You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Brand new skates and serious cramping? Normal, or am I doing something wrong?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline mmady16

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Hi! Due to remodeling, my rink hasn't been open for a few weeks, so I haven't been able to go to a lesson with my new skates until tonight! They're Mystiques and I absolutely love them, except for one problem. About halfway in (30 mins), I started to have some cramping in my feet and maybe even a sensation that could be associated with them falling asleep? It wasn't too bad though, just more of a cramp. Once I got my skates of though, the pain was tremendous. I could barely move my right foot it was cramped so bad, it subsided quickly (15 min or so) but left me terrified I had tied my skates wrong or was fitted wrong. Is this all just because my feet are adjusting to new, MUCH stiffer skates compared to the absolutely crappy rentals? I read somewhere that you should only skate in 30 minute increments when breaking in skates, could this also be a contributing factor? I'm new to all of this so any help would be amazing!

Also, when is a good time to start private lessons? I'm only just in Basic 2, but a girl next to me (younger than I by a quite a bit) said that she started privates with our coach. Should I wait until I get to the higher levels, or start now? I'm fifteen.

Thanks again!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Maybe the blood circulation is getting cut off because the skates are tied too tightly.  However, in my experience this usually improves within one minute of taking the skates off.

New skates frequently hurt for a while.

Private lessons:  It depends on your budget, practice time, and how well the group classes are working for you.  But I do not think private lessons are necessary at the basic 2 level, except maybe for small children who cannot practice on their own.  You typically need privates to test or compete (at least in America).  We have a bunch of threads on this topic.

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
The vaguely crampy sensation is normal for the first few skates. It's going to be uncomfortable for awhile as your feet and your skates get to know each other. If it continues, take them to a skate tech and make sure you're fitted right. If the toes are falling asleep after skating in them regularly, then definitely take them to a tech and have them looked at.

I'm breaking in my second pair of skates at the moment, and the first run out was awful. But by hour four, I was feeling much better and even tying them tighter. The first pair of skates I broke in was like skating in a cast for the first week. I've heard the "30 minute increment" advice, but I'm one of those "go for it and fie the consequences" people, so I skated as normally as I could in new skates.

You can start working with a private coach when you feel you're ready, and your budget allows. I think it really depends on what you want out of skating; just for fun, testing, competing, what you want to do.

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
My daughter is in lessons, not I - BUT I bought Jackson Artistes to be able to recreationally skate with her during her free public sessions she receives with her paid lessons.

Anyways - first 3-4 hours - my feet were NUMB. I did not have them punched out and these PVC coated skates cannot be heat molded. After about 10 hours they fit great, no pain BUT now I see where I could use more support/stiffer boots.  I read somewhere to not lace up the top notch and to do mostly stroking, cross overs (if you can), and basic edges to help.

Also my daugher is doing Basic 2 skills and not one person has mentioned she needs private lessons yet.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Yeah, I had that problem with new skates. You can try tying them in different ways-for example don't tie a knot at the ankle, and don't loop over the top hooks. Also, don't tie them really tight around the forefoot until they get broken in.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Also, don't tie them really tight around the forefoot until they get broken in.

Second this.