You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: counting revolutions  (Read 1163 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
counting revolutions
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »
dd asked me to count revolutions.  So it is a layback into a haircutter.  She says that the total has to be over 8, but I think either the layback or the haircutter has to be over 8 and the other is min of two so a min total of 10.  Which is it?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: counting revolutions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:39:23 AM »
one of the features is that it has to be 8 in one position and another feature is the difficult position (haircutter) which needs 2 to be called. I don't know it the 8 in one position means 8 in a layback (and a haircutter is still a layback) versus a different basic position (camel,sit, upright).
I would be aiming to do more anyway as I've always been told to make sure there's no doubt, so more revolutions (1 or 2 extra) removes any doubt of how long the position is held for.

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »
I am assuming she is skating under the IJS system. If so, she need to hit 8 revolutions in the layback and 2 in the haircutter for a Level 2 spin.

Remember, the revolutions don't count until you achieve your position. So if it takes one full revolution to hit the layback, that first revolution doesn't count. Same with the transition to the haircutter. It won't count until you fully achieve the haircutter position.

Always aim for 9-10 revolutions for the basic position (layback) and then 3-4 for the difficult variation (haircutter).

Hope that helps!
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »
If she is a Novice level skater, she needs a total of at least 6 revolutions in layback position (includes layback, haircutter and/or Biellmann) in the short program.  If she is a Junior, she needs a total of at least 8 revolutions.  To get a level 2, she needs 8 revolutions in layback position + 2 revolutions in haircutter position.