You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice Dynamics  (Read 5628 times)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
Ice Dynamics
« on: April 03, 2014, 09:14:43 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the new Ice Dynamics personalized workouts, http://icedynamics.net/

I am interested by their competitive track training and  wanted to know what people thought of the program and specially if it is worth the money. I mean, I have a gym membership and they have physical trainers, but none are specialized in skating or anything possibly related to skating. I have noticed that strength training makes a difference in my skating, but I wanted something more specialized and guided.  Also, I suck at working out at home, home is a bit of sacred relaxation place for me. So DVDs and things like that don't work very well for me. I am really intrigued by the guided progression that such a program might give, but the price tag seems really high. I like the idea of having a book in printed form with all my workouts where I can see the progress.

Any recommendations? or food for thoughts? There is also a group discount if more people want to try it.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Ice Dynamics
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »
I looked at a few of their sample videos and didn't see anything that I would consider to be skating specific. Skating, like most activities, is easier if one has a strong flexible lean body. The sample clips I saw promoted that, but is nothing different than what you could get with your gym membership, IMO. I didn't look at the price of their program.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »
I'm curious, but don't have time just now to go through their website.  I glanced at it though.  I've been doing Sk8strong adult and basically like it.  Can you either PM me or post more details here?  Especially how much it costs and how many would be needed for the group discount?

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:41:34 AM »
I'm curious, but don't have time just now to go through their website.  I glanced at it though.  I've been doing Sk8strong adult and basically like it.  Can you either PM me or post more details here?  Especially how much it costs and how many would be needed for the group discount?

As far as I can tell,  the basic idea is a personalized off ice training program based on your competitive schedule and goals. They have three tracks, the Jr. Comp, the Comp and The Elite track, basically each track has  six training phases that are scheduled for your  schedule, and each track has specific exercises which are chosen for you depending on where in your training cycle you are to help with overall off-ice. The length and intensity of the workout is varied based on the 6 phases. For me the most appealing with is the fact I don't have to think about what exercises and how much exercise to do in each of the phases, it is simply calculated for you and you can have access a printed copy of your schedule or have a phone app with all your exercises. Also, it allows for personalization based on your comp schedule, and if they dont have your intended major comp schedule you can provide it to them.

For three months the prices are 90, 120,150 USD but you can't get group rates for those.
If you do the Year Subscription 300, 400, 500 USD, but there is a group rate discount: 5 - 9 skaters  =  5% discount, 10-19 skaters  = 10% discount groups do not need to use the same track, nor need to be part of the club, nor same coach.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 10:49:27 AM »
For many years the Ice Dynamics® Training Manual has been well respected within the skating community. The writer, Kat Arbour, a sports PT (I think) and physical trainer, with connections to the University of Delaware competitive training center, did a lot of traveling to skating competitions, where she sold the manual and videos.

I've looked at it, and tried some of the exercises. AFAICT it is well written - but it is explicitly aimed at hard core elite competitive athletes, perhaps like you, not like me.

The manual provides a lot of information on how skaters should train and otherwise stay in shape, including exercise, and on injury prevention. You can find information in it on things like periodization and diet, which less comprehensive training materials omit.

Now the website says "The training manual will be discontinued after these last few are sold." Perhaps the writer prefers to work more professionally instead of playing competition gypsy...

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Ice Dynamics
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 12:36:36 AM »
I believe there are some of the stretches and routines done by her posted on the usfsa site. Let me see if I can find the link! I know I downloaded them :)

Edit: found the link - http://iceskatingresources.org/ExercisePrograms.html

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 08:43:49 AM »
Thanks for the update guys. I have been looking at the website again and will probably just get the manual and spend a few hours making my own schedule. Now that conference and observing season is starting and I will be missing sessions, I need to make sure I have a schedule I can follow when away from home.

Offline Loops

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:25:23 AM »
Sorry.  I've been meaning to look at their site and see how much specialized equipment they require.  I noted on their "sale" page that they were selling some pretty heavy duty stuff, so presume that it's required for their workouts.  I don't have access to a gym (they don't offer day-care at them they way they do in the US and UK).  TBH, the price kind of puts me off though..... 

If you end up liking the manual, I'd be curious to know how much is do-able at home.  That's been working well for me recently.  I know with a trainer I'd probably do better, but as it is I do notice a difference in my skating.  Fwiw, I do really like the sk8strong stuff.  Everything she offers is downloadable so no shipping (including her manual, which I am also eyeballing), and best you get access to the owner, who is pretty wonderful about sharing information.   Plus it's not equipment intensive. You certainly could do it in a gym, and probably even get a trainer involved.  With minimal investment though you can have something at home that's reasonably portable for those conferences, in case you land somewhere with no gym.  I actually took most of it skiing a few weeks ago so I could work out during DD's nap.

You and I are ion different tracks with our skating though, so I recognize that you're looking for something pretty intense that's going to really help you move into the elite ranks.  I don't know how her competitive skater/advanced workout program compares to the IceDynamics.  I bet she does and might even be willing to discuss with you the pros/cons of each.  Her name on here is rsk8d; she's very nice and based on things she's said to me and what I've seen on her website, I have confidence in her knowledge, and she supports her products.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »
Ice Dynamics competes directly with sk8strong.com - sk8strong's owner posts a lot on this forum as rsk8d.

I noted on their "sale" page that they were selling some pretty heavy duty stuff, so presume that it's required for their workouts.  I don't have access to a gym (they don't offer day-care at them they way they do in the US and UK).

As with most of sk8strong's exercises, the exercises in Kat's manual can be done with no equipment, or with the type of stuff you can buy for a few dollars in discount stores (Walmart, etc.), or can easily make - e.g., stretch bands and exercise balls. (Though it is possible there is a new edition of Kat's manual that emphasizes more expensive equipment.)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 04:54:31 AM »
It seems as you guys are much more pro Sk8strong. Is there a reason why?
I have been eyeing their stuff for a while as well, but like with most things that come in DVD form I am hesitate. Call me old fashioned, everyone does!!! I rather have a book at hand. I just notice though that their manual is also available in hard copy.

TBH, the price kind of puts me off though..... 

You and I are ion different tracks with our skating though, so I recognize that you're looking for something pretty intense that's going to really help you move into the elite ranks.  I don't know how her competitive skater/advanced workout program compares to the IceDynamics.  I bet she does and might even be willing to discuss with you the pros/cons of each.  Her name on here is rsk8d; she's very nice and based on things she's said to me and what I've seen on her website, I have confidence in her knowledge, and she supports her products.

Honestly for me the price of Ice Dynamics puts me of as well, which is why I have been hesitating on it.  So I guess I am in that hesitation moment, where I seem to find something wrong with everything and end up not making a decision at all.  I'll definitively send rsk8d, a message and talk to her directly.

Offline Loops

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 05:52:36 AM »
It seems as you guys are much more pro Sk8strong. Is there a reason why?
I have been eyeing their stuff for a while as well, but like with most things that come in DVD form I am hesitate. Call me old fashioned, everyone does!!! I rather have a book at hand. I just notice though that their manual is also available in hard copy.

I think it's just ME on this thread that keeps mentioning sk8strong!  But I like it, so I'll 'splain.

I discovered it through another thread on this forum, and someone else was saying how effective the workout was. Rsk8d commented in on that thread as well.  It intrigued me that the owner was pretty much right there, and like that she's a part of this group.   I had been also looking at the "bootcamp" DVD, which is $50CAN and more than I'm willing to spend for a DVD.  I would much rather be at a gym with a trainer, but that's just not an option for me right now.  I hadn't heard of IceDynamics, so it wasn't in consideration.  I looked through the Sk8strong website, and liked what I saw in terms of info, and the prices were more in line with what I'm be willing to pay.  Her articles are well written and make sense, and the DVD samples she has on Youtube looked good.  I waffled for a while too, but then a sale came up (advertised on her FB page), so I bought an ipod version.  I LOVE the downloadable version- it is more portable, MUCH easier to store, and for those of us outside the US, shipping is free and NO CUSTOMS charges!

The only thing I would have done differently is check in with her before I decided which workout to get.  I was indecisive, ended up with adult, and probably would have preferred the competitive.  But between rsk8d's suggestions and other things I'm doing to supplement (found on these forums and our friend youtube), I'm happy.  I rotate between the three cycles (do each at least once a week, or that's the goal at least).  I like that the video isn't really organised like a classic workout that you follow along.  She demos all the exercises in each circuit, discusses form (sometimes adding a visual on the wrong form so you can compare directly), how to make it more challenging and moves on.  At the beginning I just paused the vid while I finished out the sets.  I basically now use the video like a book-in-motion, referencing when I need to.  I will swap out and add in things that either I need/want to work on, or if my shoulder hurts, or if I discover that my stupid target-special yoga ball is flat again [eyeroll].  I also did that while on vacay- aforementioned stupid yoga ball did NOT make the cut.  The 1/2 foam roll and theraband did though.

In the download are also files detailing the progressions for each exercise, equipment needed and how to manage injuries.   I am a total nerd and would have loved to see more discussion/information on how working/strengthening x y or z in a particular way would help my skating.  So that's the only thing I'd change.  But when I was talking to her directly about some things, she did go into those details.  So maybe it's in the manual!  For that, she doesn't post a TOC, which I wish she did, because I'd like to know how detailed it is.

There is a strong possibility I will pick up her manual this summer when I'm stateside.  I am right there with you in wanting the printed word, but I think the demo's in the video are a really nice compliment, in lieu of a proper trainer.  I guess I could download it, but I'd still want it printed and bound so then I'd have to sort that out.  I might still go that route, depending on what else I need to bring back from the states.

HTH!

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »
I didn't mean to favor one company over another.

Sk8strong's stuff is usable immediately - little extra reading required. Exercises for all levels of skater.

Ice Dynamics was to partially designed for coaches - you thoughtfully put together a customized training program that meets the needs of each specific athlete, at each time period within the annual competitive cycle. And it is definitely geared towards serious competitive skaters who spend a lot of time training more than to the casual recreational skater. Again, no exercise video that you can follow along with in your daily exercise program.

No doubt both approaches have their advantages.

The cost of the manual for either company is about the cost of one private skating lesson. If you are serious about training, maybe you could buy both and decide where to go from there?

Or you could go to a department store and buy a cheap non-skating specific exercise video, with a nice music and video routine you can follow along with in front of your TV. No thought or memory required, basic exercise goals accomplished.

OTOH, if you aren't a hard-core competitive athlete, basic exercises (e.g., jogging, swimming, basic strength training, stretching what you need to) and the sport itself may be all you need. Maybe you don't need to buy anything.

If you ask other skaters, of all ages, many love to show off their individual exercise routines.

Please yourself!

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »
Does Skate Strong offer their videos in a format that can easily be loaded onto a smartphone or tablet.

I don't even have a DVD player,  and haven't for years. I'd need it in a digital format, or at least an app with a Login for verification that can cache them and play them at HD resolution.

Also is the Manual Available as PDF or ePub?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 04:43:07 PM »
The sk8strong.com videos are available in mp4 formats as well as DVD.  I know you don't use iOS products, but you're tech-savvy.  (You could easily convert the format; cnet.com has some shareware and freeware to do the deed.)  http://www.sk8strong.com/ipodcatalog.html

icedynamics.com hosts their videos online (as does icoachskating.com,) so you'd need an internet connection in order to watch the demo workouts.  The "personal skating trainer" approach also makes it unique, with personalized workouts that change periodically.

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
The MP4 will play on my phone. I think I might buy one or two of her videos. That makes it super convenient.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
Does Skate Strong offer their videos in a format that can easily be loaded onto a smartphone or tablet.

I don't even have a DVD player,  and haven't for years. I'd need it in a digital format, or at least an app with a Login for verification that can cache them and play them at HD resolution.

Also is the Manual Available as PDF or ePub?

Yes, I have the Competitive Skater loaded onto my iPad - love that it's so portable. I'd like to do it at the rink once a week this fall, would you be interested in doing it with me? Adult Off Ice? Then you could try the program and see if you like it before buying.

Sk8Strong also has demo videos on youtube so you can "try before you buy".

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »
Yes, I have the Competitive Skater loaded onto my iPad - love that it's so portable. I'd like to do it at the rink once a week this fall, would you be interested in doing it with me? Adult Off Ice? Then you could try the program and see if you like it before buying.

Sk8Strong also has demo videos on youtube so you can "try before you buy".
Yes!