You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adventures as a rink guard  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Adventures as a rink guard
« on: October 05, 2014, 03:14:39 PM »
OK, not really an adventure but -

I could spend all my time telling people that they need to tie their laces tighter, or need smaller skates. I wish we had a great big sign by the rental counter that explained how important that is.

Virtually everyone who has trouble staying up fits those parameters, even among beginners.

I did some of that, for the worst cases. But it is pretty boring to do.

It's clear that from a business perspective, the rink is best off if we stay by the doors instead of skating, and make sure no one comes in who isn't wearing the wrist band that shows they paid.

So far no one has seriously hurt themselves.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Adventures as a rink guard
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:03:18 PM »
When I was a rink guard, I witnessed that often. Sometimes people would be grateful for me letting them know that they needed to tie their laces tighter, some blew me off like I didn't know what I was talking about. Sure... the one watching for your safety telling you your skates are too loose knows less than you do. Haha.

Another instance was a woman who was having trouble getting her friend up. I went over to help and they refused. I politely then said "Ok, well it will be easier for her to get up if she gets on her knees first" (she was trying to pull her up from SITTING on the ice) Girl loudly mumbles "Shut up, I know how to get my friend up off the ice, you idiot." Ok, that's why I've been watching you try to get her up for the last 5 minutes.... I took sick pleasure that it took her another 5 to get her friend up...

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
I used to try and be helpful to adults. Then one day there was a woman trying to skate with her laces dragging on the ice. I skated up to her saying "Please stop." and her friend skating next to her fell over.
Now, I just tell the rink guard.

Little kids lying on the ice, I'll offer a hand to. But that's it.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:39:14 AM »
"Tell the rink guard" is not an option if you are the rink guard.

I think using no words is seen as less annoying

Little kids lying on the ice for an extended time are usually there because they want to be there. Especially if they are good skaters. But they may get up if you skate to them and quietly look concerned.

If someone has trouble getting up, you can move within view, catch their eye and quietly demonstrate getting up.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
BTW, someone picked up a young skater (fairly beginner level, not pairs) and swung her around for a few seconds.

Picking up kids is against the rules, but it was a coach, and the kid was her student... Wasn't sure what to do. Sometimes laissez-faire is the way to go.