You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Limitations of adult skaters?  (Read 15554 times)

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Limitations of adult skaters?
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »
So I am a beginner Figure Skater now at 19 years old, and I am very determined to learn many elements.

My question:
What I am asking is, as I know skaters who start from the age of walking tend to have a harder time as they age and go through puberty, and all this talk about higher center of gravity.....what are the limitations of beginning once you're older?

My backstory:
I am looking to skate not for competitions (at least not yet, adult nationals would be a dream if I could work up to them!) However I am known to attempt things that I may not be ready for, such as wrongly landing a self-taught jump and quite severely spraining my ankle.   :sweat This injury set me back many weeks, and while I am still not too afraid of the ice, I am planning on doing it the right way and starting with group lessons and working up to getting a private coach (time and $ is an issue for me as a student). Within the last week of starting, I can do forward and backward crossovers, all the basic stops, one foot & two foot glide, 3-rev two foot spin... but would love to one day be flexible enough to do a biellman spin, a strong spiral and maybe even some double jumps.
19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* perfect my stroking, look confident on the ice with power and speed
* reach Freestyle 1
* increase my flexibility in back and legs
* increase my overall body strength

long-term Goals:
* be flexible enough to do a Biellmann
* do double jumps & combo spins

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Limitations of adult skaters?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »
I don't think you are really limited at 19 with what you can do.

Yes, kids may be more flexible and have less fear generally. The puberty thing is more an issue because young skaters learn to jump and spin with one center of gravity and all of a sudden you are taller and weigh more and everything you knew has changed.

There are many adult skaters on here landing doubles, and I think even a few landing triples. :) a number of them started skating in their 20s as well.

Flexibility may be harder for an adult than a kid but really barring any injury or other condition, I don't see why there should be any limit to what an adult skater can accomplish.

There's just that issue of time and money! Lol

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »
I don't think you are really limited at 19 with what you can do.

Yes, kids may be more flexible and have less fear generally. The puberty thing is more an issue because young skaters learn to jump and spin with one center of gravity and all of a sudden you are taller and weigh more and everything you knew has changed.

There are many adult skaters on here landing doubles, and I think even a few landing triples. :) a number of them started skating in their 20s as well.

Flexibility may be harder for an adult than a kid but really barring any injury or other condition, I don't see why there should be any limit to what an adult skater can accomplish.

There's just that issue of time and money! Lol

Couldn't have said it better!! thank you!!  :WS:
19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* reach Freestyle 1

long-term Goals:

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
I was nearly 40 when I started and am slowly working up to my singles. My ultimate goals are layback spin and axel and double sal. Time, money, and body will determine which ones I meet.

At 19, they sky's the limit. The Olympics are probably out, but you can do anything starting as young as you are.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
Started at 55.

Anyway, you're young, so yes probably elite skating at the international level is out, in particular because it would take you time to get through all the qualifying tests. But there's always adult skating (which is both national and international) and you don't have to worry about making deadlines like the kids do. Given your youth, you might be able to get an axel and some doubles with enough ice time and decent coaching.

Fortunately as a 19 year old you  probably don't have musculo-skeletal issues or joint issues. Do you have rich parents? That's always an advantage.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline amkw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:50:13 PM »
I'm 23 and just starting up again (last time I really practiced was age 14) and I definitely think your goals are realistic :) As a fellow student I would definitely say our main limitations are time and money at this point (just dropped a bunch on new skates and signing up for lessons  :blush:) but I think with dedication you will be able to reach all of your goals. Patience as well :)

I don't really have any tips as I'm not incredibly experienced but I do want to wish you the best of luck! I look forward to hearing about your journey on the forums :) we're all here to support you!

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »
At 19, they sky's the limit. The Olympics are probably out, but you can do anything starting as young as you are.

That's awesome to hear! (I'm also an teenage beginner (last year) like Mint27, and it's good to know that there's a lot possible.)

And I agree, the cost is a a really big thing. :)
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline kr1981

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
19 is young! I skated all through high school (13-18) and quit in 1999. I just returned 2 1/2 months ago at age 32. Before I got back on the ice--and for the first few times I went out there--I thought, I'm not going to jump again, I'm way too old for that. I figured I'd take lessons, but skip the stuff that I was too old for, or maybe take up ice dancing. I just figured there would be a lot of limitations.

But, I quickly learned how silly that assumption was! It didn't take me long to realize that even in my 30s, there was absolutely no reason why I couldn't learn to jump and spin all over again. So, 19 is definitely not too old to begin, and eventually be able to reach an advanced level. I doubt flexibility will even be an issue for you. I remember going skating with some friends in college when I was 20. Even though I had quit skating--and doing stretches--a couple years prior, I could still pop a really high spiral. Of course, now at 32, it's a totally different story! I don't know exactly when my natural flexibility dropped off, but it was definitely well past age 20. So, I think you'll be fine there.

As far as the center of gravity thing, you don't have to worry about that since you're learning to skate for the first time. As others have said, that's an issue when you learned to skate, and then you grow a lot, or gain (or, I assume lose) a lot of weight. Your balance completely changes and you have to pretty much relearn everything. This is what I'm currently dealing with, since I've gained 40 lbs. since I was 18 and am much more top-heavy now, LOL! It's annoying, because much of my muscle memory from the old days doesn't work for me anymore. But, you won't have to deal with that since you're starting at 19, as opposed to say, returning after quitting when you were 9 years old.

Good luck! But more importantly, have fun! :)

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:40:41 PM »
Thanks guys, you're all so helpful and positive!!!!! :D

I love that you're all so enthusiastic and how all of you are so determined to reach your goals.  :love:
19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* reach Freestyle 1

long-term Goals:

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »
Don't be offended when I say this, but I get a little tweaked when anyone starts a conversation about goals with what their limitations will be. It's like setting up your own obstacles.

I'm 37, started skating a little over 2 years ago. I never even thought about limitations, really. I still don't. I train and work, and let the hard spots reveal themselves and I work on them. Right now it's spinning. A year ago it was turning. Two years ago it was anxiety about my weight. Things come up that I didn't expect; a wonky hip, a longer foot, my landing knee needs babying after each session. And those aren't limits, they are just realities to my skating. A wonky hip and a cranky knee could have become a limitation, but I refused to let it. :)

And when it comes to competition goals; sure, Olympics are out, but is that really my goal or is that someone else's goal that's being imposed on me? Honest assessment of *your goals* and not another person's definition of skating success is critical. Don't let other people tell you what your success should look like.

Set your bar high, and do what needs to be done to get there. Skating is an endurance sport, so work with that day-to-day mindset with the big goals in hand, and you'll be fine. :)

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 11:48:04 AM »
Don't be offended when I say this, but I get a little tweaked when anyone starts a conversation about goals with what their limitations will be. It's like setting up your own obstacles.

I'm 37, started skating a little over 2 years ago. I never even thought about limitations, really. I still don't. I train and work, and let the hard spots reveal themselves and I work on them. Right now it's spinning. A year ago it was turning. Two years ago it was anxiety about my weight. Things come up that I didn't expect; a wonky hip, a longer foot, my landing knee needs babying after each session. And those aren't limits, they are just realities to my skating. A wonky hip and a cranky knee could have become a limitation, but I refused to let it. :)

And when it comes to competition goals; sure, Olympics are out, but is that really my goal or is that someone else's goal that's being imposed on me? Honest assessment of *your goals* and not another person's definition of skating success is critical. Don't let other people tell you what your success should look like.

Set your bar high, and do what needs to be done to get there. Skating is an endurance sport, so work with that day-to-day mindset with the big goals in hand, and you'll be fine. :)

OMG WOW, I absolutely LOVE your attitude about this!!! Lol I have a longer foot too, one of my feet is a size and a half larger than the other. I completely understand when you say it is like you are setting yourself up for obstacles, I am just very anxious and paranoid lol.
19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* reach Freestyle 1

long-term Goals:

Offline amkw

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »

This is amazing. Great attitude and it's very true!

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »
I agree, what an awesome perspective, pegasus99!

ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »
I agree that your goals are perfectly realistic.  Starting at 19, you should be able to get all of your double jumps--except maybe double axel, which many skaters never master even if they start at age 5.  Flexibility should also not be a problem, at least as far as flexibility that only involves muscles and tendons, like doing the splits (using stretches my physical therapist showed me, I managed to do splits for the first time in my life when I was in my 40's).  Just BE SMART and learn how to stretch correctly.  And listen to your body.  If you have back pain trying to develop your back bend, don't push it.  And if you can't turn your feet out while keeping your knees facing the same direction as your feet, it could be that your hip joints aren't located far enough out ("open hips") and you will never be able to do spread eagles or Ina Bauers without damaging your knees.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
I agree with everyone who has said that you should not think about your skating journey as one of limitations - especially at your age -

You have to be able to set realistic goals.  I have seen skaters at 19 say things like: "I'm going to go to the Olympics! I love Michelle Kwan!" (I have also seen skaters who started in their 50s say things like this) - that is unrealistic.

I skated as a kid from age 6-14 - never a high level skater AT ALL but I loved skating.  Because of the time/money (and career starting) issue I didn't come back to the ice full-time until I was 34 - but I have to tell you I never thought in terms of limitations - I thought I knew a LOT more than I really did, took a lot of really hard falls (ouch!) and started to train - in dance - that was 25 years ago. I look back at my younger self and thought that I was pretty fearless actually -

Now at 60 I know my limitations LOL but I still love to skate!!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 10:13:20 PM »
I agree that your goals are perfectly realistic.  Starting at 19, you should be able to get all of your double jumps--except maybe double axel, which many skaters never master even if they start at age 5.  Flexibility should also not be a problem, at least as far as flexibility that only involves muscles and tendons, like doing the splits (using stretches my physical therapist showed me, I managed to do splits for the first time in my life when I was in my 40's).  Just BE SMART and learn how to stretch correctly.  And listen to your body.  If you have back pain trying to develop your back bend, don't push it.  And if you can't turn your feet out while keeping your knees facing the same direction as your feet, it could be that your hip joints aren't located far enough out ("open hips") and you will never be able to do spread eagles or Ina Bauers without damaging your knees.

I would love to know what stretches you did! Even at 16, dancing since age 6 and dancing 10-15 hours per week I could never get all the way down into a split. But I really want to get more flexible even though I'm in my 40s.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 01:16:07 AM »
I would love to know what stretches you did! Even at 16, dancing since age 6 and dancing 10-15 hours per week I could never get all the way down into a split. But I really want to get more flexible even though I'm in my 40s.

Which split are you talking about?  I did tons of dance and skating in my youth, followed by a fair bit of yoga, I did do, and will get back my forward splits, I never ever could do the center/straddle split.  I still stretch it, and some other hip-opening stretches, but I think it's just my morphology- my hips aren't positioned "correctly" to have that kind of turnout.  Maybe you're in a similar situation? 

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 06:19:59 AM »
Yup, that sounds familiar. I got very close on my forward splits as a teen, but never all the way. It was actually funny, I was on a dance team in HS and one season we had to do a jump split with arms linked up in a kickline. My best friend and I had the same split problem and were also the tallest girls so we were in the center. One day our coach wondered aloud why we were so much taller than the other girls in the split than standing. Yeah lady, because I'm still 4" off the floor here!

I've never been able to get nearly that close with the center split. I don't have a great turnout and assume my hips are more closed. But I recently heard that flexibility in general is only 10% genetic and the rest is work, so I am intrigued. Especially because my girls seem to have inherited mine. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Loops

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 08:50:34 AM »
Hmmm.  I don't know if I agree on the 10% part- I'd say more, but at least for me, hard consistent work does pay off.  It took me ages of dedicated, determined stretching to get my splits.  I even had over-splits (think 1 old giant yellowpages under the front foot).  For my center splits, I've always been a good foot and a half off the ground.  Used to "fake" my spread eagles (read- further damage my knees), and probably my bower, too, but that was less noticeable.

I am very impressed that you could do a jump split!  That's something I never tried- scared the bejeezus out of me....

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 03:26:10 PM »
I was skeptical of the 10% too. It was someone on an NPR show, but I can't remember any of the details other than that I found it inspirational in the moment!

The jump split was terrifying but necessary if I wanted to stay on the team. That was probably my lifetime peak of flexibility, but I still could not get all the way down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Loops

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 03:36:10 PM »
Thanking my captains that they never did that to us!!

Doubletoe- I'm curious, too about the stretches your PT gave you.  Always nice to have additions to the routine!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 08:03:48 PM »
As others have said, your goals sound obtainable. I know $$$ is most times an issue for college students. My own daughter is junior in college. Look for skating opportunities at your college rink. My daughter can skate for free at her school's rink. Sometimes the hours are weird or don't work too well with her schedule. It's worth looking into though.

Same thing with yoga classes or Pilates or stretching classes. Often offered on campuses for free or very small fee. Take advantage. Her school offers skating as a PE class. Can count it as a general ed requirement.

I would spring for the $$ for group lessons and further down the line private lessons. It is a cost savings to learn things the right way the first time than spending that $$$$ correcting bad habits.

I am 46, very overweight and still skate. I have all my single jumps and several spins. I had started working on my axel last fall, but had to postpone when I was injured (totally non-skating related). It took several months to heal and I am now just getting back to where I was. It is only in the last year that I have had such issues healing up. At your young age, it shouldn't be an issue.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
Since several people asked. . . here is the stretching routine that got me my forward splits in both directions for the first time in my life at age 42.  The ones my physical therapist gave me were the hamstring stretches, which were the main key for me.  I still do this routine after every practice to maintain my splits and keep my muscles from tightening up (I'm 49 now). :)

STRETCHING FOR SPLITS

I stretch at the rink immediately after skating, and it takes about 30 minutes.
Here's what I do, and the order in which I do them. I always count 1-missisippi, 2-mississippi for a count of 30 on each stretch position (unless otherwise indicated).  NEVER BOUNCE.

1. Calf stretch - First, before the hamstring stretch
 - Stand on the top of a step on the ball of your foot and push your heel down, hold for 30 seconds, then switch feet, or
 - Grab a pole, bannister, wall, etc., put your heel on the floor and bottom of foot straight up vertically against the upright object.  Keep knee locked straight and bring body as upright as you can while keeping foot in place.  Repeat on other side.

2.  Straddle Hamstring stretch
Sit on the floor with your back against a wall or with something in front of you to grab.  Spread your legs as far apart as you can, then either use your hand(s) to push your lower back away from the wall or to grab something in front of you (a railing or table leg attached to the floor) and pull yourself forward.  Hold for 30 seconds, trying to flatten your lower back instead of rounding it.  Move your torso gently toward the right leg, back to middle, then to left leg.  Repeat several times. http://yoga.prevention.com/slideshows/uploads/1/15_10minham-_widelegstretchmiddle.jpg

3. Hamstring stretch with belt (supplemental stretch, if you can’t do #4 well)
- Lie on your back on the floor and bring one leg up.  Loop a belt around the bottom of the raised foot and use the belt to pull the leg up and toward you while keeping the leg locked out straight.  Hold for 30 seconds, gradually increasing the pull to feel a stretch.  Slowly move the leg to the left and hold, then to the right, and hold.  Do the same with the other leg.  http://www.yogajournal.com/media/originals/bas_228_01_sized.jpg

4.  Seated one leg hamstring stretch (easier after you've done the belt stretch and/or middle stretch)
- Sit on the floor with one leg outstretched in front of you and the other opened out and bent at at least a 90 degree angle so the sole of that foot rests against the inside of the thigh of the outstretched leg.  I like to have my back flush to the wall so that I can push my lower back away from the wall with one hand.  Arch your back and lower the torso--belly button down toward outstretched thigh--until you can hold your chest flat against the thigh (or the closest you can get without rounding your back).  Hold for 30 seconds.  Once you can hold your torso completely flattened to your thigh, with your face on your shin for a full 30 seconds, you have enough hamstring flexibility for a forward split 
Correct intermediate position:  http://turbofitnesssecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Lying-Hamstring-Stretch.jpg
Full position:  http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2011/12/48/5/192/1922729/088634d9ef87fcdb_janu-550.xxxlarge_0/i/One-Legged-Seated-Hamstring-Stretch.jpg

5.  Quad stretch
I get into the same position as the half split/hip flexor stretch (below), lean my torso forward, then bend my back leg to my butt.  I grab the back foot, completely relax the muscles of that leg, then pull my foot to my butt, like this: 
http://www.athleticsweekly.com/0/admin/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Table_Quad_Stretch.png
Then  I lift my torso to deepen the stretch.   I hold for 30 seconds, rolling a little to the inside and outside to stretch the inner and outer quads.   The more you raise your upper body, the deeper the stretch will be.  You can start with a band or belt if your quads are too tight.

4. Hip flexor stretch (half split)
- Using the top of a staircase, a low bench, etc., extend one leg behind you on the raised surface while bending the front leg at at least a 90 degree angle and keeping that front foot flat on the floor.  Keep your hips square and keep the knee of the back leg facing straight down to the floor; do not let your hip or leg turn out.  Push the hip of the back leg down and pull the torso back so you are upright.  Hold for 30 seconds.  Do the other side.  There’s also a floor variation where you bend the front leg to the side instead of straight down:  http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/9e/c1/9ec11049a8e04bd6dca14b0425cea07c.jpg

7.  Split on ballet barre (or the railing at your rink, whatever works)
- This is the stretch to do once you can do the full "half split" and seated hamstring stretches for 30 seconds.  I think it's easier than a split on the floor. Stand next to the ballet barre with your right hip touching the barre.  Lift the right foot and put it behind you on the barre, knee facing down.  Now lower your torso so that you get your chest flat to the left (front) thigh, then start pushing yourself back so the right (back) foot slides back on the barre (this will keep your hips square so you don't pull anything).  While pushing back into the split, keep your weight on the heel of the front foot, lifting your toes, not pointing them.  This gives you a good calf stretch and relaxes the front leg for a split.  Now gradually raise the torso, pushing your pelvis down towards the floor as you keep sliding back into a split.  Don't push it if it hurts.  Now do the other direction and do it with the right foot on the floor and the left foot behind you on the barre. This is a good test of how well the other stretches worked.

8.  Floor split - The final frontier!  Once you can do the split on the ballet barre, try it on the floor.  Take your time going all the way down, keeping your back knee facing straight down, NOT turned out like a spiral position.  As you go down, stretch the hamstring and hip flexor wherever you feel tightness and resistance.  I found it easiest to get into the split on the floor when I folded my torso over my front thigh like in the seated hamstring stretch (Like this: http://www.drillsandskills.com/images/stretches/sp002.jpg

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 10:05:48 PM »
Wow thanks for sharing doubletoe! Will be sure to give it a try :)

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »
Thank you, Doubletoe! That's a great resource. I am going to give it my best!