You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fort Dupont DC KOI seeks volunteer instructors, offers free lessons to kids  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
I am not the point of contact, and I'm not posting this in any official capacity. "Leticia Moreno Enos" <lmoreno@fdia.org> is the figure skating director and contact.

Once again, Fort Dupont Ice Rink, in Washington, DC, is looking for Volunteer Instructors for its Kids On Ice Program.

[Note: you may have to pass a background check.]

KOI is a charity supported free LTS program (USFSA Basic Skills, Synchro, sometimes low level freestyle; hockey, speed skating) program, in an economically disadvantaged neighborhood, mostly taught by volunteer instructors. People donate time and resources (e.g., skates, dresses). Some who have donated their time are well known coaches and choreographers, but you don't have to be - I volunteer.

Teaching kids can be fun and is sometimes challenging. This is also a chance to interact with other adult skaters, though some volunteers are kids. Of course, those of us who aren't stellar figure skaters can only teach the first few levels.

Next session starts this Saturday - see http://www.fdia.org/sites/default/files/u2/SSS%202013%20flyer.pdf for student flier. (If you are a kid and a potential student, it might be too late to sign up for the next session. But paid lesson programs taught by fully certified instructors probably offer better quality lessons.)

You don't have to already be a certified and insured coach. But it is possible to use this program to register with PSA and take classes to become a fully qualified USFSA Basic Skills instructor, which are quite good. Becoming a fully certified and insured coach costs money, but you don't have to pay anything to be a volunteer in this program.

BTW, several other area rinks, like Mount Vernon (Virginia) and Cabin John (Maryland) have sometimes had volunteer-assisted classes at one time or another, and might still. But in those programs, you have to be a relatively high level skater to teach.

Extra Cool: You can choose to attend a USFSA Figure Skating Basic Skills Workshop on Sunday, August 11, 2013 from 9:00- 3:00."This is an official training workshop with Susi Wherli-McLaughlin and Erin Schopf of US Figure Skating and will include on-ice and off-ice sessions. This workshop will be open to all area coaches, but is taking place at our rink primarily so *our* volunteer instructors can receive training."

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Oops, I was wrong. The program did not begin today, and is not taught on Saturdays during the Summer in general. Next Monday begins a "Summer Camp" series of skating lessons, but it is not free to participants, and I don't know if volunteer instructors are involved.

Sorry, if anyone went.