You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Phillip Hersh Retires  (Read 1737 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Phillip Hersh Retires
« on: November 26, 2015, 06:34:47 PM »
Phillip Hersh the only knowledgeable reporter in the US about competitive figure skater has retired from the Chicago Tribune.

I'm sorry to see him go. I've heard his questions to skaters and he was a fan of the sport, and a darn good writer.

There's no one left in the US who follows the Olympics as a sports writer, or writes about figure skating seriously. I'll miss him.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline trixietoes

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Phillip Hersh Retires
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
This is a loss but we will still hear from him. Now that he does not have to cover the major sports maybe he can devote more time to Olympic sports. I will miss him like I miss Frank DeFord at SI and E.M.Swift at SI.  Long before internet I used to wait breathlessly for SI coverage.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Phillip Hersh Retires
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »
I'm afraid what you're seeing is endemic in most print publications. Because of competition from the internet, ad money is shrinking, and good replacements for talented reporters and photographers won't happen like in the past.

Instant news is nice, but I miss the in-depth and thoughtful reporting that used to be common.
Bill Schneider