You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Opinions Needed... And Quickly!  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
Opinions Needed... And Quickly!
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
Although I haven't been skating as many hours as I would like, I have been consistent with my skills.  After months of "no confidence" votes from my coach, she tells me YESTERDAY that I should do Sectionals.  ???
The deadline is Friday; I haven't done my technical program in 2 YEARS and I recently slightly hurt my back.  Her theory is that the competition is so close (NJ, I like in NY) and well "why not?"

Fellow skaters, I need your opinion... What would you do?  And am I insane for even considering it?  When the heck is Easterns anyway?? :sweat
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Opinions Needed... And Quickly!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
http://northjerseyfsc.org/2014-eastern-adult-sectional-qualifying-announcement/#

This sounds like a personal decision to me.  Will it be fun for you?

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
Easter is on April 20th this year.
That's a few weeks to get up to speed.

How much is the entry/travel gonna set you back?
(I'd say go)
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »
If you enjoy competing, then go for it! Easterns will have the qualifying events for Adult Nationals, along with lots of non-qualifying events for adults. If you don't have other large adult competitions in your area, I think it's worth checking out to see lots of adults skating and competing.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »
do you think you'll be up to speed in time and do you think you'll be healthy enough to go?

I had a similar on/off decision from my coach a few years ago. She'd been saying no, and then at the last minute said yes. I stuck with the no and was glad because the following week my back wasn't strong enough to skate.

But ultimately it's your decision. The coach has just said that she thinks you can be ready in time. Only you really know how you will feel with the added pressure of entering while not feeling as prepared as you could be at this stage.

Offline Kitten23

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
I think I'm going to say "no".  I have never been prepared for a single, solitary competition I have entered, and that was with at least 2 months preparation.  One month is really not enough time.  I'll go and cheer people on, but will graciously bow out.

I think part of the reason is that my nemesis will be at that competition.  The last time we spoke, she told me I would ALWAYS be a lousy skater; I'd prefer not to prove her right.

In the meantime, I'll look for other competitions in April/May and prepare for that all annoying Silver MIF.  (Could I have skated up to Silver at Easterns?)

Thanks!
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »

I think part of the reason is that my nemesis will be at that competition.  The last time we spoke, she told me I would ALWAYS be a lousy skater; I'd prefer not to prove her right.

OMG!!!!  Someone actually said that to you?!  Sounds like she's trying to prove something to herself.  Or she thinks you're competitive and is trying to psyche you out.  In either case what a ______.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 01:12:21 PM »
I apologize...Monday morning and I poured half my coffee down the drain as it got cold...

I am still in the 'go' group, unless $$ and back pain make it a no-go.

But then again, I am at terms with my lack of ability, not afraid to fall on my butt.
After all, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But if the trainer is so wishy-washy, why stick with her?

And of course, you should be there, to seek out your Nemesis, shake her hands, look her dead in the eyes and wish her a great skate, with the biggest of smiles...that should confuse her sufficiently enough! :)

Offline Kitten23

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
Oooo... now I'm thinking "maybe"....

Yes, my nemisis really did say that.  We were competing against one another and she wanted her cd back.  She asked me to get it for her.  I said I wanted to see the results and would be over there afterwards to get my own cd.  She said, "You came in last.  You always come in last because you're a lousy skater.  Now, can you go get my cd?"  Because she was my ride home, I got her cd.  And she was right; I came in last.  I should also mention that I had buried my mother just six weeks earlier. 

She always made finals at AN and last year, for the first time ever, someone gave her last place.  I watched her skate on Icenetwork and I didn't see where it was so bad.  However, the other ladies in the group were pretty darn good.

As for my "on-the-fence" coach, I think she recognized my lack of motivation over my MIF test (two weak three turns and one weak mohawk is preventing me from testing this thing) and thought this would pick me up.  However, she did say that I'd have a whole lot of work ahead of me and would have to skate daily.  Daily skating  just isn't going to happen (not with this stupid arctic blast keeping my car parked down a ramp) and she mentioned how I'm never trained enough for any competition. 

Why I keep her is simple: not a lot of coaches in NY will take on adults; she does.  Our schedules mesh, more or less, until the summer when everything gets tossed out the window...

However, I am still going to go watch. 

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 04:28:58 PM »
make sure you have your own ride home!
what a cow!  >:(

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 04:52:20 PM »
I agree that your nemesis is quite the *cow!

I don't think you can skate up to Silver at Sectionals.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

You should do it - fun!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »

Hey, after an ice show a skater, an adult, told me words to the effect 'your skating isn't any good, and neither was your costume'. Only worse.

I just stared at her and turned away. I recommend that for you. OR say "I'm sorry, you've confused me with someone who cares what you think." Either way, if you think it's going to be a problem, then practice your responses in the mirror.

You don't have a nemesis. You have a snotty girl who gets her jollies out of making other girls cry.   You can't go through life avoiding people who are rude to you.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
I don't think you can skate up to Silver at Sectionals.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

I think you are right and you can't skate up at a qualifying competition.  Non-qualifying is different and you usually can, but it really depends on what the competition announcement says.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
I believe you can skate up for everything that is NOT labeled "Championship" at Easterns.   :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
I believe you can skate up for everything that is NOT labeled "Championship" at Easterns.   :)

Really even for like, Bronze FS?  Is there "Championship Bronze"?

Not being a competitive skater I really actually have no clue LOL :blush:

Offline nicklaszlo

• Total GOE: 221
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 03:17:24 AM »

Guess what no one knows what you've gone through to get to the competition and equally you don't know what the other competitors have gone through. And SOMEONE has to come last. I can generally guarantee that it is me coming last. I know my faults, and I also know what I've overcome to get to the competition. And guess what, I'm just delighted to be able to go out and compete and if my coming last massages someone else's ego, then so be it. I'm making them feel good about themselves. And hopefully one day someone will return the favour.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »
Guess what no one knows what you've gone through to get to the competition and equally you don't know what the other competitors have gone through. [snip] .....I know my faults, and I also know what I've overcome to get to the competition. And guess what, I'm just delighted to be able to go out and compete....

Fsk8r- I applaud your mind-set!  I bet you also go out on the ice and have a great time.  That is what this is all about.  Kudo's to you!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 06:36:34 AM »
Fsk8r- I applaud your mind-set!  I bet you also go out on the ice and have a great time.  That is what this is all about.  Kudo's to you!

don't worry - I'll still look terrified when I go out to compete later this week and I desperately want to NOT come last (even if that's not on the coach's goal list for the week). But I can safely say, I went out and had a blast at my last synchro competition. It's been a long journey to change the mindset, but it's beginning to get through - but the medical profession did have to threaten to take skating away so I could realise what was really important.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
Cub Scout motto: Do your Best.

I keep thinking win lose or draw, competition is what you work for, to have the ice all to yourself, just you and your music, no other distractions, nobody to dodge. It's the reward. If you leave it all on the ice you won't have regrets.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »
I believe you can skate up at non-qualifying events at Sectionals. I'm skating Bronze FS and I'm pretty sure it gave me the option to register for Silver.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Kitten23

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »
make sure you have your own ride home!
what a cow!  >:(

I always make sure I have a ride home now.  As a matter of fact, I always travel to competitions alone.

Hey, after an ice show a skater, an adult, told me words to the effect 'your skating isn't any good, and neither was your costume'. Only worse.

I just stared at her and turned away. I recommend that for you. OR say "I'm sorry, you've confused me with someone who cares what you think." Either way, if you think it's going to be a problem, then practice your responses in the mirror.

You don't have a nemesis. You have a snotty girl who gets her jollies out of making other girls cry.   You can't go through life avoiding people who are rude to you.

You are sooo right!  And as far as the cow who told you that your skating and your costume weren't up to her idiotic level of "snuff"...  you are more of a lady than I am. 

Seriously, what is wrong with people to say these things?  I would NEVER, EVER be this negative toward anyone.  I live by the Thumper Rule: If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Offline Doubletoe

• Total GOE: 139
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 11:49:50 PM »
If the competition is close enough that you don't have to pay for airfare or hotel, why not go ahead and sign up.  If nothing else, it will give you a "must-not-suck-by" date that will improve your skating between now and March,and if you still don't feel ready, you can always withdraw without having spent too much money. 

Whoever that was who thought Adult Bronze was some sort of Olympic trials really needs to be pitied.  Probably had a terrible childhood with an abusive mother.  You just do what's best for your skating and your goals.  And if this competition doesn't serve your skating goals, you don't have to do it.  This is for you and your skating. Use it as such. :)

P.S. When you come in "last" you still beat everyone who was too chicken to show up.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 12:16:18 AM »
P.S. When you come in "last" you still beat everyone who was too chicken to show up.

Yes!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 12:36:50 AM »

Love it!
And so true.
Just what I needed to hear this week (me and another friend are "fighting" for last place!).