You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: USFSA Governing Council 2013  (Read 13032 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
USFSA Governing Council 2013
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
Has anyone had a chance to review the Governing Council Book for the meeting taking place this weekend?

Lots of interesting proposals.

These were already approved:

https://www.usfsaonline.org/Members/viewPDF.asp?id=147
(Members only link - sign in to gain access.)

Lower the Introductory Member cost from $75 per member to $25 for the first family member and $20 for the second. One copy of Skating magazine per address.  Very ISI-like, IMO.

Skating clubs have to declare a "home rink" and other clubs have to get their permission to conduct activities at that rink.  Clubs can still list secondary rinks. 

There is some proposed change to the coaching requirements, but I think it's just to clarify the existing process/rules.  There is a late fee for dawdlers though, that might be new. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Adult Skating wbp requirements have been changed.  There were some revisions to the original proposal.

Adult Silver now includes a maximum of two jump combs and two spins.

They also upped the crossovers from std fs tests passed to adult track.  Where pre-bronze was the crossover from pre-prelim, its now bronze.  Prelim=Silver, pre-Juv=Gold.  There's a note that Juv FS satisfies all Adult track MIF testing, and the Gold test is optional.  Very interesting.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
Re: USFSA Governing Council 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:34:35 PM »
For intermediate, juvenile and all adult free dance events, the music may be vocal and must have an audible rhythmic beat and melody, or audible rhythmic beat alone, but not melody alone. The music may, however, be without an audible rhythmic beat for the beginning 10 seconds of the program. (Balance of rule remains unchanged.)

Adult synchro events need to have seven elements instead of nine.  The block or circle step sequence are combined as one element.  They took out the MIF or Spin elements.  (That was my fave, too bad.)

Additionally, the Moves in Isolation has been made part of the "creative elements" that includes those skills.  I don't quite get that, but its been approved.

Te ethics committee added bullying and hazing to the list of harassing behaviors that will not be tolerated.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
The Competitions Committee mentioned a term I hadn't heard before: the "Paper Coach."

The Return of the “Paper Coach”
After much debate last term, the Coaches Committee sent out another survey regarding registered coaches who do not have any personal skating experience or history, which we have termed ‘paper coaches’. Coaches registration, including CERs, has become the primary pre-requisite for competitive coaching but does not include any record of skating experience.

Just to summarize, there currently is no experience-based pre-requisite for coaches registration. A coach must simply pass the CERs and complete the coaches registration process to become certified. As long as the paperwork is in order, they can take on clients, receive payment, and put on skaters at competitions and test sessions as a ‘paper coach’.

The survey asks whether U.S. Figure Skating and PSA should establish an experience-based pre-requisite for coaching. Using the PSA Ratings system proved to be too narrow and contentious based on last year’s results.

This year’s survey will break down the definition between a Skating Professional Aid (no skating history) vs. a Skating Instructor (having passed a skating proficiency level of some type). The survey gives an open ended level of proficiency in the free skate tests so that the survey user can determine the test level to qualify as a Skating Instructor (or an equivalency if from a foreign federation).

The overwhelming response, approximately 80%, are in favor of an experience-based pre-requisite for coaching. A separate task force has been assembled to provide a recommendation and future proposal to the Governing Council.

That's going to be interesting - keep an eye out for the survey!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »

Is the second comb in addition to the existing requirements?  There are 3 single jumps, 1 combo and 1 sequence on the current requirements.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
The GC document says:
ADULT SILVER WELL-BALANCED FREE SKATE 2:10 maximum time

Must contain the following elements in any order

JUMPS Maximum of five jump elements • May include an Axel jump • Jumps may be repeated only once and only in combination and/or sequence • There must be at least one, but no more than three two, jump combinations or jump sequences • One jump combination/sequence may consist of three jumps, and the other twomay have only two jumps. • Additional jump sequences which contain non-listed jumps of not more than one revolution (i.e. mazurkas, half-loops, etc.) performed as part of connecting footwork preceding single jumps are permitted • Only single jumps and Axels are allowed • No double or triple jumps are permitted

SPINS Maximum of three two spins of a different character  spins • A spin with a change of foot must have a minimum of three revolutions on each foot. All other spins without a change of foot must have a minimum of three revolutions. • There must be a minimum of two revolutions in each position, or the position will not be counted. • The skaters have freedom to select the kinds of spins they intend to execute within the spin types allowed.

STEP OR SPIRAL SEQUENCE REMARKS Maximum of one element chosen from: • One step sequence utilizing at least one-half of the ice surface OR • One spiral sequence (any pattern) utilizing at least one-half of the ice surface Notes: • Jumps may be included in the step sequence • Additional moves in the field, spiral sequences and step sequences are permitted but will not be counted as elements; instead they will be counted as transitions and marked as such • Unless otherwise stated, all elements must meet the general criteria and basic requirements in order to be counted (see rule section 4100)

Note that these are the well-balance rules for competition programs.  I didn't see anything about changes to the tests yet.  The GC meetings are not yet over.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »

They also upped the crossovers from std fs tests passed to adult track.  Where pre-bronze was the crossover from pre-prelim, its now bronze.  Prelim=Silver, pre-Juv=Gold.  There's a note that Juv FS satisfies all Adult track MIF testing, and the Gold test is optional.  Very interesting.

Which crossovers?  The ones that I did around the center circle? One loop forward, one backwards?  I have to do those again?
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
Which crossovers?  The ones that I did around the center circle? One loop forward, one backwards?  I have to do those again?

No, lol.  It's just an expression-skaters can "cross over" from standard track to adult track testing without having to start at the first Adult test.  It has nothing to do with the skating elements called crossovers.  Sorry to alarm you!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  I thought it was a change in the test requirement.
I am actually happy to see the number of both spins and jumps reduced- I think it allows for a greater quality skate overall.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

The Adult Skating wbp requirements have been changed.  There were some revisions to the original proposal.

Well crap. There goes my June test. I'm Silver and was going to take pre-juv. But now if I do, looks like I'd have to move up. :nvm:

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 06:33:35 PM »
Well crap. There goes my June test. I'm Silver and was going to take pre-juv. But now if I do, looks like I'd have to move up. :nvm:
But these changes won't take effect until September, right?

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »
No, lol.  It's just an expression-skaters can "cross over" from standard track to adult track testing without having to start at the first Adult test.  It has nothing to do with the skating elements called crossovers.  Sorry to alarm you!
Oh, thank goodness.  I really didn't want to have to repeat something I'd already tested.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »
I'd like to know how the change in cross-over would affect old timers who took prelims before there were "pre" levels and before MIF. If going just by having passed preliminary FS regarless of when (which is how it is now), that would put me in adult silver, but do they mean passing prelim crosses over to having already passed adult silver, or just bronze working on silver?

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »
But these changes won't take effect until September, right?

No, according to the linked document they were passed by the adult committee April 8 and will be effective July 1.

Before the rule change, for example, if I was at Silver and passed juv FS I would have to skate gold whether I took the gold FS st or not. Now they have lowered what standard test equals what adult level, so the same scenario would be true for me if I took my pre-juv test at any time from now on. As soon July 1 hit, I would have to skate gold. At least that's my understanding, I could be wrong.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 09:02:55 PM »
No, according to the linked document they were passed by the adult committee April 8 and will be effective July 1.

Before the rule change, for example, if I was at Silver and passed juv FS I would have to skate gold whether I took the gold FS st or not. Now they have lowered what standard test equals what adult level, so the same scenario would be true for me if I took my pre-juv test at any time from now on. As soon July 1 hit, I would have to skate gold. At least that's my understanding, I could be wrong.

I would also like more info about this...I passed Pre-Juv as a teen, started competing again recently and also took and passed Adult Silver - I have been competing at Silver and am already signed up for summer competitions at Silver. Do I have to move up to Gold? I do not have a clean axel yet (working on it!), so I can't pass Juv FS/Gold. I was hoping to compete Silver at Adult Nationals next year and then move to Gold.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »
I would also like more info about this...I passed Pre-Juv as a teen, started competing again recently and also took and passed Adult Silver - I have been competing at Silver and am already signed up for summer competitions at Silver. Do I have to move up to Gold? I do not have a clean axel yet (working on it!), so I can't pass Juv FS/Gold. I was hoping to compete Silver at Adult Nationals next year and then move to Gold.

Ok, apparently I misread it. It was just explained to me. It doesn't affect FS level, just what moves you take next. So pre juv free still means you can skate Silver. It just means the next moves test you take is gold moves or juv moves. So confusing!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 10:20:08 PM »
do they mean passing prelim crosses over to having already passed adult silver, or just bronze working on silver?

It's the equivalent of passing bronze FS now... so that's where you'd be, bronze level working on silver.  You may choose to skate up and compete in silver without any more testing. 

I'm kind of annoyed at the WBP requirements.. I know in the past that test requirements didn't always line up with the WBP, but that means I have to get rid of my third spin now, and I only JUST put my program together.  I'll have to talk to my choreographer about it next week... it probably won't effect me getting that program ready to test at all, but it will be an issue if I did choose to get out there and compete that program.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 11:14:39 PM »
Ok, apparently I misread it. It was just explained to me. It doesn't affect FS level, just what moves you take next. So pre juv free still means you can skate Silver. It just means the next moves test you take is gold moves or juv moves. So confusing!
Oh, makes more sense! I am working on Junior moves so no worries about that! Thinking about taking Gold just to say I did :)

I'm kind of annoyed at the WBP requirements.. I know in the past that test requirements didn't always line up with the WBP, but that means I have to get rid of my third spin now, and I only JUST put my program together.  I'll have to talk to my choreographer about it next week... it probably won't effect me getting that program ready to test at all, but it will be an issue if I did choose to get out there and compete that program.

I am also annoyed at this...I skate fast enough to have three spins in a Silver program, no problem. When I took Silver FS test, I had three spins, two were combos. My competitive program currently has three jump combos and three spins....If I have to remove a spin AND a jump combo, I'm going to have so much extra time! I already have full ice spirals and 3/4 ice footwork. However, it does make it line up more with standard track - I think first level for three spins is Intermediate or Novice?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 11:33:44 PM »
The "crossover" table in the document is for TESTING on the adult track after taking standard-track tests.

TR 26.02 The adult free skate tests are divided into four classes to be taken in the following order: pre-bronze, bronze, silver and gold.

B. An adult skater who has passed the standard free skate test may cross over to the adult track as follows:

Standard FS passedMust then pass eitherTo take this adult test
Pre-preliminary FSPreliminary MIF or adult pre-bronze MIFAdult pre-bronze FS
Preliminary FSPre-juvenile MIF or adult bronze silver MIFAdult bronze silver FS
Pre-juvenile FSJuvenile MIF or adult sliver gold MIFAdult sliver gold FS
Juvenile FSIntermediate MIF or adult gold MIFAdult gold FS optional but not required
No additional MIF required

Implementation date: July 1, 2013

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 12:23:05 AM »
The chart doesn't make sense.   What are "adult bronze silver" and "adult silver gold"?

I'm kind of annoyed at the WBP requirements.. I know in the past that test requirements didn't always line up with the WBP, but that means I have to get rid of my third spin now, and I only JUST put my program together. 

Just FYI, for the new ISI "Open FS" in competitions, there are NO restrictions on the number of extra elements a skater puts in a program. So people can do all the extra spins and jumps that will fit in a program.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »
Did the well-balanced program changes only affect silver FS?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 10:18:53 AM »
The chart doesn't make sense.   What are "adult bronze silver" and "adult silver gold"?

Added strikeouts and underlines per the original document.  That should make it easier for you to understand.
The misspelling of "Silver" is theirs, not mine.

The original document is here:
https://www.usfsaonline.org/Members/viewPDF.asp?id=147
If you're interested in the changes, check it out. 

On Facebook this morning, this was posted:

Quote from: U.S. Adult Skating Committee

Great news from Governing Council! All Requests for Action put forth by the Adult Skating Committee have passed. This includes Item #302 (Silver Well Balanced Program) and #303 (Crossover Wording) from the meeting book and also a New Business Item #502 which rectifies the number of sequences in the initial or final round of all adult dance events.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
Glad they got 502 in so we don't have another year of confusion on the number of patterns, especially for solo dance.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »
What does it entail?

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 12:50:55 AM »
Geez, I'm still confused by that chart. If it is only the MIF that went up a level, not the FS, it should be that an adult skater who has passed preliminary FS, would have the next tests to take be silver MIF,  but then only bronze FS just as it already is.

So the levels are off. People now have to take MIF a level in advance rather than the same level as the FS level. Too confusing. They need to re-designate names for the MIF or something.