You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

Where do you fit in?

Test-taker
16 (25.8%)
Lesson-taker
23 (37.1%)
Recreational
8 (12.9%)
Competitive
7 (11.3%)
Skating Coach
5 (8.1%)
Other
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 09, 2010, 09:22:48 AM

Author Topic: What type of skater are you?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
What type of skater are you?
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »
I know we have skaters and non-skaters on this board, but I'm really curious about the skaters in this poll.

(We all know that very few coaches find the time to skate for themselves.)

It's totally unscientific, but give it a shot - you have up to three votes you can cast.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: What type of skater are you?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:31:47 AM »
Right now, I am primarily concerned with test taking. I am oh so close to getting my senior moves in the field, so I have been working hard on getting there. I am also working on my Intermediate free. Once I finish my moves, I will start dance. Coach is dreaming of the day when we start that dutch waltz  :-\ She has made comments that the first 6 dances will be "easy" and we will blow through them.

I don't compete, but I did tell my coach 2 things...1) I would consider it after I pass intermediate and 2) I will do it when she does :)

I coach basic skills and have a couple of private students that I work with on a regular basis. Last year I had the chance to choreograph the tot number for our annual ice show and got many compliments about how it was one of the best tot numbers they have had in a while. That felt good, even though it wasn't my doing at all, it was all the girls...they were just too cute doing the itsy-bitsy spider :)

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 82
  • Cleverly disguised as an adult.
    • CheapSkate
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »
While I keep in mind what will be asked of me on the tests I am not concerned with that given my health issues and all that, I just wanna get back to skating! Might do an artistic comp if all goes well though, you don't need to prove your level with tests for those. :)
 :s
_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline sk8Joyful

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Truthfully, I checked off both 'Recreational, & Lesson-taker'. - I hope to get back to Group-lessons sometimes, and I also have 2 goals.

Also, I'm leaving in a few minutes for practice, no less twice this week! - How nice it would be if I could skate that often regularly, and more...  :)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:38:11 PM »
Right now, I'm nothing due to cash flow and injury issues. However, when I get back on the ice (and I will eventually) I really need to pass my Intermediate MITF test. Plus I love competing, so I probably won't skate without being competitive.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:01:11 PM »
I take dance lessons and testing dance is my main focus.  I also compete in our local Adult synchro team.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »
I take lessons, and tests; I also skate in shows whenever I can. The shows are what really motivated me to take private lessons because you get privates for show practice (at that time we did).
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 10:50:38 PM »
Well I have taken tests and have taken lots of lessons so I checked that.

I am also a Silver level test judge in freestyle/pairs and dance. Working on moving up to Gold Test judge in these  disciplines although it looks like the Dance judge promotion may be coming along sooner than later...

But on some level I consider myself a recreational skater because presently I have no desire to test, no money for lessons and no real desire for that either although I do get together with my coach from time to time to ask her about the Moves or other things that I see on tests. She doesn't really charge me but sometimes I give her money anyway.... 

Also got involved this year and last with running a competition which has been a real learning experience (in figures, no less!)