You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Retaining Skills while off ice  (Read 6115 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Retaining Skills while off ice
« on: May 07, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »
I'm expecting to go in for a major operation on my shoulder in a month. I think on the optimistic side, I'm going to be off the ice for about two months. Any ideas on how to a) keep myself sane and b) try to retain some muscle strength in my legs. I'm guessing I won't be doing much more than walking for the first few weeks so I'm looking for things to incorporate into my physical therapy regime. I know I'll be dedicated in doing the exercises to help heal the shoulder, so I'm hoping that I'll have the same dedication to helping my legs.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Retaining Skills while off ice
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
If your surgery involves the rotator cuff you should not expect to do any exercise which raises your pulse/blood pressure for quite awhile.  :-\

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:43:51 AM »
If your surgery involves the rotator cuff you should not expect to do any exercise which raises your pulse/blood pressure for quite awhile.  :-\

It's actually to remove the top rib, so it's going to upset the shoulder but hopefully not the rotator cuff.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:10:08 AM »
Thoracic outlet syndrome?
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »
Cervical rib?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »
Not cervical rib and yes Vascular Thoracic outlet syndrome.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »
Hmm how about squats? If you can't do the dynamic squats, you can do wall sits instead.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
Hmm how about squats? If you can't do the dynamic squats, you can do wall sits instead.

Squats do need the shoulders unless you have a safety bar, if you mean barbell squats.

Personally if you wanna mimic skating, just use a slideboard. Go on a slideboard forever and it's like using a skating treadmill. I used a slideboard for like 2-3 months easily before I ever touched a weight. Well, eventually I started using the slideboard with dumbells in my hands. But it's directly applicable to the stroking motion in skating, the slideboard, and it's much more fun to mess around on one of those than a treadmill or elliptical.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »

What are dynamic squats?
I was thinking I was probably going to end up doing quite a few squats (possibly one legged so I can retain a sit spin and maybe even get the strength for a back sit).

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 07:56:23 PM »
What are dynamic squats?
I was thinking I was probably going to end up doing quite a few squats (possibly one legged so I can retain a sit spin and maybe even get the strength for a back sit).

Actually that's just a term I coined, lol! I started with static squats (just holding a position for as long as I can). Eventually I moved up to regular squats (the "dynamic" ones) that most people are used to. For me, they are harder than the static ones. Usually when I start from a lower activity level, I start with the wall sit for the first few sessions, then gradually include regular squats.

Offline LoveMyVike

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old post but I'm a newbie here who also has Thoracic Outlet Sydrome.  Just started skating again as a 35 year old on blood thinners so I'm reading all these posts with great interest. Trying to find off ice exercises that will help when I'm back skating. Wondering how the TOS affects your skating? My left arm swells a lot still and I need to wear my compression sleeves occasionally.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 12:16:37 AM »
Sorry to bring up an old post but I'm a newbie here who also has Thoracic Outlet Sydrome.  Just started skating again as a 35 year old on blood thinners so I'm reading all these posts with great interest. Trying to find off ice exercises that will help when I'm back skating. Wondering how the TOS affects your skating? My left arm swells a lot still and I need to wear my compression sleeves occasionally.

Send me a private message (I might forget to send one to you otherwise as I'm about to go skating) and I'll tell you everything about living and skating with TOS.
But just wanted to say it can and will get better.