You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Location of blade on sole  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Re: Location of blade on sole
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2024, 04:41:43 PM »
I'll give you a simplified perspective.  If you want to play around with your equipment, there's no harm in doing so, as long as the changes you make can be readily undone.  So if you simply want to change the placement or orientation of your blade relative to the boot for whatever reason, go ahead and try it.  It doesn't matter what you define as the rocker, sweet spot, or anything else.

Depending on how close the new mounting holes are to the old mounting holes, you might need to plug the old holes first.  If the new mount doesn't work out, again you might need to plug a set of existing holes before drilling new ones.  I highly recommend permanent plugs cemented in with suitable adhesive, not simply pounded in.

On the other hand, I'd be really, really leery of changes such as:

Once you've trimmed the drag pick, it can't be readily undone (in the event that what you consider to be the sweet spot does depend on the height of the drag pick; or in the event that the height of the drag pick affects something else).

Thank you so much, and don't worry, there's no way I'm planning to change the blade in any way!

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2024, 05:05:01 PM »
You're welcome.  Just make sure your tech handles permanent plugs for your boots.  Not all do.

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2024, 01:25:39 PM »
Here is one example where I mounted blade ~3mm from the tip. https://youtu.be/6Ld-ej-OtEE

Main reason in this specific case was that the skater changed boot from Edea Ice Fly to Graf Edmonton special. I didn't check if the new and old boot sizes were same, but blade was a bit too short for these Graft boots. It´s common that if you change from the Edea to some other brand, your blade might be too short or at least shorter to sole than most of us has been used to see.

Skater changed boots because Edea didn´t fit her foots. She skated one month with Ice Fly´s, but they were causing too much pain. She has used previously other Edea models, but this Ice Fly wasn´t good for her. They went back to figure skate shop where they did buy Edeas and end up to Graf boots. Strange is that this professional figure skate shop didn't ensure that their existing blade has correct length for the new boots. Pro service...or maybe not.