20:50 AM »
I have to say that my experience with ebay is that they side with the seller, not the buyer!
I am experienced as a seller & buyer, and have been really frustrated at times over blatantly incorrect descriptions getting okayed by ebay/paypal.
And yeah, new?  Is that brand new, mint condition, or newly put on these boots?   88)

WOW...ebay dissed me without even ASKING me my side of the story.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »
I bought a pair of skates on eBay last week. They were described as "used risport boots with new phantom blades"

Because the item itself differed radically from the description, I think you have every right to ask for a full refund, including shipping & return shipping.  It's possible that the seller really did think the blades were new, and you might have to tell the seller in detail why the blades are shot.  I think you are out of luck re the boots, though, because "used" by itself covers many sins.  You are still entitled to a full refund, as the blades are not as described.  (I have bought & sold on ebay, and given refunds as well as received them.)
My glass is half full :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »
I bought a boot & blade set once that had a very nice photo showing the included soakers and guards.

They arranged it in the photo so that you couldn't see that the tail of the blades had been oversharpened above the "hard steel" edge and that the blade mounts were hanging off the heel by a 1/4"  The blades were useless, but I really wanted the boots, which were perfect.  I sent the seller a comment, but he never responded, so I gave him poor feedback.  The boots alone were worth the money I paid, but the blades were dangerous.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com