You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Remembering why you skate  (Read 1156 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Remembering why you skate
« on: December 31, 2011, 06:58:13 AM »
I find that I spend most of my time working on the next new elements which need to be perfected for the next test / competition, that sometimes skating because a slog of hardwork. Every now and then though, I try and stop and just have fun.
I did that today and I got the coach to give me a lesson doing what I wanted to learn (within reason). Everything was a stretch for me to try but we had an absolute laugh. Especially as my coach started to have fun trying to spin in the opposite direction. I don't think she'd done it since she was a kid.
But it reminded me why I skate and given me some renewed enthusiasm for the new year.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: Remembering why you skate
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
Skating should be joyful. This isn't to say that there should be no practice and no repitition or focus (heck, I could still do figures for hours!) but ultimately, if you don't leave time for the pure joy of it, there's no point.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:21:35 AM »
Hard work IS fun! :D
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline rinkrat

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 69
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »
Sometimes if I'm stuck on something I stand there and think "what's the point, I'm 16, been skating for half a year, I am never going to the Olympics." The I just glide. If I glide, I remember why I feel in love with it 6 short months ago. I'm free on the ice. I can do things that just aren't physically possible on land. I feel graceful, beautiful, strong. Nothing can bring me down when I'm on the ice. That's why I do it 6 days a week. Not because I'm training to be elite, but because it is what makes me so happy.

Then there are the little victories: getting an extra revolution on a spin, going a little bit higher on a waltz jump, etc.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
There were moments when I did figures that I could hit the edge perfectly, my body would line up and I was one with the universe.

That doesn't happen with dance unfortunately.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/