You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Freestyle for club members only. Period.  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Freestyle for club members only. Period.
« on: May 25, 2016, 05:52:25 PM »
First time I've run into this issue.  I travel A LOT and try to skate at as many rinks as possible, and hopping on a freestyle (not club ice, regular freestyle) has never been an issue. However, a rink I'm scouting for the upcoming holiday weekend misadventures indicates that freestyle is for club members only.  Is this common? Have I just been lucky? I'm pretty good at checking rules and schedules and all that, but have never seen this.

I'm also checking this rink out as a potential new home rink if I end up moving, so I may have to do some sweet talking or schedule a lesson to really see the culture. At least the club dues are cheaper than the ones I'm paying now.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: Freestyle for club members only. Period.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:19:14 PM »
I've seen it where you must be a registered USFS member to get on a freestyle, but not a specific club (unless it's club ice, of course).  That's new to me.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:36:48 PM »
I know one rink near me has specific club ice (members only, and I think you may sign up for a slot for the season or something), but they also have freestyle sessions that are open to anyone.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:00:57 PM »
Some clubs, in order to get ice for their members, buy ice from the rink and run the freestyles. Usually they have a drop in policy, but not necessarily since they run the ice.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:11:20 PM »
Back in the day, our USFSA club had to rent the ice time from the rink and pay in advance, so members had to sign a contract and pay monthly for their ice bill.  Some skaters from other clubs wanted to skate on our freestyles, which made the freestyles more crowded and the ice fees less reliable.  (Bad weather meant the visitors didn't show up.) 

It was getting difficult to cover the ice bill, so the Board changed the freestyle rules such that you had to be a member (full or associate) in order to skate the freestyle.  Guests were allowed to skate up to 3 times during the season.  If they wanted to skate more than that, they had to join as a full/associate member and sign an ice contract.

Contact the Club and ask about their guest skater policy.  Explain that you're visiting from out of town.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 02:02:18 AM »
OK, I'm not US but everyone at my rink has to be signed up to the rink freestyle program to get on the ice. Annual membership fee. It's almost a club, except it's not. What they don't advertise anywhere, is that there is a guest fee to skate. It's more expensive than the normal rates but there is a guest fee for those visiting.
It may be worth contacting the club direct to see if there is a guest fee if you're really wanting to skate over the weekend.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:58:55 PM »
The ice Den in Coral Springs, Florida lists on their website that full club members pay $14 session, Associate pays $17, and non-members pay $19.  Unlimited weekly passes are $195 for full club members, but no mention of Associate or non-members. 

Freestyles at my rink are run by the rink, and the rink doesn't discriminate.  It's $12 for a walk on and works out to be $10/ punch card.  And, unlimited monthly is $400ish.   Best of all, alot of our morning sessions have a handful of skaters, about 5.   So, shhhhh (come to Estero, Florida if you want great open ice, reasonable rates, and warm sunshine).  Plus, we have a friendly, fun group of coaches.

It would be nice if the rink had an uncharge for non-club members (or just non ISI or non USFSA club members).  The reason is we would have a larger club.  We have some skaters that just don't want to join the club because they see no benefit.  They are not on a serious track, just doing it for recreation or beginning with the Learn to Skate.   We have a number of them and they crowd the afternoon sessions especially.   My husband plays recreational hockey.   The rinks will not allow them in a hockey game or hockey practice without showing his USHA membership.   There is some insurance thing tied to it.   Perhaps if USFSA/ISI had some insurance, then the rinks would require membership to get on anything that wasn't public ice.

We have a few skaters who have gone over to the Ice Den because of the coaches &/or wanting to do pairs.   They became full members over there and have stayed associate members at our club.   They haven't forgotten where they came from.   But, I still consider them 'ours.'   It's bittersweet to see their names in the news with the Panther's Ice Den as their representing club.  But, I'm so proud to see them develop & grow into champions!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
ISI has insurance.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:23:40 PM »
I have seen club-owned rinks limit freestyles to members only.

They would have a few "general" or "Public" sessions during the week where anyone could skate regardless of club membership, etc.

So yeah, it is not unheard of.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:43:14 PM »
This one is interesting because it's part of a community rec center facility. Sure, I expect to pay the "non-resident" rate, but didn't expect the exclusion from freestyle. For now I'll just pop on the public and see what's what.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »
I monitor the club ice and all are welcomed at that club.  You can guest twice before you have to join, even as an associate member.  I'm not familiar with the whole "ice for club members only" situation... and I'm in NYC.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline alan

• I'd Rather Be Skating
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 01:03:53 AM »
Neverdull44, which rink in South Florida are you referring to?