You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Freestyle sessions  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Tigerstein

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
Freestyle sessions
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »
I have always skated on public sessions but now my main rink only has them on the studio rink and there are just too many people who don't know what they're doing most of the time. I was wondering if you think I should switch to freestyle or stay on public?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Freestyle sessions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »
Are you qualified by your rink's skating program to go on freestyle? If not, then you should talk to your coach or skating director.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:19:47 AM »
Freestyle will cost considerably more too.

At our local rink with very few people on freestyle sessions (and almost no elite skaters), anyone can walk on if you just pay the fee.

That will depend on the rink though, so as AgnesNitt states, ask first.
Bill Schneider

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
Depend on how your rink works, but definitively try to get on freestyle session if you can.
There will be a lot less people to worry about and you will be able to focus more on your skating and make more progress.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »
Are you proficient in turns and changes of direction, and able to move fast when necessary?  Are you aware on the ice and able to recognize different jump set-ups and when a skater is going into a spiral or step sequence?  If so, you will probably be OK on a freestyle session.  You just need to keep your eyes moving 360-degrees around you and be very conscious of where everyone is headed, most importantly, the skater skating a program.

Offline concorde

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
Depending on the time, our freestyle sessions can have 25+ on the ice at any one time.  We also have some Junior/Senior level competitors in that 25 so it can be brutal!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:35:28 AM »
Depending on the time, our freestyle sessions can have 25+ on the ice at any one time.  We also have some Junior/Senior level competitors in that 25 so it can be brutal!

Wow!!!!  Is that legal?  Sounds like a disaster/lawsuit waiting to happen.  Every rink I've ever skated at has sessions divided by skill level, and all are capped.  The higher the level the lower the number of skaters.

Tigerstein, like others have said, check with your coach.  IIr you were also recently considering joining a club.  It sounds like it might be time to consider it seriously.  Club sessions will cost you more, but as others have said, you'll have more time to focus on your skating.  Plus you'll get to know the other skaters and get into the community.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 03:53:21 AM »

Sounds like my rink. Even the high level freestyle has high numbers like that on. Our biggest gripe is when skaters from a quiet rink come over as they don't have the ability to watch out for people quite as highly tuned as the locals.

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »
Given that ice time is expensive, I try to do as much as I can on Public Sessions. They will typically clear out in Summer, but during the busy Winter months I'll use those crowded sessions to do things on the boards; new turns, body positions, etc. Grapevines are also a good activity on crowded publics. And doing new awkward moves seem less awkward when everybody's awkward.  88)

But yeah, when you start needing space, you have to pay for more space.

Best of luck!