You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Makeup for a performance?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Alibee

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Makeup for a performance?
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:22:08 PM »
My 8-year-old daughter recently joined our rink's ice theater team and they will be performing at a show in a couple of weeks. The costumes are taken care of, but I have a total noob question about the makeup for the performance.

What sort of makeup should we use? Theatrical makeup, drugstore brands, or ?? They are fairies, and she will be wearing a black skirt and wings with a white leotard (all the fairies have different colored skirts/wings).

(Also, please feel free to move this question to a different board if it's not the right place for it)

Thanks!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Makeup for a performance?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:44:48 PM »
Theatrical makeup. Bright lights. Reflected back from white ice will overwhelm anything from the makeup counter.

I once put on enough makeup to look like a two-dollar whore and my dance coach told me I would need more.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:41:12 AM »
I'd ask the coach. We don't do ice theatre but our Christmas show is a show and not a gala. The coach/director tells us what makeup to use. They may have a specific idea so all the fairies look similar.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
I'd ask the coach. We don't do ice theatre but our Christmas show is a show and not a gala. The coach/director tells us what makeup to use. They may have a specific idea so all the fairies look similar.

Agreed.  If this is a group number, the coach should be dictating the makeup look to make sure the group looks cohesive.

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »
Agreed on the "ask the coach" advice.

But anything involving bright lights will need something a bit more than the over-the-counter makeup. I use theatrical makeup, Ben Nye, for anything where there is true stage lighting. Any basic book on Stage Makeup will provide a good primer on how to apply, and a little glitters on the eyes never hurt anyone. It usually doesn't read from forty feet away, but it's fun anyway!