You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone Skating with Type 1 Diabetes?  (Read 3580 times)

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 11
  • Ice is Nice
    • Allocca Biotechnology, LLC
Anyone Skating with Type 1 Diabetes?
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »
Are there any skaters in this forum with type 1 diabetes?

John :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Anyone Skating with Type 1 Diabetes?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
There are at least two of us.. though I haven't seen the other one (JHarer) post much lately, but I think she's lurking :)

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »
Me!

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »
JHarer and Sarahspins,

Previously, I couldn't exercise strenuously until 2 hours after taking insulin/food? 

Now, I'm using the Omnipod. I'm returning to skating after a 14 year absence due to knee injuries. I should get my custom skates next week.

Do you have a pump? If yes, how do you set it?

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
It took me a while to figure out what works for me. I use a pump and continuous glucose monitor. I always test before I get on the ice, if my BG is over 200 mg/dl, I give a correction bolus, because otherwise my bg rises and I get ketones. If I am over 250 mg/dl I won't skate at all.
If my bg is "normal range" I take into account how recently I've eaten, if I still have active insulin in my system and if there are any other factors that may be affecting my numbers that day (i.e. illness, stress, etc...)
If my numbers are <120 mg/dl and I've got no active insulin, I'll set a my basal at 50% for the time I am skating and 1/2 hour afterwards. If I have active insulin I take a 15g complex carb snack plus protein (usually PB crackers) and set my basal at 50%.
Since I wear the glucose sensor it is easy for me to keep an eye on what my number are doing while skating and make corrections as necessary. Good luck figuring what works for you, don't feel frustrated if it takes some time to figure out.
Also make sure you carry extra supplies to the rink just in case and make sure that you have a medic alert on you while you skate (I have a lace tag on my skate that has my medic alert info on it, plus my bracelet).

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 03:44:13 PM »
Thanks Jhara for the info. I was thinking of making my background 50%. I will usually be skating 2.5 hours after breakfast. But, if I compete, it will be different.

I usually keep my bg between 70-95. I developed methods to do so like weighing my food, etc. A good resource for diabetics is my website: www.StarshipDiabetes.com For kids, I try it make it a little fun and adventurous.

I alway wear a medalert bracelet. But, one on the skate is a great idea.

I always carry supplies with me and sugar packets in my pocket.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »
I wear a pump, and I pretty much do what JHarer does - I used to wear a dexcom but I can't afford to buy sensors on a regular schedule (I have a high insurance deductible, so all of my pump supplies are also out of pocket) so I haven't used it in a while, and I would get unreliable readings while skating (the dreaded ??? that was often caused by nothing more than sweat under the sensor tape, which often happened while I was active doing other things as well).  I have only had two mild lows "on" the ice in the past 4 years, and neither was difficult to manage because I am always overly prepared... I keep supplies in my locker at work, which I have used only those two times.  I don't think keeping anything "on" you besides ID is necessary... have it easily available, like in your bag, and that should be fine.

The key is mostly to test often so you kind of get a feel for what to expect on the ice, and be prepared for anything.  Figuring out what combo of pre-ice snack and basal reduction works best for you can take a while to work out.  I even have different snacks depending on what I am on the ice to do - if it's just to teach, I normally skip my normal snack and don't reduce my basal as much since I'm just not as active (I'd compare the activity level of teaching a group class as similar to just standing around off-ice, honestly - because there is a lot of standing around watching students), but if I am training, or if I have a lesson, that is a much different scenario, and my body absolutely needs more fuel, and a much lower basal or I will run dramatically lower after I skate (not on the ice - it's usually 60-90 minutes later)  I sometimes run basal rates much higher or lower than normal depending on what else is going on, but I also have worn a pump for 12 years so I'm quite comfortable adjusting things on the fly and I know how my body reacts to a lot of things.

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »
One more problem. I'm still debating whether to get traditional or revolution blades. I only saw one review and the person said she had better jumps, but had to press harder to maintain edges with the revolution blades. I cannot find anyone who has them.

My custom boots arrive next week and I have to make a decision on the blade by then.

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »
I finally got my custom skates. But, the arches are too high. I sent them back to Riedell to lower the arches. So, it will be another 2.5 weeks before I touch ice.

John

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
I need to ask you guys some advice.

Yeah! I went out skating today for the first time in 14 years.

Upon awakening my bg was 95. I skated 3 hours after breakfast. My insulin duration is 3 hours. I lowered my background 50% for 2 hours. At noon my bg was 106.

I was weak and didn't skate as much as I expected because I still have the flu somewhat. But, I'm wondering if my weakness was from the flu or from not having a snack?

Do you guys have a snack before skating?

John

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
It's probably just from the flu.  Lack of a necessary snack would have resulted in feeling fine to start with, and then suddenly feeling like you hit a wall where you just had no more energy, or in the more obvious scenario of having a low.  If what you felt was more of a generalized "I don't feel 100% today" kind of thing, then I'd blame it on having been sick.