You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Freestyle blades are evil!  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Freestyle blades are evil!
« on: September 14, 2015, 03:23:54 PM »
Yesterday, for fun, switched back to an old pair of Ultima Supreme (Matrix 1 runner) blades. (I only used them a few weeks, before switching back to dance blades.

I think I hear Kate Moseley gleefully exclaiming "Toe pick!"

Toe picks keep getting in the way, making noise, slowing me down, and messing up everything.

(No wonder most freestyle skaters are taught to lean back while skating forwards.)

Plus, because the blades are relatively new, and are Ultima (which have much sharper edges straight from the factory than do MK and Wilson blades), the edge across the back of each blade is still very sharp. If I roll too far back, they scratch (while moving forwards), or grab (while moving backwards). (The toe picks are also very sharp, which doesn't help.)

Freestyle blades may be longer, but there is a much shorter distance to roll through, which also makes it harder for me to go fast, or move smoothly. (Perhaps it helps that these are upper level freestyle blades...)

It seems impossible that anyone can love these blades!

---------------------

I'm thinking of slightly rounding off the backs (you know, like a skate sharpener who has only seen hockey skates :) ), so they don't scratch and catch.

What are the adverse consequences? Do some of you use that back sharp edge for back 3-turns, etc.?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Freestyle blades are evil!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
This is so interesting to me because I keep thinking that maybe I would like FS blades better than my dance blades!!

I'm wondering if maybe a shallower ROH would help that grabbing problem...

I am thinking that a FS blade would feel like skis.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »
I'm quite fond of my freestyle blades.   But only because they've had the bottom pick entirely removed.    And yeah, the heel corner is getting a bit rounded off.   I ice skate so rarely these days, that these features are a blessing.    Just don't have well developed enough instincts to stay off them.

I do have a pair of identical, but non-molested, blades to fit one day.   That is if I ever get the urge to learn to jump or spin.   But for the current MITF & figures stuff I'm doing there seems no point.    Intact picks & sharp heels would just impede my progress.

As for back-3s, I have been doing them with a blunt heel, but it's very very much still possible to dig the heel in and spin on it, but I'm not sure that's the right technique anyway.    Aren't you supposed to pivot on the centre of the rear third of the blade?    Certainly on inlines and roller skates,  you don't even have a "picked heel" available to do B3s.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 03:53:18 PM »
I am thinking that a FS blade would feel like skis.

Oh yes, just like skis:)