You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Foot Pain and Choices for New Boots  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
Foot Pain and Choices for New Boots
« on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:27 AM »
Maybe it's all the snow.  Maybe it's my snow boots breaking down, but I now have an annoying pain across my foot where I tie a knot in the laces of my skates before I get to the hooks.  (Did that make any sense?)  I don't know exactly what that part of the foot is called, but it's right where it bends near the ankle.  Anyway, it's only on my left (landing) foot and I'm wondering if it's because my skates are rather old. 

With that in mind, I was wondering about opinions on new boots.  I was thinking of the Jackson DJ2400.  Any opinions?  I liked the EDEAs but I have a wide foot and they just hurt too much.

What boots do you have?  What are your opinions?  Please. :love:
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Foot Pain and Choices for New Boots
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
My sister has had pain exactly where you describe. She was diagnosed with tendonitis.
If you google lace bite/skate bite that might help and you can buy gel tubes to help prevent the iritation.

Offline Kitten23

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
Thank you!!  I will look that up right away!
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »
It does indeed sound like "lace bite". There are also places that will rebuild the padding on the tongue, including some boot manufacturers. I had an older pair of Gold Stars that I kept for 4 or 5 years of heavy use, and developed lace bite. It's very painful.

After my padding was replaced, the problem completely disappeared. I recall that I sent my skates to Cooke's Skate Supply in MA. You could email them to see if they are still offering this kind of repair, or contact your local fitter to ask about other options.
Bill Schneider

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »
You don't have to tie the laces at the ankle. I used to get the same pain, so I now just tie at the top.  I think when boots were more flexible, that tying at the ankle was necessary, but now that they're so stiff, you can do without it.

YMMV.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »
One person (I think on this board) said they used a LaceVice to provide a rigid surface over which to lace, to eliminate lace bite.

On the cheap side, you could cut a piece of plastic and run it under the laces to create much the same effect. One respected boot fitter told me he did that.

If the tongue is the only part breaking down, getting new boots seems expensive. Also, for a fee the boot maker can probably replace the tongue.

Good luck.

Offline Kitten23

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 09:26:20 AM »
Sadly the cushion on the tongue is long gone and I've been using a cosmetic puff to pad the area.  The skates are really broken down now, with deep creases along the ankle area.  I can have them reinforced, but rebuilding is probably out of the question as they are over 10 years old. :blush:   However, I'll try everyone's suggestions.

Anyone have the Jackson DJ2400?  Or was it 4200?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »
The 2400 is the competitor, the 4200 is one of the newly introduced elite models... which do you mean?

I've not had any problems with the level of cushion on the tongues in my 3900's (the old Elite Supreme).  That said, I need a new pair of boots myself now but since they've discontinued the 3900 and the tongues on the 4200 and 4500 both have latex foam (I'm allergic), I'm looking at other options since with the split width I need, two changes makes it considered a full custom order, and a custom from Jackson rivals buying a custom pair from any other maker, and if I am going full custom I'd rather work with a fitter in person to make sure I get exactly what I want/need rather than an approximation of a discontinued stock boot.

I would strongly suggest the bunga lace bite pads to get you through until you can get new boots... you need something to protect that area.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
I second the Bunga gel sleeves/pads, or an equivalent to them. I have gone through many a pair of gel sleeves and couldn't skate now without them. When I skated as a kid I definitely developed lace bight but never used gel sleeves to help with the problem. Fast forward to present day and would probably be in pain everyday if I didn't skate with them. I never even knew about them until I started skating again as an adult :) but I'll tell you I love them!!!