You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Stuff You don't see anymore  (Read 11895 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Stuff You don't see anymore
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »
Why are walleys not an official jump? Because it's too hard to do multi-revolutions?

Yes.  But primarily, if it is not a listed jump then you can do one without it counting towards the Zayak rule limit, so the rule actually encourages people to do the jump.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Total GOE: 221
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »
Tuck axel.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »
Why are walleys not an official jump? Because it's too hard to do multi-revolutions?

Pretty much.  Toe walleys are counted/scored the same as toe loops though (as far as the rules go they are considered the same jump).

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »
Thanks nicklaszlo and sarahspins! And what a coincidence! I just watched a documentary on Youtube yesterday that mentioned Elaine Zayak, so I just learned what the Zayak rule was!
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »
I was ice monitor for regionals and saw several juvenile skaters doing walleys. 
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
Tuck axel.

Is that the one where you do an axel and raise the legs up to your body? I think I've seen a picture of that at an outdoor rink (LP oly?) with the photographer down low, and the skater above the horizon and framed against the clouds. V. Dramatic.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »
Reporting that a skater (Alexander Majorov)) just did a hydroblade in his choreographic step sequence at skate america.  Hopefully those will bring back a lot of the fun moves.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »
Reporting that a skater (Alexander Majorov)) just did a hydroblade in his choreographic step sequence at skate america.  Hopefully those will bring back a lot of the fun moves.

Super low and parallel to the ice!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »
And men are doing split jumps left and right, and they all look awful so far, so I wish they wouldn't!

And speaking of cantilevers, I noticed this was Ross Miner's twitter picture:

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 03:35:26 AM »
I've noticed with the rule changes that a lot of kids are working on spreads into axels and then landing and turning straight into a spread. Similarly there's a lot of inas into axels.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
Yes.  But primarily, if it is not a listed jump then you can do one without it counting towards the Zayak rule limit, so the rule actually encourages people to do the jump.
  Yes and no on the "encouraging" part.  Because of all the IJS requirements that DO count toward your jump limit (not the Zayak rule - that's the "no more than 2 of any particular triple, but the no more than 7 jump passes rule) and the difficulty (energy usage) of spins and step sequences and the requirement to be "busy" throughout the program to pick up a bigger transition score, unless Walleys are an 'easy' element for you, it's not going to get included in the program because something will have to give somewhere in order to gain some consistency on everything else.  Also, if you have the slightest propensity for flipping the edge back over to the outside on the entry, you are going to inadvertently use up a jump box on a single loop.

Some people are using it as part of the required steps into jumps and I have seen it in some choreographic sequences this year (one had walleys and inside Axels into the requisite spiral in ladies)

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »
This might just be at my rink, but alot of the skaters here are doing sit spins and backsits with their legs bent in and sort of wrapped? Like the begining free-leg position of a scratch spin, but in a sit spin? My coach always told me to keep my leg straight, and that it's more "technically correct" for it to be straight, not wrapped. But the bent leg in the sit spin seems to withstand good in competiton.
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
This might just be at my rink, but alot of the skaters here are doing sit spins and backsits with their legs bent in and sort of wrapped? Like the begining free-leg position of a scratch spin, but in a sit spin? My coach always told me to keep my leg straight, and that it's more "technically correct" for it to be straight, not wrapped. But the bent leg in the sit spin seems to withstand good in competiton.

Sounds like a variation.  There is the bent leg "out to the side" - a broken leg spin; there's the free leg wrapped behind and "under" the spinning leg - we call it a squeegee spin, but, there are other names for it ... the pancake, where the free leg lies across the spinning leg and the skater's upper body is bent down on the leg ... there are a ton of different variations on the sit spin.  The crucial point is whether the sit position is obtained, which requires that the thigh of the spinning leg be parallel or below parallel to the ice ...

Skaters use the variations to bump points for levels, and also because, well, they look cool and are often more difficult than a basic sit.  However, that said, a skater should be able to do a solid basic sit spin.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:02 PM »

The wrap isn't the perfect tech position, but it generates speed and centering, so those benefits offset the weak position.  It's really difficult for long-legged skaters to stretch out the free leg straight, but it is possible and it looks so cool when they do it well.

There are three sit-spin leg positions under IJS this year: free leg forward, leg to the side and leg behind.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
And men are doing split jumps left and right, and they all look awful so far, so I wish they wouldn't!

Keegan Messing can do one all day long as far as I am concerned.  His is WONDERFUL :love:

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »
so  can rory flack burghart, one of his coaches, its so big ;D

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 05:25:09 AM »

Really? Jason's is gorgeous and Joshua Farris' used to be, it's getting a little less split-y now.

Actually I've noticed a lot of the old-style moves mentioned, especially in Jason Brown's skating - he has a very gorgeous hydroblade, his Russian split is an oversplit, a nice split jump and a gorgeous spread eagle. Artur Gachinski seems to have adopted the headless spin, as well as the spreadeagle-into-3A, and Ilia Kulik regularly does cantilevers in shows.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »
I was referring specifically to the men at Skate America, as a follow up to the post that a man there did a hydroblade.  None of the split jumps were good, one was mildly decent, and many were downright poor.

Sorry to confuse.  I didn't mean that no men had a good split jump.  I hope those guys use them too.  It will be a nice change. 

Offline Doubletoe

• Total GOE: 139
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
There are so many things!!

Walleys
Spread Eagles? Can't remember many used as highlights these days but maybe the likes of Patrick Chan and Jeff Buttle

Russian Split Jumps?

With the advent of the Choreo Sequence this season, I'm seeing LOTS of spread eagles and Russian split jumps!  I also see quite a few walleys as transitional moves and difficult entries to other jumps.  I think the reason the walley is not a listed jump is because it's so difficult to do more than a single walley, even for the best skaters.