You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Clubs  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Tigerstein

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
Clubs
« on: December 10, 2013, 07:38:45 PM »
Are any of you guys in a FS club? If so, what club, when did you join and why did you join.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Clubs
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »
I joined because I was testing. My club has a strong adult membership. The president was a gold level skater (we have several) who is now a judge. I don't know how many adult skaters there are, but there's lots.

I know there are clubs out there who are 'adult haters', and we have some members on the board who have some real horror stories, but my club cannot figure out what to do with the money it makes. Full test schedules, huge comps, well attended holiday shows. The club is so successful the rink manager keeps driving the prices up for freestyle because the members love skating so much they'll pay it.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
Pick your club based on the convenience of their test sessions, assuming there is a member discount.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »
In Canada to take lessons you basically have to belong to a club.  I am a member of my current club because it is close to where I live and has a great adult program

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
I think the OP is not an adult - you are a teen isn't that right Tigerstein?

I am a member of a club - most people will join a club that is associated with their rink - at least here in the U.S.

You need to be a US Figure Skating member in order to test the regular US Figure Skating tests.  If you are still in Basic Skills, then I believe all you need is a Basic Skills membership through US Figure Skating.  Most people who test are members of clubs but you can also be an individual member of US Figure Skating.

I rarely test anymore but since I am a judge I am a member of US Figure Skating and a member of one of our local skating clubs - this club just happens to be affiliated with the rink that I mostly skate at, but this is not a requirement.

Offline Tigerstein

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:59:01 PM »
Almost, I'm 12. I think it may be a good idea for me to join our club soon (starting testing, and more ice time!). I'm not in basic skills anymore :D, started working on loop and camel tonight! Do other rinks have club ice (more ice time for club members)?
Agnes: I think it's really cool that your rink has such a stung adult program! My rink has some adult skaters (one is 80!) and with the ones we do have everyone that I have met supports them. I was kinda shocked to learn that some rinks don't really like to have adult skaters...

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 02:13:21 AM »
I joined a club associated with my rink because you have to pay $25 more to test if you don't belong to a club, plus USFSA membership was only $75 instead of $125 if I'd joined as an individual member. I haven't gotten involved with any of the club activities yet.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 04:09:09 AM »
Our rink doesn't have a club, but everyone's so friendly it's like a little club anyway. You start seeing the same people regularly, friendship groups start forming and then all of a sudden you're a part of the rink community :)

As for a proper club, we're still too little for that (rink has only been open a year) and as our ice is too small to test on, we have to go to other rinks, so not sure how that'll work with things like that.
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 04:51:28 PM »
Our rink doesn't have a club, but everyone's so friendly it's like a little club anyway. You start seeing the same people regularly, friendship groups start forming and then all of a sudden you're a part of the rink community :)
^
I feel like that too, Vicki! My rink does have a club (but I'm not in it).

But I feel like everybody becomes kind of like a friend at the rink--I've had skaters I barely know encourage me when I had a bad skating test result. We're all in this skating thing together and I feel like I relate to people, even outside of a club format. It's cool.
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 06:47:03 PM »
Not necessarily on the ice time, but some clubs are way less expensive than individual membership

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
I'm in a club and an adult.  I like wearing the jacket.   ::>)
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
I'm a long-term individual member of ISI so I can order their manuals and videos, which I think are great.

In the past I've belonged to various local ISI and USFSA (also called USFS) clubs so I could participate in one thing or another, or so I could test something.

Around here (Maryland, near DC), you needed a club to get much ice time in the mid 1990's, when skating was more popular, if you worked regular hours. Now we have more skating rinks than is sustainable long term, and many rinks offer many excellent deals on sessions and activities (e.g., classes, events, shows, productions, competitions) that you can participate in without joining a club.

In the mean time, USFSA has upped its fees for skaters, coaches, clubs and spectators.

So, at least here, clubs have to work harder to attract members than they used to.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »
I belong to a club even though I didn't test or compete last year or this year. I helped resurrect it several years ago, served on the board for 4+ years as test chair, and feel strongly about it. Skating clubs run the tests and the competitions. I feel it important to support my club.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 09:06:39 PM »
That's great Pinklaces! These clubs need selfless volunteers like you to survive.

Especially the USFSA clubs, because, unlike some ISI clubs, the rinks don't pay anyone to help organize them. (I assume some of you volunteers have to pay to belong, which makes it even more of a service.) On top of that, I've heard club officers complain about the amount of paperwork, and of the need to play policeman.

It would be nice if club members who need the club's services find a way to show that you folks are appreciated.
 :)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 11:46:39 PM »
It's not like the club never gave me anything. My daughter tested and competed. I tested through Bronze FS and represented my club at Adult Nats. I just feel strongly about skaters of all ages and levels having opportunities. Clubs provide the opportunities.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 08:29:21 AM »
I was kinda shocked to learn that some rinks don't really like to have adult skaters...

Hatred against adult skaters is much stronger than most people think. At our club, once you are 18 you are OLD!!! [sarcasm] and God forbid that a 24 year old try to join the competitive club... that's completely crazy[sarcasm]!! Honestly, our club has some major problems in respect to Ages. 
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »
YMMV, but most clubs LOVE and I mean :love: :love: :love: adult skaters because they take interest, they are likely to stay and they serve on the BoD and/or volunteer, etc.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
If your parents ok it, join the club.   You will meet other kids your age who have good goals, and have learned to listen and work hard.  You will develop a healthy lifestyle and doing it with friends . . what could be better.    Hopefully, your local club will do things both in and outside the rink.  Like, picnics and going to see musicals and theater.  And, the club should have a lot of testing.  Talk with a coach about it, and have your parents talk to a club person about the program.  Since you are doing camels & loops, you are +++++ ahead of the curve and are going to have a great time. 

Offline joeyb72

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
Does your coach have to be with the club to join?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 11:15:12 PM »

No.  Though it may vary by country.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
In the US, no, as long as they have the proper CER and background check. 

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »
Many rinks here (near Washington, DC, USA) let clubs make their own policies about who can skate or coach or test on sessions the clubs rent from the rinks. Though there may be rinks that vet the coaches or reserve the right to ban skaters, parents or coaches.

Some skaters and coaches join multiple clubs in order to skate more sessions. There is also a large club (WFSC) that rents and runs sessions at many rinks.

There are even clubs-within-clubs. E.g., several Synchro organizations are associated with WFSC, each of which fields multiple teams, many of which rent their own sessions. Likewise Maryland Youth Hockey and USA hockey each field many clubs with their own club sessions. On top of that we have speed skating and curling clubs.

It is not true that each of these clubs and teams, at each of the rinks, all have the same policies.

Hope that clears things up.  :)

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 10:37:51 PM »
Quite a while ago, the USFSA club that I belong to helped host a Nationals and a Worlds. The share-the-wealth amount that the club got was wisely invested, and is now occasionally used to benefit the club members with subsidies and other benefits. I also belong to an ISI rink, for testing and competiton purposes. Unlike USFSA, who keeps boosting the cost of skating, ISI tries to keep a lid on costs, although costs seem to always be going up. There are pros and cons to joining USFSA clubs and ISI rinks, or to staying unaffiliated, so choose what benefits you the most.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 08:38:34 AM »
To my surprise, my home rink is an ISI rink although it teaches USAFSA basic skills program and has a USFSA club. We hold ISI comps and everything and have ISI synchro. There's not one ISI sign in the whole place. Really goes to show how the Basic Skills program gives a rink its identity. For all I know there's an ISI club for the synchro program too.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »
My home rink also has a USFS club and teaches the Basic Skills program, but apparently also has a ISI membership.  They wanted access to the ISI programs for rink managers.