You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Are the SAFSA and ISU rules for skating similar to USFSA rules?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Isk8NYC recently posted a link to the South African rulebook. I notice both it and the ISU rulebook have somewhat easier to understand rules, standards, and descriptions of how skating moves are performed, in some cases, than the USFSA rulebook does. (I think they also have a lot fewer rules which don't pertain to the skating per se - or maybe they are just better organized.)

I know that USFSA Basic Skills descriptions are quite different. But to what extant are the rules and standards the same above that level? Could one get by with the descriptions in SAFSA and ISU for USFSA purposes?

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
Re: Are the SAFSA and ISU rules for skating similar to USFSA rules?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
It depends on what you're talking about. A toe loop is a toe loop, no matter where you are. So if their description is clearer to you, then you can certainly use it. Pattern dances are the same starting at the pre-silver level, internationally. Moves in the field patterns vary (or whatever that country calls that set of skills). Competition rules / qualifications probably vary. Test rules would vary.

Consider what is constant, and what could be variable; it will be pretty common sense.