You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What is CER  (Read 1494 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
What is CER
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »
I see coaches listed as CER A or CERB. What is this?

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
Re: What is CER
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »
Continuing Education Requirement--required for certification by USFS and administrated by PSA. "A" and "B" differ in terms of the course/test requirements. "B" is usually just the basics and for coaches who for whatever reason ($$$, teaching only group lessons), don't want/need to take the extra courses. Put me down as someone who is not very impressed by CERs. The proof is in the pudding, not whether you can pass the online courses (and the coaches on this board must agree that some of those courses are awfully lame).

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »
CER B can put skaters on the ice for tests and local competitions.
CER A can do qualifying competitions.

Group lessons actually don't need one of these yet.  There is an optional CER C, however.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »
Put me down as someone who is not very impressed by CERs. The proof is in the pudding, not whether you can pass the online courses (and the coaches on this board must agree that some of those courses are awfully lame).

Agreed, as a coach who has passed CER B.  (I don't have skaters at the qualifying levels, so didn't see the point in paying for the extra test for CER A.)  But you have to consider what the point of testing is.  It's certainly not to demonstrate mastery of the subject matter, since you essentially take the tests open-book on line.  It's more a way of ensuring that certain information gets to coaches.  No one can say they didn't know about coaching ethics, for instance, because we all had to pass a test on it.  The tests drawn from the rule book force us to look up specific information, and make sure that we know where to find that information.  I agree that "the proof is in the pudding", but at least these tests are a way to guarantee that those of us putting skaters out for tests and competitions meet at least some minimum standard.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »
Thanks. I saw it referenced here and there, and wondered.

It's one of those things that sort of baffled me. You know, the part of skating that's almost like it's a secret society kind of stuff.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/