You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult who skated as kids  (Read 3567 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Adult who skated as kids
« on: October 11, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »
How does it work for adults who skated as kids and tested? 
An older adult skated as a kid and passed freestyle tests, but has not been skating for many years.   Can the adult test adult track and where would they begin?
Can they start at the pre-bronze and work their way up or do they have to start where they stopped 30+ yrs ago?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Adult who skated as kids
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »
They can do it either way.. pick up where they left off (the levels cross over evenly now, so pre-pre is pre-bronze, prelim is bronze, etc) or they can start from the beginning of the adult track and move if that's what they want to do - there's definitely no rule saying they can't, it's simply that it's not required to essentially re-take any of the equivalent tests.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »
While there is no rule saying you couldn't take the lower tests, there are rules regarding equivalencies for competitions. So if you passed certain tests as a kid, you would be required to compete at that equivalent level or higher. There is some wiggle room based on the date of the test, but competition rules are pretty set. Here is the link to the equivalency chart.

http://www.usfsa.org/Content/Standard%20Track%20Free%20Skate%20to%20Adult%20Free%20Skate%20Chart%20Equivalencies.pdf

But if you're just looking at testing, you could definitely start lower and work up.

Offline lilicedreamer

• Skate Nation
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »
I believe they really must start at their current ability level.  A 30 year gap is what I had and I'm nowhere near as good a skater now as I was as a child.  I wouldn't worry about someone claiming you are testing under your ability.  Get out on the ice and see what you can still do.  Let me know how it goes.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 11:53:24 AM »
Actually for testing you can start where-ever you want - I would actually recommend it especially if it has been over 30 years - if you have never tested Moves before it is a very different experience from testing figures and freestyle or dance - best to get your feet wet first!

Competition is a whole 'nother ballgame - I believe you have to start at your actual level based on previous tests although I think there are thoughts are changing that also - not sure.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
I passed Pre-prelimiary & prelimary MIF and freestyle in the 1990s.  I had to ask USFSA where to begin.   I just restarted and passed the pre-bronze adult MIF & Freestyle.  I am glad I did because I needed the brushing up, and it gave me a run through with the judges and nerves I needed.

Offline MamaAmy

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »
Following. I'm about to jump back in after a 20 year break.
For ISI and USFS does anyone know how I could contact and verify my levels?
I'm certainly not going to start off at the same level, but also doubt i'll test figures given the lack of ice to work on them.
Anyone have tips on resurrecting my records?

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »
MamaAmy, do you still have your USFS and ISI member numbers?

I started skating again a few years ago after a 12 year break.  When I started testing again, I picked up where I left off, but I think I spent a LOT more time on that MITF test than I should have.  The moves tests build on each other, and the elements I needed to learn I had zero prior experience with - because the moves tests I took in the mid 90s are WAAAAAYYY different then they are now.

If it's not a financial burden, there is nothing wrong with going back and starting again!  I think it would be beneficial to do so, as you could build up your skills, and more importantly your muscles, by starting with the basics.  Your skating will probably be stronger for it!  (I regret not doing that, to be honest).

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 08:35:28 AM »
If you tested under the ISI,  you might be a bit disappointed to know that some of their records got lost during one of their system transitions. They lost part of my records. The only thing that they had for me was up through Delta despite me having tested up through FS 4.  So for me now it was worth restarting.

Honestly, I think that there is nothing wrong in restarting your test. It does help you develop the skills you had as a kid much more quickly. Also, you'll be surprise that how quickly things come back to you, but also how much the basics really mean.

Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 08:19:59 PM »
To find out which was the last test you passed under USFSA, contact Member Services:  MemberServices@USFigureskating.org
It makes it easier for them if they have your USFSA member number, or at least what club you were with.