You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating (esp. Dance) technique videos and software  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Skating (esp. Dance) technique videos and software
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
This is partly a continuation of

the thread on skating phone aps

except that it includes videos and non-phone software.

I asked in another forum, whether there were any videos that showed all the major figure skating moves, done at high performance quality, especially ice dance moves.

They mentioned the Learn to Ice Dance video (which shows people dancing the patterns of the first 12 USFSA dances) that has already been discussed here. They also pointed out that PSA has a Moves in the Field DVD (actually they have several not described in detail), and that ISU has an Ice Dance DVD (also not described in much detail, but shows the ISU Dances).

But there is some iPhone software that some of you may not know of:

US Figure Skating's Skate Coach App For iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad. $1.99 / ap. That review indicates there may be limitations, including sub-standard Dance performances.

SK8 Sports Figure Skating iPhone/iTouch/iPad App. The review does not mention Ice Dance moves.

I also found a demo version of Michelle Kwan Figure Skating Demo software for PCs. (The non-demo version software is no longer available new, but that may be irrelevant to my purposes.)  The demo lets you create programs that show many skating moves, though it isn't exhaustive. There is no easy way to slow them down and blow them up to see details, though I guess video capture software could be used. More to the point, there are no ice dance moves.

There may be a market for this, if any of you coaches want to produce something full blown. I'd buy it. Maybe some others here would?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Skating (esp. Dance) technique videos and software
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:58:40 PM »
Thanks for the review. AgnesNitt also wrote a review a while back.

icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2012/03/skating-apps-for-iphone.html

I hope more apps will come out!!

Offline ccahalan

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Skating (esp. Dance) technique videos and software
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
Hi, I saw this under a search for "figure skating choreography software" and joined the forum, because, and this of interest likely to you, I want to devote the majority of my efforts and time to making a figure skating choreography program. I know, however, almost nothing about desigining software. I just am a high level skater myself, in internship to be a coach, but where my primary aim is is now in designing choreography (Step Choreography Freebox), and this is one thing that's been high on my priority list for a while. A lot of time on my hands, I'm not coaching yet, in an off pd. from skating my self, and will be more than willing to help you out on this endeavor. Please email or post me here !  clarecahalan@yahoo