You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating pants for practice  (Read 1657 times)

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Skating pants for practice
« on: April 27, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »
Does anyone know of where to find some good, affordable pants for practice? $50 is a little much to be spending on pants I'm just going to get sweaty in. The cheap ones I've found are always so tight that it's like you're really not wearing pants at all.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Skating pants for practice
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:26:29 PM »
The cheap ones I've found are always so tight that it's like you're really not wearing pants at all.

"Real" skating pants aren't much different in this regard.  I've had good luck with leggings from both Old Navy (the ones from their yoga stuff) and Target (C9) and the super super cheap ($6) leggings from walmart.  I do wear black tights under my pants though, so there's little to no risk of anything ever being "see through" :)

Offline kr1981

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »
I've tried a few different styles of leggings from Target, and my absolute favorite, go-to ones for skating are the Mossimo high-waisted leggings http://www.target.com/p/high-waisted-legging-mossimo-supply-co/-/A-16512626. The high waistband keeps them from riding down (and as an added bonus, prevents any muffin tops, haha) and they're not see-through at all. I've tried a couple other styles of leggings from Target and they're comfortable for wearing around the house, but awful for skating (was having to pull them up every 30 seconds). Also, I don't wear tights under my leggings, and they're still not see-through. They're actually quite nice for 15 bucks (and you can often get them on sale).

I used to wear bootcut yoga pants, despite having read horror stories about people getting their blades caught in the flares of their pants. I was always in the "it won't happen to me, I'm not pulling in for double jumps or anything" camp--until it actually did happen on a waltz jump-loop attempt--and now it's leggings all the way, lol.

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »
I know that everyone differs in their "ewww" factor, but I've scored several good deals on eBay in regards to work-out clothes.  You might be able to find some affordable, gently used leggings on there.
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »
The Champion brand athletic gear at Target is heavy duty and not expensive.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:46:33 AM »
Personally, I don't buy "skating" pants ever. I find them way to expensive, specially when you can find very similar things like fleece-lined Yoga pants or leggings. Every time I am in the US, my mom and I go practice pant shopping at stores like Ross, TJMax and Marshalls. You sometimes have to look a bit harder , but their sport sections are a steal. I got Marika Yoga leggings (They are not really leggings, but actual sport pants with the shape of skinny jeans)  last time that have the prefect over the heel look for around 15 dollars. They even have a purple detailing at the bottom which makes them look very similar to the Mondor pants.  I've also found fleeced line leggings from RBK and avalanche polartec leggings. 
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 11:33:55 PM »
Thanks everyone! Target was a complete success.