You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISI Adult Championships- a complete newbie question  (Read 4021 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
ISI Adult Championships- a complete newbie question
« on: May 07, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
So the ISI Adult Championships in October are pretty much literally in my backyard... I've been planning to attend just to see what a competition is like and watch some good skating!  But in browsing the ISI site, I looked at the registration form and it looks like even lower level skaters are eligible to compete, in a variety of different events (solo, compulsories, etc.).  Since this competition moves around the country each year, it seems that this is an opportunity I should think about, since it would allow me to participate in a competition without making a huge travel commitment.  However... I have never done a competition, and don't even have a regular "official" coach, just the various LTS instructors at my rink.  (Loosely speaking, I've got ISI Alpha skills and am working on Beta, but have never been officially tested; that would have to change, of course.)

So my question is, am I crazy to even consider this?  I have no idea what really goes into preparing for a competition other than what I've picked up from reading here.  What would I have to do?  Or am I completely out of my depth here?  It seems it would be better to start with a smaller local competition first, but I don't know of any between now and then.  But am I nuts to think of my first competition being something this big?  (And am I really even interested in competing?  Not sure... one way to find out!)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: ISI Adult Championships- a complete newbie question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »
I don't think you are being crazy at all! I think it is totally worth a shot if you think you are interested. Of course that means getting a coach, and probably more ice time.

In terms of other local competitions, i found this isi link - http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?Content=Events_Endorsed_Competitions

I think usfsa has a similar listing for their basic skills competitions too? In any event, if all the details of the isi adult championships work out, it seems worth a shot! Plus I like the idea of meeting so many adult skaters!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »
I suggest taking a look at last year's results.  The number of entries in ISI events can vary greatly because they have so many events.

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 01:47:04 AM »
You should totally enter! I first went to ISI Adult Nationals when I was an Alpha and I had a blast. I competed in the technical program, compulsories, light entertainment, and a team of 4 of from my rink did an emsemble number. The one disadvantage is that not a lot adults in Pre-Alpha through Delta enter and you may not be skating against anyone. I'd be happy to give you more detailed information if you want to contact me.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »
I would say go for it!
This gives you a great opportunity to get to know how things work, and like you said it doesn't put a giant hole in your pocket.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »
Thanks everyone!  (Like I really thought a bunch of skaters would tell me not to do a competition...  ;D )  I looked over results from previous competitions and it does look like the number of skaters in each event can be pretty small for Alpha-Delta (and sometimes levels are merged), but I'm ok with that.  I think my next step will be to talk to the skating director at my rink about (a) getting officially tested and (b) a coach.  Then I'll have to think about what sort of time investment would be needed and whether I can afford it (the time more than the money).  Doesn't look like there are any local ISI events in the near future (thanks for that link, littlerain!), so this may be a really good opportunity.  My best friend is already teasing me about getting a skating dress.  (I'm about the least "dressy" person around so the idea of me in a fancy dress is pretty darn funny.) I'll worry about that once I really commit to this, though.  One thing at a time.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
Doesn't look like there are any local ISI events in the near future (thanks for that link, littlerain!),

That list is not comprehensive.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
Yay! I didn't think that link was comprehensive, but at least a place to start just in case... Skategeek, maybe you can check with the local rinks and clubs? I know the ones around here seem to have some sort of summer event, whether it is an exhibition or competition.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 08:14:40 PM »
Yay! I didn't think that link was comprehensive, but at least a place to start just in case... Skategeek, maybe you can check with the local rinks and clubs? I know the ones around here seem to have some sort of summer event, whether it is an exhibition or competition.

I'll definitely do that!  I'm not really in the loop at the rink, but I'm working on it... I know they have a small summer event but from what I've seen it's just the kids.  I'll find out more, though. 

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
My first, and thus far only, competition was the ISI Adult Championships last October. I skated at the alpha level. There were other skaters at my level so I did not skate against the book. But I could not imagine doing any of it without my coach.  Find a coach and if you can swing it you should do it.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
I have a reasonable amount of experience with about 5 of the coaches at my rink through the LTS classes, and I think I'd be fine working with any of them (some might be a better fit than others, though).  So I'll think about it and find out who's available.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »
The coach at tonight's class thinks I should go for it.   :)  She said that at this level I might really only need a couple of private sessions with a coach to put a program together, and then I can mostly work on it on my own.  She suggested I start picking music.   :o

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
Oh oh music! I wouldn't even know how to begin lol