You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Mental games?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Mental games?
« on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
Dd did a fantastic 2s yesterday - it was beautiful and huge.  Other coaches were called over to observe but when she did it a 2nd and third time there were odd mistakes.  After she got off the ice and we were driving home I told her i saw the beautiful 2s and she she said the others weren't good. 

She said the first one she didn't think about it, but then on the second she tried really hard to do it exactly like the 1st and the thrid she tried even harder.   :laugh: 

I was wondering how you all manage the mental side of doing jumps for an audience. :WS:

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Mental games?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
Practice under those same conditions.

My coach is now having me start every session with a 5 minute warm up, and then straight to program.  It terrifies me, and I get used to trying to do elements with the added stress (meaning my legs shake).  I have one chance to get everything right.  I can't amble through each element until I do the good one.

I have to practice with a "this one is the one that counts", not a "I'm going to do salchows for awhile" attitude. 

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
Re: Mental games?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:00:31 PM »
For me, I first need to get to the point where I know exactly what makes my jump work or not work, from a technical standpoint.  This can sometimes take quite awhile, since it involves trial and error (and a very observant coach), but it gives me very specific technical things to focus on as I execute the jump in practice and in competition.  If I am feeling hesitant, I pretty much have to scream my technique cue words at myself inside my head to drown out the self-doubt and distraction.  Having said that, the 2Sal is my most mental jump, too.  The timing and the pressure on the blade have to be just so. . .