You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Switching blades?  (Read 3069 times)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
Switching blades?
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
My daughters Riedell strides are in and her current Jubilee blade will fit - he said its a better blade than the Capri that comes on the in stock skates.

How long does this take usually to switch out blades? And I am guessing the Capri blade is a super cheap blade? I thought about maybe selling them with the old boots to recoup some $.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Switching blades?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 05:27:52 AM »
Switching blades doesn't take that long. It's mainly the time taken to unscrew and then rescrew the blade on. Especially if you can reuse the old holes, otherwise there's a little time for plugging and drilling.

As you're talking about beginner boots, I'd put the new blades on the old boots as it's easier for someone to get started if it's a set.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:02:38 AM »
She has lesson during the week and can't be skate-less. So we will just hang around (1 hr drive) or have to have my shop do the switch.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 08:41:58 AM »
She might like a practice before her lesson just to give her a chance to break the new boots in. Things always feel different the first time you skate in new boots. So what was easy the day before becomes difficult (but the skills come back pretty quickly).

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »
There is always a risk that you will strip a screw hole when you re-tighten the screw. That takes a while, and knowledge, to deal with.

If any round screw holes on the same mounting plate are unused, you may be able to use one of them instead of the stripped hole.

If that solution isn't available, the simplest solution is removing the screw and filling the hole with Shoe Goo, and re-inserting the screw - which takes about 72 hours to set. I haven't tried using Barge Cement instead, which sets in 1 day - I'm not sure if you can easily remove the screw again if you have to. And I'm not sure how much you can speed up the set with a hair drier.

A very good Pro Shop Skate Tech who has practiced it, can fill the hole in a minute or two - but it does take practice.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:05 AM »
There is always a risk that you will strip a screw hole when you re-tighten the screw. That takes a while, and knowledge, to deal with.

If any round screw holes on the same mounting plate are unused, you may be able to use one of them instead of the stripped hole.

If that solution isn't available, the simplest solution is removing the screw and filling the hole with Shoe Goo, and re-inserting the screw - which takes about 72 hours to set. I haven't tried using Barge Cement instead, which sets in 1 day - I'm not sure if you can easily remove the screw again if you have to. And I'm not sure how much you can speed up the set with a hair drier.

A very good Pro Shop Skate Tech who has practiced it, can fill the hole in a minute or two - but it does take practice.

There are extra holes on current skates and hoping since the Strides are also leather soles (& not plastic) that those will not have the blades mounted using every hole.

Otherwise I will have to have our local shop deal with it.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:03:48 AM »
She might like a practice before her lesson just to give her a chance to break the new boots in. Things always feel different the first time you skate in new boots. So what was easy the day before becomes difficult (but the skills come back pretty quickly).

Her fitting is after the last PS session at the rink next door, but I told her we could skate there beforehand (mommy had to do the driving and was way to tired last time to stick around, but hubby will be along for the ride this time). We do plan to heat mold them and I can take her in before her lesson to skate around for 30 min or so. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »
Her fitting is after the last PS session at the rink next door, but I told her we could skate there beforehand (mommy had to do the driving and was way to tired last time to stick around, but hubby will be along for the ride this time). We do plan to heat mold them and I can take her in before her lesson to skate around for 30 min or so.

She'll probably be just fine with them. It's us old adults who moan and groan about changing boots and blades. The kids do it so regularly they just get on with it.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
Well we did heat molding and blade switching and sharpening and it took all of an hour? They fit her really well too, thankfully.