You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ideas for skate bags  (Read 3907 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Ideas for skate bags
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:04:52 PM »
So I was in Wally World this afternoon and I came across a selection of softsided rolling ice coolers
There was quite a selection, but most resembled this>

What do you think of that as a skate bag? Most of the ones I saw had lots of netting on the outside where you could put socks and pad, and stuff to dry out, and the lids contained a section for storing food.

Inside, they were ideal in size for storing boots and jackets. Of course you'd have to leave it open or take the stuff out so they could dry out, but the coolers were soooo light and could hold everything a zuca could.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Ideas for skate bags
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:25:45 PM »
I wonder how sturdy is it. Also depends on the weight your skate bag carries in general?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:06:59 AM »
Considering how poorly those kinds of things hold up to occasional use, I'm not sure they'd fare well with regular use at all.  I know a couple of people who use rolling sewing machine/craft bags for their skates and they start to look pretty rough after a couple of months but functionally they seem to hold up alright.

One reason the zucas (and they latest fad - Heys) are so popular is that they are nearly indestructible - there is someone at my rink who's mom backed over their zuca with the car... it's a little squished but they still use it.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 04:37:35 AM »
If it's big enough and sturdy, it sounds like a good idea.  It will help protect the skates if you have to leave them in the car during the day at work.  You could probably put a liner inside the main compartment to prevent the blades from cutting open the vinyl.  You could also put in some open grommets for air circulation, but opening it up is probably better.  (A silica gel pouch would be a good idea, too, to absorb moisture inside the bag.)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »
One reason the zucas (and they latest fad - Heys) are so popular is that they are nearly indestructible - there is someone at my rink who's mom backed over their zuca with the car... it's a little squished but they still use it.
How'd the car hold up? I would be a little concerned for my wheels if I did that.

I used my old Jansport backpack to transport everything until I got a Transpack. It was definitely hard to get everything to fit, but the backpack held up well, and all the compartments made it easy to organize things. A rolling backpack for a younger skater with smaller skates could work.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:21:37 AM »
I would be worried about moisture control because of the intended use of the bag. However, there would be ways around that as mentioned above. Not sure what that type of lining and enclosure would do to the skates if used long term without proper precautions. But the bonus of keeping snacks or meals chills is a plus for kids.

I usually carry a duffel but since I hurt my shoulder I have to admit I've been looking at those Heys bags. Super light, indestructible, and can be used as a carry on. These coolers look light enough, but sturdiness and multi-purpose might be overcome if they are cheap enough.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »
I don't like the idea of things piled on top of my skates, and from the looks of that bag, that's what would happen.

Offline ~Twinkies~

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »
I bought my daughter a rolling suitcase - carry-on size - at a discount store as her "starter bag."  I figured if it lasted a year I'd be happy.  It's almost 2 years later and the thing looks like the day we rolled it out of the store.  When we leave the rink, I put it flat in the back of my small SUV, flip open the top and stand the skates up to air out.  It's got pockets inside and outside to hold all her various skating needs.  It's working like a charm and I'm glad I didn't spring for the Zuca she was eyeballing at the pro shop!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
I recently decided there was no such thing as 'the perfect bag', so now I carry two.

One is for my skates, and skate related stuff (towels, blade guards, soakers, socks etc).

The second one has four net pockets on the outside so I put all my pads, gloves, wrist guards in the pockets so they dry out faster, and my jacket/ change of clothes in the bag portion. The weight is divided between the two bags so I don't feel like I'm pulled over to one side.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:26 AM »
I use an eBags ski boot bag.  They don't seem to make it anymore but you can find them on eBay.  It fits the boots perfectly on the side with a TON of room in the middle for all my goodies.  Like this:

I like that I can sling it on my back and skate to the other side of the ice where I stash it.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
I bought my daughter a rolling suitcase - carry-on size - at a discount store as her "starter bag."  I figured if it lasted a year I'd be happy.  It's almost 2 years later and the thing looks like the day we rolled it out of the store.  When we leave the rink, I put it flat in the back of my small SUV, flip open the top and stand the skates up to air out.  It's got pockets inside and outside to hold all her various skating needs.  It's working like a charm and I'm glad I didn't spring for the Zuca she was eyeballing at the pro shop!

That's what I use, too, and very happy with it.