You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Testing outfit  (Read 3473 times)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
Testing outfit
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:57:05 AM »
Hi everyone,
So I have my pre-pre MIF exam  on Saturday. This is the first time I test in the national test system, I did ISI up to FS6 when I was little and always tested there in my freestyle/competition dress. However, things have change drastically. I am not a little girl any more and dare I say it I have curves.....

Normally I skate in practice in a tennis skirt and leotard and a warm but fitted pulley and my over the boot tights. I know I am suppose to wear a skating dress, but the only one I have is a bit too small in the girth and money is a bit tight at the moment (I am buying new skates). What would you suggest to test in? My normal tennis skirt and leotard, skating pants, or something else?  Would it be appropriate to make do with a leotard and a wrap around ballet skirt?

Any suggestion is welcomed.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: Testing outfit
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »
Congratulations on going for your pre-pre moves test! I think the most important thing about what you wear is that you feel comfortable in it and don't look sloppy. I wore a leotard and wrap around ballet skirt for my first moves test as an adult. If the tennis skirt and leotard look presentable, that might be a very good choice to test in. Others may be able to chime in with more information.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:42:10 AM »
What you suggest sounds fine, especially for a Moves test.  You are never required to wear an actual skating dress if you don't want to.  Adult ladies are also allowed to wear pants (although I've never seen anyone actually do that for a test).  For ice dance tests, I have often worn a leotard and wrap skirt.  I practice in tennis skirts sometimes, too, and wouldn't feel at all strange wearing one for a Moves test.

Good luck on Saturday!!!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
That's funny- I was looking at tennis skirts today and thinking hmmmmm.....Jodhpurs, too....

I used to test in a black skirt/dress, tights and a white mock turtleneck zip up sweater, with white gloves.  Still have the gloves!

Soooo what you normally wear sounds fine to me!  Especially your tennis skirt doesn't have shorts under it (or if they won't be seen) and everything's in subdued colors.  Just maybe switch out for a nice fitted sweater?  Or, depending on where the dress you have is too tight, could you get away with it underneath a sweater?

I would be nervous about the tie around skirts, just because they seem so fiddly and I always fear they'll come undone.  But if that's what you have, it looks nice, and you get the nod from your coach, then why not?

But what is your rink culture?  I'd ask around there, too.....there might be some different customs where you are now.  If it comes to it, could you borrow a dress from one of your fellow skaters?

I think what's important is to look nice for the judges, to be comfortable and in subdued colors so all of you can focus on the important thing: your skating.  I wouldn't wear to much, if any bling for a test.

Good luck on Saturday!!!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
As long as you look presentable, I wouldn't worry what you're wearing. You just want to look like you put a little thought into making yourself looking neat and tidy as it makes the right first impression. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »
I wore stretch pants and a long pullover sweater (like a ski sweater) for my Pre-Prel Moves/FS test. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 01:08:25 PM »
As long as whatever you choose to wear is form-fitting, it will be fine - mainly you just want to avoid loose pants (leggings and most skating pants are just fine though).

I've seen skaters at my club wear the full range - we even had an intermediate freeskate test not that long ago where the skater didn't wear a dress, she just wore leggings (and her club jacket).  She passed and no one said anything along the lines of "that would have been better in a dress" :)

I have tested both ways, and I prefer to just wear pants - it's what I normally skate in, so there's no added nerves relating to what I am wearing.

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 08:47:29 PM »
Ditto what everyone else had already said. Judges want you to feel comfortable, so your suggested outfit sounds just fine. You are welcome to wear a jacket (club jacket or a plain one) and gloves too.

Freestyle is a bit different since those are normally set to music but most people wear a plain dress with a jacket and gloves for MITF tests at my rink.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 09:04:55 PM »
At my last test, of the seven of us testing Pre bronze MITF/FS/pre-pre MITF/pre MITF, I was the only one in a dress. Everyone else had on black leggings. Only two had on non-black jackets.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 10:38:41 PM »
May I suggest your leotard, but with a pull-on skating skort, and a form-fitting sweater or jacket over the leotard. Over the boot tights would be fine.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !