You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What do you say to a skating star without looking all awe struck?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Tonight is Stars on Ice in my area.  I am taking my 13 year old daughter, who danced all of her life, and is now trying figure skating.  We are going back stage to the meet and great before the show.  I usually just treat the skating stars I've met (on the ice) like any other person.   But, this is different because we are there to actually meet them.  I can see my 13 year old getting all giddy.  I have to admit that I am also giddy too!

I want to ask Gracie Gold about her skates, and why she wears that brand.  I don't know a thing about it, but they look cool.  I wonder if they are lighter than my Harlicks.

(Another thread, but I am so proud of my daughter.  In three months, she has gorgeous spiral, three turns, brackets (yes, brackets) mohawks, waltz, toe loop, and a few turns on a one foot spin!)   

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 11
  • Ice is Nice
    • Allocca Biotechnology, LLC
Re: What do you say to a skating star without looking all awe struck?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
Sounds exciting. Let us know what you find out.

John :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
I have been to those meet and greets - sometimes they are weird and sometimes they are great.  Sometimes the "Stars" spend more time talking to the kids than to the adults that accompany them!

I will be interested to know how it turns out.

I like what Charlie White said on DWTS - that people keep coming up to him and saying "Oh I'm sorry to bother you, but congratulations" - and he said he didn't feel bothered AT ALL - he was just happy and happy to talk with them!

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
I've been to a couple of post show receptions with the Stars on Ice. Like icedancer noted, "sometimes they are weird and sometimes they are great". It seemed to me that early in the season the performers are friendly, upbeat and talkative while later in the season they get less talkative and maybe just a little grumpy. They are no doubt getting tired and a little weary of the very hectic schedule.

One thing I know they want to hear is that you enjoyed the performance---it means a lot to them. Also be aware of the fact that you won't see lots high revolution jumps. There may be a few but even those generally are backed off a revolution or two. This seems to upset some folks in the audience.

If you are sitting close to the ice it is amazing to get sense of the speed they are travelling with such apparent ease.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »
I'm looking forward to a review of this year's show - wondering if it is going to more like the old Champions on Ice or more like the old Stars on Ice or somehow a combination of both?

Opening night can be a little rough - tonight is opening night.

I have been to the meet and greet on closing night and that was more fun because they were all in great moods and having more fun during the show than usual (coming out in each other's costumes, etc. - that was in Champions on Ice) .

I have sat in almost every seat in the house for shows except the on-ice - I can't say that it was any less enjoyable in the upper reaches than in the lower seats but I know I had the most fun when it was a packed house.  The last fews years of Stars on Ice were sad because the room was so empty.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
The show is fabulous, and we all had a good time. 

It was a weird time at first.  Our arena is a big, hockey arena, with two additional, recreational ice rinks attached.   Most of the club is used to being in the "big rink" because we have our holiday show there, on occasion practices get pushed over there, and a number of the girls put on skating programs for the pro-hockey team's intermissions.  The girls are used to being "backstage" at the big rink.  It's really the pro-hockey team's turf, but the girls think it's their turf too, because the hockey team/staff are so nice to the figure skaters!  (They even use the weight rooms, trainers, etc).

The club was "allowed" to watch the Stars on Ice pre-show warmups.  The club met at the recreational rink.  From the beginning, the guards treated the girls like they were convicted felons.  The guards told everyone the deal going in "We are walking to Section 106, on the right there are programs you may purchase before you sit down, you are to sit in rows "X" (like 5) or higher, you are not allowed to leave easily from your seat, you may leave your seat to go to the restrooms right behind the section, you are to stay seated, the skaters are going to just practice, one might come over for autographs after, but that's it."   When we got to our seats, two, BIG guards stood on the steps at each side of Section 106, the bottom row, facing the small crowd, with a bulldog grunt on their face.  What the heck, like the 60 pound, 8 year old figure skating girl who knows ice etiquette and can do doubles, has Todd Eldredge as a coach (or sees him on the ice everyday), is really going to be a security threat!  Puleeease!  In all fairness, I realize that the guards were just "doing their job" and I don't know who the guards were employed by.  They could be the arena's guards for the hockey games, because they "can be" a little tough.   But, I always thought that was because of the crowd.  It was just a very cold tone that was set by the greeter and the guards. 

Thankfully, the skaters were as excited to see us, as us them, when we entered.    They were waiving to us from the ice.   The kids, parents, and coaches were talking, and clapping when appropriate.  Still, the overweight Barney Fifes were rigid.  It didn't matter much, because everyone was watching and learning from the best.   The warm-up was a lesson and a half for all the club skaters  Paulina's warm up was a lot like the power class, and the "suggested" warm up that the coaches ask the skaters to do.   

At first, Jason Brown and Ashley Wagner stopped on the ice in front of the section where we were sitting.  It looked like they were not allowed to get off the ice.  They tried to take selfies from their phone with the girls in the background.  Rumor was that that picture was going to be circulated via e-mail to the club members.  Then, Jason Brown came to the edge of the section and signed autographs.  He signed a skate, an i-phone case and a lot of programs.  He was warm, very nice, and open to everyone.  I didn't ask him a question, because I was in awe of his sit spin, which I complemented him on.  (I am going to copy that sit spin).   While this was going on, Ashley Wagner broke protocol and jumped over the section barriers to come sit with the girls.  It just made these girls' night!   She took a lot of pictures, and did autographs.  I think the guards were flipping out.  Oh, puleeeese! 

I really think it struck home to these top skaters that they had come full circle.  Not long ago, they were awestruck kids watching a Stars on Ice performance.  Ths morning (day after the show) on the group Freestyle classes (dance, power, spins & jumps, and synchro), the girls were excited.  Moms commented to me that they had absolutely no problem getting their kids up this morning for skating.  Skating can get monotonous, and this show is a sure shot in the arm.

It was a fabulous show.  It was a great learning experience, with many coaches, kids, and parents watching.   The level of jumping, backspins, and footwork was awesome to see.   I don't think that any of the skaters held back. There were triple lutzes and triple flips by everyone (but the ice dancers).

I'd have to say that Jason & Ashley stole the show last night.  Ashley did a program to an Eurythmics, Sweet Dreams, song.  It had to be 3 to 5 minutes long, super fast, and she tore it up.  I kept thinking, I'd be totally out of breath.  Energizer bunny's twin.   Her other song , Young and Beautiful" was very passionate.   

Jason Brown is an incredible athlete & showman, and a gumby.  His routine to MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This" brought down the house.  He wore our hockey team's jersey, too!  His first program was a River Dance, and I think it was his US National's program.  It was soooooo goooooood!   

Paulina is an awesome skater.  When she is on the ice, even in warm-ups, you can't stop watching her.  She is quiet like a stealth bomber and lands like a cat.  Girl does NOT scratch her toepicks. She did Uptown Girl and looked like a dead ringer to Christy Brinkley.   She is a little actress, and this is going to blossom as she grows older.

Gracie Gold is very tiny, and had the best dress of the night.  A blue dress with a zillion crystals on it and the song was "Frozen".  A tiny princess is how I remember her.  Jeromy Abbott is an awesome, awesome jumper. and performer.  He's quiet, like Boitano, but has footwork like Eldredge.  He did "The Fear" by Ben Howard, and that song just suited him to a T.   Mariai Nagasu is an absolute dreamy skater to see.  She has the most flow on the ice.  She did the theme to "On Golden Pond' and it was as beautiful as the opening scene with the loon birds swimming on the lake.   Alissa Czisny was also awesome, again, you can tell that she has more experience under her belt.  The girls were all in love with Josh Farris and Ryan Bradley, Ryan did a routine to "Wake Me Up" and that was one of those 'Great Skates' that i will always remember.  The lyrics and the song and him were perfection. Josh did "To Build a Home" which is a very quiet, new song.  It had a lyrical quality to it.  Kim Navarro is a beautiful ice dance, with so much extension, it's an envy!  Their dance program to "How do you like me now?" was an energetical, beautifully angry dual.  I really loved that routine.  And, of course, Meryl and Charle were there too.  Their dance lifts and power.  But, they did "show dance", and I wish one of the pairs would have done a traditional dance pattern.   But, other than us club members who took dance, the rest of the audience wanted the lifts and spins.

Most of all, everyone on that ice had a back spin to die for.  It is something to watch those backspins on tv, but to see it in person.  Just drilled the blade into the ice and blurred the skater.  They all did a lot of good footwork, with a lot of loops, counters, brackets, etc.  The jumps were, as I said before, a lot of triples.  One skater did/attempted three triple axels, there were a lot of triple lutz's and triple flips.  So, I think that because they are fresh off competition, they were all still super sharp in skills.

So, I have my copy-cat moves that I am going to "attempt" to learn.  First, is Jason Brown's side leaning sit spin.  Second, is (I think, Josh Farris) twizzles into a running three turns and into a fast back scratch spin.  (I think I better stock up on gel pads).

It was very enjoyable, and I think a benefit to every skating club.  If it's anywhere near you, go.  If not, rent a bus and have the whole club go.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:37:38 AM »
Thanks for the review. It comes to my city in the middle of the tour. My hubby bought me 2 on ice seats for my birthday. I am sitting on one of the ends.

Trying to decide who to bring with me. Most likely my daughter that skates. Although my other daughter likes to watch skating, but not skate. My sister who coaches, is also an option.