You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Removing skate tape  (Read 1623 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Removing skate tape
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:41:34 PM »
I come to pick up my sharpened skates and surprise!  my technician hands me my boots in skate tape!  She thought she was doing me a favor since my toes are getting scratched.   I am really not a fan of skate tape, so with what would you recommend removing it ?  Is is better to do it while it is new or wait longer?  After having skated, I am already seeing it peel off in a couple of spots and leave residue on the boot.
Thanks!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Removing skate tape
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 12:49:20 AM »
Peel it off slowly and steadily, and then if you have any residue, acetone (like nail polish remover, but you can buy straight acetone from hardware stores) will get it off.

Sk8tape's pretty good really. My whole boots are taped because they were secondhand and the leather was pretty chewed up, meaning no amount of boot polish was going to make those puppies presentable.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Removing skate tape
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »
You have a very full service skate shop! Perhaps, the pro will freely remove what he added unasked? Even asking his advice on how to remove the tape could be a subtle hint not to do it again.

Don't know about skate tape, but the longer duct tape is on something, the harder it is to get off.

Yesterday I saw a person with skates that had been very neatly taped with a lovely tie-dye-floral print cloth tape.