You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Helping kids learn to tie their own (expletive deleted!) skates?  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Helping kids learn to tie their own (expletive deleted!) skates?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »
You have to practice until you get some calluses.

I don't think I have calluses. Wrapping the laces around the hands, rather than holding the lace between fingers alone, helps a lot.

So does using as large a diameter round lace as I can. The 3mm nylon cord I linked to before,

http://www.rei.com/product/799630/pmi-3mm-utility-cord-package-of-50-ft

doesn't have ends to pull through holes - but because they are nylon, you can melt and roll the ends with a match or other heat source until they do. (Not with your bare fingers - hot!) And $5 for 50' (enough for 2 pairs of boots) is acceptable. It doesn't come in white, black, tan or pink, but you can find other nylon "utility cord" or "parachute cord" that does. Though, as some people mentioned, not all lace holes are the same size.

If you do use flat lace, it helps a lot to use the widest lace you can - e.g., hockey lace, if it will fit.

And it is extremely important that you don't let flat lace twist, because pulling hard on twisted cord is like pulling on very thin cord, which increases the pressure and abrasion on the skin.

But maybe a lady or girl with very delicate skin won't find these things sufficient?

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »
... or if the shop believes in customer service and installs laces so try on is fast and easy.  Happens more with boots that were ordered (not in stock) that need try ons before the blades are mounted. 

Years ago, I had asked a clerk if he was inventorying the many boxes of skates behind the counter.  He said no, they were new stock and he had to put the laces in so that browsing customers wouldn't misplace the laces.  (I think he was implying that they'd be pilfered.)  That shop just stacked the boxes up against a wall for customers to go through when searching for the right size, like a discount shoe store vs. a high-end shoe store.  Most shops bring skates out for a supervised try on to eliminate mixups (mis-matched skates, wrong box, etc.) but this one was self-serve.

This, I believe.  My skate shop in the US had laces in everything I tried on when I was there last.  Can't remember how it was when I was a kid.  And he has an impressive stock given that it's just him and his wife!  Over here, I had to spend a good portion of time putting laces in to try things on on, every one of the 7 or 8 pairs, in fact.  The clerk did help me out though.  Neither shop is really self serve, but the second shop does have the inventory piled up against the walls, whereas my US shop he manages everything.

But still I think they arrive unlaced, so that could explain why the OP had different length laces in the two pairs of boots.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »
I kid you people not, I am at the rink right now, tied one kid's skates, and turned around to see the other just finishing tying hers. Another problem solved simply by posting about it?! Maybe not entirely. She says she only did it because "I couldn't see you." (I was really invisible crouched next to her sister?) But now I know she can do it, so she'll do it more. :-)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 02:38:11 PM »
I was ordered by coach to "stop" tying laces as, at comps, parents aren't allowed in dressing rooms. So, we had them tie their own.  However, I will say that it was a bit of a disaster at first.  I'm good at lacing skates; I got "trained" by a coach on how to do it, and have strong fingers and callouses. When my kids took over lacing their own, they ended up with them being too loose on the foot and too tight on the ankle, and there was a fair bit of time spent off the ice as their coach made them relace them to make it correct. Eventually, they did get it, but it took time, and their coach did have to check them regularly to make sure they were done right.

In terms of laces, I found the best ones for my DD were the Jackson ones with the rhinestones on the toes (and the Jackson ones without too, but, they weren't as much fun for the 8 year old she was then.).  They held the best, and were the easiest on small fingers.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 10:54:58 PM »
Ooh good tip on the rhinestones. I will look for those because yeah, who wouldn't want rhinestone laces?

Right now we are at a place where they tie them if I am not around and we aren't in a rush. But when we get to the rink in the morning we are usually in a hurry and I am faster, so I do it. Which is not really ideal but they're learning new programs to compete in one month and I really don't want to lose ice time so I can make my lace-tying stand! I see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that is good enough for now!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
Ooh good tip on the rhinestones. I will look for those because yeah, who wouldn't want rhinestone laces?

Right now we are at a place where they tie them if I am not around and we aren't in a rush. But when we get to the rink in the morning we are usually in a hurry and I am faster, so I do it. Which is not really ideal but they're learning new programs to compete in one month and I really don't want to lose ice time so I can make my lace-tying stand! I see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that is good enough for now!

Not a parent, but I read the following tip on Xanboni (how I miss her regular posts)

Have the kids practice lacing the boots at home.

I add. Time them. or if there's 2, make it a race. Over and over.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2015, 08:06:02 AM »

Not a parent, but I read the following tip on Xanboni (how I miss her regular posts)

Have the kids practice lacing the boots at home.

I add. Time them. or if there's 2, make it a race. Over and over.

I miss her regular posts, too! And practicing at home is such a simple but smart idea. Not sure why it didn't occur to me before.

I can't make them race, though. They're competitive enough with each other! :-)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »
Is Xanboni no longer blogging?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2015, 05:56:59 PM »
Is Xanboni no longer blogging?

Not on the regular basis she used to. It's every few months now.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/