You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Getting Back into Skating  (Read 1680 times)

Offline CarolineE

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
Getting Back into Skating
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »
Hi everyone!

So excited to find this forum! This is my first post, and I'm looking to get some advice.

My name is Caroline and I live in NYC. I'm an actress but used to skate all the time. I stopped when I was 14 and I'm 24 now (yikes).

When I stopped I was PreJuv. Somehow I found my old USFSA number, which is great. So, basically, I'm wondering what I should do & how I should go about it. I live in NYC which is great, so I have access to a bunch of rinks and clubs. Should I join a skating club? Or just start doing it on my own? Should I re-join USFSA?  I'd like to continue testing and improve, but I really am at a loss for what exactly I should do.

Also, I would love skate recommendations. I have an old (but decent) pair of SP Terri's for now. I'm working on doubles and Juvenile elements.

Woof, I have a thousand questions! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Getting Back into Skating
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
Are you working with a coach yet?  If not, that's where I would start.  Joining a club may offer you access to more ice time, but for most adults, they don't join a club until they're ready to test or want to compete. 

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 09:56:28 PM »
No point rejoining USFS until you want to test or compete.  Keep in mind that the membership year runs July 1 - June 30, and they don't prorate.  That might make a difference in when you decide to rejoin.  If you need to be a club member to get the ice time you need, you might want to rejoin earlier.  And be sure to check out the Adult competitive levels!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »
Hey Caroline, how is it going? Did you restart skating? :)

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 11
  • Ice is Nice
    • Allocca Biotechnology, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »
If you join The Skating Club of NY (USFSA) you get rink privileges and discounts at Chelsea Piers and other participating rinks. Check out their website. I belong to the club and live in Suffolk. If you live in NYC it will be very convenient for you.

http://www.thescny.org

John