You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Show Off Your Skates!  (Read 30066 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Show Off Your Skates!
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:47:47 AM »
Every skating board needs a "Show Off Your Skates" thread.

Here are my new ones from May 2010 - Custom Klingbeils with Wilson Gold Seal blades

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Show Off Your Skates!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
BEAUTIFUL !   we are awaiting the arrival of my DS's new Custom Klings (thanks to you and formerly-d b n y now Sk8dream) for helping us in getting to Klingbeil for the fitting ... yours are so pretty ... I envy you the US pricing on Gold Seals ... sigh.  Will take pictures of the old battered ones and post side-by-side with the new ones when they arrive :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:01:01 PM »
Those blades were fairly new on my old skates, so I just moved them to these skates. Fortunately, the blade size was the same.  Now, I have a backup pair of skates (old ones) and a pair of patch skates that I never use.  One of these days, I'll get back into a groove.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »
guys - how does one upload pics? I've got them on my computer waiting...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:10:15 PM »
I set up my own photobucket account at www.photobucket.com.  You upload the photos to the albums there and they assign a web address link that you can use with the board to show the photos.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »
LOL maybe its mad I neglected it 4 so long  ;D- OK try again!

I'm not sure the quality of the blade, if anyone knows how good they are please let me know - since they are not the named blades on the box & they have developed rust, I'd hope to convince them to put on Club 2000's if they are better & the chance to change them over is closing fast....

Offline scootie12

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
    • My Skating Videos
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:25:18 PM »
These are my favorite pair of skates EVER...ZERO pain, no horrible break-in period, super comfortable, and great ankle support in just the right areas.

These are my SP-Teri KT-2 boots.  I am doing jumps through double axel in them and for nearly one year of skating in them, they've held up great.  What makes them good, IMO, is that SP-Teri made the boot soft in most areas, but all of the support goes in the tab, which you see where it's marked on the outside of the boot.  The boots are also heat moldable, which is great.

I was in so much shock when I tried the boots on.  I asked my skate guy repeatedly if I got the right boots because there was no way I wouldn't feel SOME pain.  I experienced years of painful break-ins back in the "old days," so I was happy to find out how much boot technology has changed over the years, especially after returning to skating after 8 years away.

My previous boots, which I had in 2001, were SP-Teri Advantage, which were for triples and quads.  OMG, those boots were so horrible breaking in, I had to see a doctor. 

My blades are Pattern 99, which are great now that I'm used to them.  It took about 2 weeks to get comfortable spinning in them.  My jump landings are nearly silent, and the 8' rocker makes spinning better.

Here's a thumbnail, which you can click on for large size:
My Skating Practice Channel On YouTube:
www.youtube.com/scootie12

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Out With the Old, In With the New
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »
Here are my old faithful, broken down, and too large Jackson Freestyles ready for the pasture:

My brand new babies.  I somehow found $129 SP Teri Pro in size 11.)  The correct size and ready for blades and Sk8Tape:
(I will finally be able to actually skate again.)

And my used $40 Ultima Freestyle blades waiting to be moved to the SP Teri's:
(Yes, they are too short for the Jackson boots, but fit the SP Teri Pro's.  I only tried them out on these boots for a couple of weeks.)

Off to the pro shop for mounting and fitting...

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 11:04:04 PM »

My first pair of skates.   :) 

I just got them yesterday.
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 07:47:26 AM »

Basic black all the way - all of them are Riedells. I'm missing some department-store skates from the '60s and Bronze Stars from 2000, but I do remember the very first time I ice skated, it was in a pair of used white women's skates that someone gave to my mother. She never used them.

One cold day my brother, a friend, and I asked to borrow them. We took them to the frozen river behind our house, and the three of us took turns.

I was hooked.
Bill Schneider

Offline momomizu

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 9
  • Cosplay
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:22:15 PM »
my Riedell TS 133s! <3 ^_^ I love them! a tiny bit beat up but eh. They are leather boots with a PVC sole. I think they said these'll last up to Freestyle 1 or 2...i dont remember...

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:57 AM »
My previous boots, which I had in 2001, were SP-Teri Advantage, which were for triples and quads.  OMG, those boots were so horrible breaking in, I had to see a doctor. 

My blades are Pattern 99, which are great now that I'm used to them.  It took about 2 weeks to get comfortable spinning in them.  My jump landings are nearly silent, and the 8' rocker makes spinning better.

Here's a thumbnail, which you can click on for large size:

Those boots look brand new, still (fromt the picture).

Yea, I have a new pair of Kling's on order right now at a lower stiffness because of the same problem (trips to the doctor, left boot doesn't want to break in, etc.).

I will keep the current pair for when I'm doing most of the doubles consistently, but not being able to bend easily is destroying my spins and landings (it ricochets you to the back of your blade sometimes, especially when your legs are getting tired).  I'm super excited and can't wait for them to come in.  I even canceled half of my lessons while I wait.  It will be worth it.  After talking with the fitter it seems like Klingbeil sent me a C width even though he had put it in for A width, which probably had much to do with the blade alignment and foot pain issues I experienced, as well.

Am I the only guy who gets black boots with brown soles (not by choice, they just seem to always come that way, and I forgot to tell my fitter to make sure these were black O.o)?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:07:32 AM »
Am I the only guy who gets black boots with brown soles (not by choice, they just seem to always come that way, and I forgot to tell my fitter to make sure these were black O.o)?

No, you're not; my kid has them on his Klings, and so does Kurt Browning on the Riedells he's using at present (and often has in the past).  Actually, we had to make a request to get the brown soles:  the "norm" is black  and sealed apparently on the customs.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 07:10:03 AM »
I know at least a dozen guys with black boots/brown soles.  I like the look; why are you leaving it up to chance with these boots?  Contact both the fitter and Klingbeil to tell them what color you want the soles/heels to be now to save yourself more complaints later.  Klingbeil's standard for men's boots is black/black, so if you ended up with black/brown, the fitter probably chose that option for you.

I guess you use stock Klingbeils since you order by width instead of by measurement.  If the fitter ordered one width and Klingbeil sent another, the fitter should have noticed when the order arrived.  A to C is a huge mistake that should have been caught.

Personally, I think the fitter is making excuses to cover his ***.  I wonder if the skates were really ordered for you or if they were leftovers that he passed along to you.  Is your name on the soleplate?
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline IceIcleSkate

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
  • My Name is Ruthie.... :)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
hey i'm new btw :) i havent skated in a while but i still have my skates... so here they are

They're Jackson Mystiques:

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
They're too shiny - you need to get back on the ice and mess 'em up a bit.  Welcome to skatingforums!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline momomizu

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 9
  • Cosplay
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 10:00:31 AM »
My Riedell 133s TS. This was taken in April '10.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
I'm so excited because I get a new pair in the next few weeks! My ten year old reidells are too big for me now! Guess that's what happens when you buy them as an overweight preteen and then get back into the sport as a more in shape 20-something. :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »
I actually just joined so I could add a picture :D

Here's mine.. old boots are Custom SP-Teri's circa 1997 (which are now far too narrow for me), new boots are Jackson Elite Plus and about a year old (however in that past year i've probably skated about 20 hours total.. they're barely broken in now) - I'm probably overbooted in them, but they're pretty comfy and have been easier to break in than my SP-Teri's were back in the day, so I'm not complaining.  Blades are the same Phantom Specials I bought 14 years ago... love those blades :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »
Very nice!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
Not my skates but look at the coach's boots in this video.

Magic boots!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
  My poor poor skate

after reconstructive surgery

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »
Great reconstruction.  Did that empty hole rip all the way through?  That's incredible!
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »
Glad to hear the repair is working for you.  Do you know if the shop let Reidell know, or did you give them a call?  It just seems wrong that they would rip out like that.  :(

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »
I was disappointed in the shop's response, but I needed them fixed asap.  They ripped on a Monday and I had competition on Saturday.  I supposed I could've scratched, but I promised my DD I'd do Jump & Spin with her if she landed her axel (she landed both by the way).  I went to a great shoe repair place that the shop recommended.  They fix professional hockey players skates. 

The kicker is that the holes on the other side need the same kind of surgery.  It's $45/side.  If the other skate needs it too, that's $180.  I'd rather put that toward new boots.  They aren't broken down at all.  I had them professionally fitted so it's not like they're too narrow. I have had them for 14 months and skate 4-5 days/week for about an hour and a half per session.

I hope I can get down to Reidell this week.  I think they need to look at this. Everyone that I've talked to who's gone down there has had a good response.  Hopefully, I'll get the same.