You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When did you start private lessons?  (Read 8814 times)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
When did you start private lessons?
« on: March 27, 2014, 10:31:04 PM »
There's 3 weeks left on my adult lts session, and I'm debating whether or not I should consider starting private lessons. I do plan to continue the group sessions, as it is fun and they seem to always cater to each skater's abilities.

The adults in my class don't seem to take private lessons, but that may just be because many of them have children skating too and would like to be more budget conscious.

Thoughts? At what point did you start private lessons? Did you wish you had signed up sooner?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: When did you start private lessons?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »
I started private lessons after I passed Basic 8. At that point I wanted to start working on MITF and competition programs which group lessons would not do. 

I continued in group lessons for freestyle because they were a great value.

I do not think starting sooner would have benefited me. Private lessons are expensive, and I progressed well in groups.

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »
I started Semi-Privates in Beta, but in hindsight that was likely too soon. When the woman I took Semi-Privates left for another coach, that left me alone and I was only Gamma. Again, hindsight is 20/20 and this was too soon. My original plan was to wait until Freestyle before starting privates, but I got a bit pressured into it. What I got left with was a very weird amalgamation of skills that I'm just now trying to put together.

Do what feels right for you, but a class should give you plenty to work on in practice in the Pre-Free levels.

Privates are essential for MIF and Program work, but for general skating not necessary. I still take Group Lessons to supplement my skating, they are a wonderful value if the coaches can successfully work with a wide variety of skill levels.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
I was in a Basic 6-8 class and advancing pretty quickly when I started private lessons. My group instructor told me she could teach me my first three dances and I could pass them pretty quickly and I had no idea what she was talking about, but I was interested. I did a little research and started private lessons with her shortly after.

I think it was the right time to start group lessons. I was just learning a waltz jump in group classes, so somewhere at the end of Basic Skills, and entering freestyle.

I would still take group lessons in addition to private if there were any relevant to my level in my area.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:39:33 PM »
When or if you start private lessons is highly individualized so one size does not fit all.  Group classes are great but you do not get the same attention as one on one coaching unless the class size relative to the number of coaches is really small.  For me having different coaches with different teaching methods was not helpful.  Whatever you decide is not written in stone and you can always change your mind.

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
I'm still in group.  :) I am testing Delta tomorrow, so might be getting into the Freestyle world (which is a whole new ballgame.)

But I have noticed that at higher Freestyle levels (my rink has group lessons up to ISI FS 4) the classes tend to be pretty small, sometimes only two students. So that would be like semi-private for the same price as group. I'm hoping to continue group as much as possible as I go through Freestyle.
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »
My rink is USFSA and I had passed Adult 1-4.  I know there are two more levels now but that wasn't the case then.  I continued to take group lessons by registering for Adult 4 and then working on whatever skills the coach and I agreed upon-we filled in some of the things that are in the Basic 1-8 that I had missed and then some FS 1 skills.  We didn't have many adult skaters and so I was very spoiled-it was essentially a private or semi-private lesson for very little cost.   Several adults began taking group lessons which I thought was great (and still do!) but it meant that 1 coach was teaching 2 non-native English speakers who had never skated before, an Adult  2 skater, an Adult 3 skater and me.  The coach would divide up the time so that each skill level had 10 minutes. 

I enjoy the private lessons and I'm working on preparing for the Pre-Bronze MITF so I think this has made sense for me.  I actually kind of enjoyed the times when there were several of us in the Adult class-when I started there were 4-5 of us and then it just dropped off because it was nice having other adults. 

A couple of other things to consider-one was the cost factor and not just that you pay a coach but at our rink 1 free public practice session was included with each group lesson.  When I switched to private lessons that meant paying for freestyle time for the lesson and then paying for the practice session.  I know you've mentioned you would stay in group lessons so that might be reduced for you.

I'm happy with my coach and I think that one thing that helped me make my decision was that I had worked with several of the coaches in group lessons and so I knew who I worked well with as far as coaching.   By the time I switched, I had pretty much had at least 1 lesson with all of the coaches at the rink (well, except the high level ones and now there are some new ones). 

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »
Agree that it depends on a lot of personal factors, like how well you learn in group versus private setting and how fast you learn. I started with private lessons right from the start, and I am really glad I did. I did group lessons and privates concurrently when I started (I was going to start privates after the group session ended, but got impatient) and the group classes were definitely too slow for me, with too many adults and not enough coach attention.

For instance, the group coach taught crossovers by showing us a few times and having us copy her, and didn't explain anything about weight distribution or arm placement or anything like that. My private coach had me on the right technique from the start and therefore I learned very quickly with her. By the time my 10-week group session was over I'd passed Adult 1-4 thanks to the private lessons I was also doing. If I'd only done group lessons I think I would have still been stuck on two-foot turns at the end -- the group coach just didn't have that much time to go around and us adults were all in different levels. But I also learn pretty quickly and my group session was very crowded.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »
I skated briefly as a child in an ISI rink and started private lessons once I hit freestyle. It was the right time for me.

I took an 8 year hiatus and came back as an adult to a USFSA rink. It took me several years before I hired a private coach. I think I was in free skate 5 or 6? I wish I would have started private lessons as an adult earlier because I needed the individual attention. I still take weekly group lessons and private lessons.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline Lola

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
It was a combination of boredom from not knowing what to work on and screwing up the courage to ask the person that I thought was the best coach at my rink for lessons. One of my very best decisions.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »
Haven't started yet.  My rink doesn't do testing for adults in the LTS classes, but I'm roughly working on ISI Beta/USFSA Adult 3 skills, very very slowly. The adult classes are very small (1-5 people, usually; lately there have been 2 of us) so I'm getting a lot of attention, and I don't think it'll be worth it for me to spend extra on privates until I can fit significantly more practice time into my schedule and until I'm much further along. I'm considering signing up for a second weekly class, though, just to force myself to get more ice time in.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
Right before Basic 8 ended.  :-)
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »
Thank you guys for all of your input! I know it is totally an individual thing, but i sure like hearing what other people did/ are doing. :)

I'm still in group.  :) I am testing Delta tomorrow, so might be getting into the Freestyle world (which is a whole new ballgame.)

But I have noticed that at higher Freestyle levels (my rink has group lessons up to ISI FS 4) the classes tend to be pretty small, sometimes only two students. So that would be like semi-private for the same price as group. I'm hoping to continue group as much as possible as I go through Freestyle.
Good luck WaltzJump - hope the test was successful!

Agree that it depends on a lot of personal factors, like how well you learn in group versus private setting and how fast you learn. I started with private lessons right from the start, and I am really glad I did. I did group lessons and privates concurrently when I started (I was going to start privates after the group session ended, but got impatient) and the group classes were definitely too slow for me, with too many adults and not enough coach attention.

For instance, the group coach taught crossovers by showing us a few times and having us copy her, and didn't explain anything about weight distribution or arm placement or anything like that. My private coach had me on the right technique from the start and therefore I learned very quickly with her. By the time my 10-week group session was over I'd passed Adult 1-4 thanks to the private lessons I was also doing. If I'd only done group lessons I think I would have still been stuck on two-foot turns at the end -- the group coach just didn't have that much time to go around and us adults were all in different levels. But I also learn pretty quickly and my group session was very crowded.
Fortunately, the coach in the group session i'm in is quite good at recognizing where people are and teaching different variations, and also correcting individual needs. The rink has a deal on the adult class, if you take both of the weekday sessions it is only about $20 or so more, so I think I'm going to sign up for that just for the value haha. I like the idea of taking both group and privates :)

I enjoy the private lessons and I'm working on preparing for the Pre-Bronze MITF so I think this has made sense for me.  I actually kind of enjoyed the times when there were several of us in the Adult class-when I started there were 4-5 of us and then it just dropped off because it was nice having other adults. 
I like being around other people too haha. Many of the women in the class have been taking it for a few sessions and they are all very friendly. Even though i'm younger than most, being in my mid 20s, I think it is a fun atmosphere!
Haven't started yet.  My rink doesn't do testing for adults in the LTS classes, but I'm roughly working on ISI Beta/USFSA Adult 3 skills, very very slowly. The adult classes are very small (1-5 people, usually; lately there have been 2 of us) so I'm getting a lot of attention, and I don't think it'll be worth it for me to spend extra on privates until I can fit significantly more practice time into my schedule and until I'm much further along. I'm considering signing up for a second weekly class, though, just to force myself to get more ice time in.
I know what you mean on the second class! I don't think my rink tests adults LTS either, but my main focuses are my missing mohawks, stops and 3 turns. I seem to have a few of them but the others haven't come back yet. That is nice that your classes have been small! mine have been less than 10 people as well. This week i think there were 5! lol

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »
I started private lessons about a year and a half in. I was still in adult 4, but had decided I wanted to do more than my original goal of competent laps. I wanted to wear a pretty dress and jump and spin. Many years later, I still do a combination of private and group. I'm hoping new, properly fitted skates will move me along faster and completely above group levels, though there can never be enough reinforcement of basics.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 06:12:29 PM »

I started private lessons about a year and a half in. I was still in adult 4, but had decided I wanted to do more than my original goal of competent laps. I wanted to wear a pretty dress and jump and spin. Many years later, I still do a combination of private and group. I'm hoping new, properly fitted skates will move me along faster and completely above group levels, though there can never be enough reinforcement of basics.
That is such a great point - I am finding the group lessons to be so great for that!

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »

Good luck WaltzJump - hope the test was successful!
Thanks, littlerain! It was. :D
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »
I want to ask about getting private lessons, but for some reason I'm afraid people will look at me funny lol

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »
Let 'em look. Do what you want to do, not what others think you should!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 07:12:31 PM »
I want to ask about getting private lessons, but for some reason I'm afraid people will look at me funny lol

When I was 9 or so years old, I wouldn't hold my arms out to the side because I was afraid people would look at me funny.  My coach asked me, "Do the really good skaters go around the rink with their arms down?"  He also told me that I looked more funny with my arms down than out.  I will say to you, that to advance, it will help you to take group lessons and private lessons.  I'd start out with a private lesson each month or twice a month.  Do you think the people with coaches look wierd?  Rather, they are trying to not get hurt.  The private coach becomes your eyes to correct YOUR bad habits.  That, will keep you safe(r).

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 07:15:29 PM »

When I was 9 or so years old, I wouldn't hold my arms out to the side because I was afraid people would look at me funny.  My coach asked me, "Do the really good skaters go around the rink with their arms down?"  He also told me that I looked more funny with my arms down than out.  I will say to you, that to advance, it will help you to take group lessons and private lessons.  I'd start out with a private lesson each month or twice a month.  Do you think the people with coaches look wierd?  Rather, they are trying to not get hurt.  The private coach becomes your eyes to correct YOUR bad habits.  That, will keep you safe(r).

Thank you neverdull44 - you are so right, of course! as a child, I was always worried about what people thought of me. I thought I had grown out of it, but clearly when it comes to this I haven't! ;) thanks for the perspective. I like the once/twice a month suggestion as well!

You guys are great hehe :)

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 10:20:14 PM »
I started private lessons when I was in Adult 4. I would get bored in group classes, and I wanted challenge. I think the best time to start privates would probably be when you have progressed past the group classes or if you want to get better faster. Also, if you are interested in testing or competing, private lessons will be necessary.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 01:23:29 AM »
I've emailed the skating director (who also coaches the adults class, but has had  a lot of conflicts these past few wks) about private lessons. Yay! I hope she'll be coaching the class tomorrow (well, today I guess haha) so I can ask her.

I've also emailed another rink nearby but haven't heard back since I mentioned days/times and my level.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 11:08:27 PM »
I was in private lessons from the get-go - my rink only had group classes on one day at one time at the time, and it was a day I ALWAYS worked.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 12:53:12 PM »
I had my first private lesson on Thursday! :)

Thank you all for your input - I always like hearing what other people do, so keep up the responses :)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 12:59:06 AM »
My club does hybrids- everyone one the ice is the same level.  So they teach everyone at the same time (running through a dance pattern, or a spin for example) and pull people out for privates to work on specific things, or their program.  I like it- for me it works well.

As a kid, I recall starting privates after I finished Freestyle 1.  That may also have been where my rink stopped groups.  I feel like there were at least a handful of kids who never did groups; had privates from the start.

I think it really depends on you.  Sounds like you've made the step- enjoy!, but for the record, I'd say, especially as an adult, if you want privates, do privates.