You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Have you ever taken on a Partner at a Public Skate?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
Have you ever taken on a Partner at a Public Skate?
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:15:45 PM »
Ok. I'm not really sure were to put this. As I don't know what were using for the equivalent of "On Ice Skaters". So I'm going to guess here. But what I'd like to ask all of you today is if you have ever taken on a Partner (skated with someone hand in hand) at a Public Skate? I just took on my first Partner yesterday and it was fun!!! But not easy to do. I can tell you that!!! Anybody else? LOL.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Have you ever taken on a Partner at a Public Skate?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:59:35 PM »
You picked the right forum.  Well done.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sofakartoffel

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 16
  • Jeg forlod mit hjerte i København.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:23:52 AM »
I don't know if this is what the OP meant, but yeah, I drag my SO with me to public skate all the time. Back when I hobbled on ice at a snail's pace (not that I still don't, but this was before my armchair interest in FS translated to actually wanting to learn stuff) he used to pull me by the hand and drag me around the rink. Given that he seemed to fancy himself as a speedskater, it was a bit nerve-wracking at the time...  88) But now we just get silly and try to do simultaneous one-foot glides and crossovers in tandem, and doing fake "dance" moves while I drop hints about doing pairs :P

It's a bit frustrating though because whenever I show him what I've learned in class or something I've been spending an embarrassingly long time practicing, he picks it up in like 3 tries or so.  >:(
"For to be poised against fatality, to meet adverse conditions gracefully, is more than simple endurance; it is an act of aggression, a positive triumph. " - Thomas Mann

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 06:28:30 AM »
I've done ice dance at public sessions, but so far only with my partner, my own student, my husband (when I make him!) and a friend I was working with.  If a skater I didn't know indicated interest, I would offer to skate with them a little, but so far that hasn't happened.  Plenty of people who weren't skating, just sitting in the bleachers watching, have asked me questions about ice dance, but I can't skate with them!  (At least, not then!)

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:48:42 AM »
LOL,I just went over,asked a lady if she wanted to skate with me. Like we were Ice-Dancing and she said yes and guided me through. It felt good!!! I DID fall a lot doing it though. As it's NOT an easy thing to do. I to;ld her it was my FIRST TIME doing it. That I've never done it before. She said I did very well at the end.

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:58:07 AM »
Strangers, no.  My partner, yes.  But not like ice dance or anything.  And I can't stand it!  I skate faster than him, feel like being tied down to another person doesn't let me fully move when I stroke, etc....so I usually humor him for like half a lap and then let go and take off.  Poor thing.  No wonder he doesn't want to go skating with me much!
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."

Offline sofakartoffel

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 16
  • Jeg forlod mit hjerte i København.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 03:42:22 PM »
Haha, Kat! I hope one day to have the same problem as you :) My SO can still lap me around the rink any day (he's a track/xc runner, and I'm a decrepit, unathletic person), but he doesn't want to go skating with me much either!  I've subjected his poor feet to too many ill-fitting rentals from various rinks and I wonder whether I should just buy him his own recreational pair since I make him go skating with me so much ...
"For to be poised against fatality, to meet adverse conditions gracefully, is more than simple endurance; it is an act of aggression, a positive triumph. " - Thomas Mann