You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Early mornings  (Read 6768 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Early mornings
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »
Home rink is FINALLY going to do early morning freestyles.  Yay!!!  Hockey season is upon us, so I need to skate mornings to get my time in.   :'(

I am not a morning person.  I'm usually pretty spacey until about 8.

What's your routine for early mornings?  How do you keep from forgetting half your stuff?

Mod note: moved to "On the Boards" forum.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: Early mornings
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »
Never skated early mornings, but when I was working early, I found having black-out curtains allowed me to get to sleep earlier and better in the evenings,  and therefore shift my body clock earlier.   Also turned on lots of bright lights when I got up.

I still love my blackout curtains.  You can pull them in the middle of the day, close the door and get complete and utter pitch black scary monsters darkness.

Also I installed a little utility called F.lux ( https://justgetflux.com ) , which alters the colour balance of monitors to take the blue out of it in the evenings.  Which is really nice anyway.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 08:33:14 PM »
Coffee.  Lots and lots of coffee.  I also keep bags packed all the time - skate bag, bag for work, gym bag, whatever.  I usually go out every day looking like I'm leaving for a week.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:36:04 PM »
Not sure if I really qualify, but as a night owl I'm currently skating at a time which is early for me  ;)
I try to get most of my stuff out the night before and either pack my skate bag or, if my skates need to air, I put everything together ready to be packed.
I also go to bed earlier, even if I don't sleep, as it still rests my body, and try to get up at the same time every day even if I'm not skating that day.

Offline icepixie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 16
    • My skating entries at Dreamwidth
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »
When I was skating early mornings before work, I would be sure to put all my skating stuff in my bag, get my lunch and other work stuff together, and lay out my clothes the night before.  That cut down on things to remember in the morning, and also allowed me another precious 10-15 minutes of sleep.  I could just zombie my way through breakfast and into my skating clothes and get in the car.  I have a very set routine for every morning anyway because I am also not at my best before about 8, and if I try to make too many decisions before I go to work I'll just stand there attempting to think for long stretches of time and wind up being late.

Speaking of making decisions, another thing that helped was to write a list of things I wanted to work on for that particular practice the night before, so I didn't have to blearily wonder what I should be doing next.

That's my only advice besides don't do it. :P  I gave up on early morning practices when I started jumping beyond waltz jumps and spinning beyond two-foot spins, because I'm so slow and uncoordinated in the early mornings that I figured I'd probably kill myself attempting anything more complicated at that time.  I just wasn't enjoying it like I do when I skate in the afternoons and evenings, which doesn't work when this is my fun hobby!

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »
I skate at either 5 or 6 am, however my body would prefer it if the world began its day at 10. Some of the how you get ready question depends on if you have to go straight to work, or if you are able to go home after your session.

Generally, I have my skating bag packed and ready to go the night before. This includes keys, wallet, water bottle (filled), etc. if you need to bring work stuff, get that together too. I have one bag for skating stuff, and one bag for work clothes/makeup when I have to make a quick run. Otherwise, I'm able to go home and shower after the session so I have time to grab those items then.

Food is the big one. I can't eat much before I skate, but I have to eat something. I eat a yogurt, egg muffin, cheese stick, or something comparable. Something that has protein if I can. Then I have a better breakfast afterward. On the weekends, I pre-portion my lunches so I can just grab and go during the week. One less thing to worry about in the mornings! I don't do coffee (or tea) so that one you'll have to figure out on your own.

The first week is the worst. Once you get past the first week, your body will settle into somewhat of a rhythm and it will be easier. It will still be annoying, but you can do it. And don't be surprised if your body doesn't respond as quickly as you are used to that first week while you are skating.

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »
As others have already said, the key to getting yourself out the door at 5:00 AM (or some other ungodly hour) is prepping the night before. I always make sure that my skate bag and work bag are packed, my lunch is packed, and my work clothes and make-up are packed.  I lay out my practice clothes in the bathroom so I won't disturb my husband in the morning.  I even fill up my water bottle and have it ready to go in the fridge! 

In the morning, I typically wake up 10-15 minutes before I plan to leave.  I brush my teeth but generally leave my hair a nasty mess because I fix it at the rink after I skate (forgot to mention - I shower the night before).  Then I grab all my stuff and am out the door!  Breakfast consists of a banana, cliff bar, or something similar I can eat while driving to the rink.  I have a second breakfast once I get off the ice around 7:30 or 8:00.

Once you get used to early mornings they aren't so bad.  I still feel like my practice goes better if I skate later in the day, but it's better to skate early than not at all!!  Best of luck!!
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »
I have absolutely everything prepped the night before. Work clothes in a bag, skate clothes laid out, lunch packed (and sandwiches waiting to come out the fridge when I make breakfast).
And if I need to be somewhere REALLY early (I've had to leave home at 4am to meet a coach travelling to a synchro competition), then I've been known to pour the cereal out and had the thermos ready to go as I won't leave the house without eating and having a cup of tea.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »
I'm definitely not a morning person, but I've trained myself to be able to get up early and be functional. Like everyone else, I get everything ready the night before. Everything is packed that can be packed, including change of clothes for work and makeup bag so I can get ready at the rink and go straight to work. I also lay out my skating clothes ready for the morning. Basically leave as little as possible to do.

Getting into a set routine for the early morning starts is important, so you don't have to really think about anything. I always do everything in the same order. Get up, put boot warmers in microwave, put kettle on for coffee, transfer water bottle and lunch from fridge to bag, put boot warmers in boots, get dressed etc, finish making coffee, out the door at 5. I have coffee in the car (husband drives), and breakfast when I get to work.

Also second whoever said going to bed earlier. That's a tough one for us night owls, but you do get used to it.

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »
The same as everyone else is saying, having everything ready the night before. I am used to being up early as my job starts at 5am, but doing something physical first thing in the morning is a whole other thing. I don't eat before I go to work that early, but if I'm skating that early I make myself eat something. Usually a Greek yogurt. I was having a problem feeling physically sluggish in the mornings that I skated & would be extra thirsty while on the ice. I think it was from being somewhat dehydrated from overnight & now I drink as much water as my stomach will handle before I have an early skate. It seems to help. Mentally I'm wide awake as soon as I get on the ice in the cold air, if not before. I also allow an extra few minutes of warm up time before an early skate. Since I haven't been up moving around for very long, my body needs it.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 12:12:43 AM »
I'm so glad you posted this thread because I started taking an early morning lesson this summer. Some days, my body is all right but I totally had a lesson where I just could not keep my body parts doing what I wanted lol.

Offline RinkGuard

• Global Moderator
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 33
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 07:41:08 PM »
I've heard some skaters sleep in their skating clothes. I'd totally do that.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 12:07:25 AM »
I've heard some skaters sleep in their skating clothes. I'd totally do that.

When I was on the swim/dive team in high school, I slept in a swimsuit and sweats.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
I've made it two mornings this week (got in from out of town in the wee hours of Monday morning, so that was a no go, and I missed yesterday due to absolute exhaustion.) I learned I need something in my stomach before I get on the ice, or else I get queasy.  I haven't managed to go to sleep at a reasonable hour yet.  Unfortunately, i don't think there's going to be enough traffic for them to justify keeping it, but I'll take a half hour of private ice followed by a half hour shared with one other person for as long as I can.  I can finally get some quality moves practice in! 

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 09:27:57 PM »
I skated mornings during the summer, but now that school's back, I'm back to skating after I get off work, which is early afternoon usually. I would go to bed early and then pack my skate bag in the morning. Funny thing is, I have no problem getting up at 5AM to skate, yet I gripe about getting up at 7AM to go to work LOL

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »
B.K. (Before Kids), I skated in the early mornings.   It was worse when the roads were icy.   

Night before, put out your skating clothes in a place where you won't disturb others.  Put your work clothes and toiletries in a bag.  Skates too.   Keys & purse, too.

Put the alarm clock far from your bed.  Preferably where your stuff is at.

One (1) cup of coffee only.   You will be awake when you get to the cold rink.  More than a cup, and it will mess up your timing on jumps, I find.

You will adjust just find.  I used to take showers at the rink, blow dry my hair, and get dressed in a suit with pumps.   I was in my 20s.  I got to work by 8:00, too!  I found I worked better because I was on that high from skating.

(Now, I'm up still at 5:35.  Walking dogs, cats, and two kids off to school.  One has to be there at 7:30 and the other at 8:00.)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
Instead of using my alarm clock, I use a long-ringing kitchen timer to wake up. (Two, for 6am sessions, set 10 mins apart.) I set it a little out of reach so I can't turn it off easily.  It's jarring so I try to get to it quickly.  It's also out of the ordinary so it makes my brain think and remember why it was set.

I also set everything out the night before.  I always shower/bathe before bed because I hate that bone-deep chill I get from skating after showering.  Blow-drying my hair and layers doesn't help.

When I skated before work / at lunchtime, I brought a hand towel and a plastic baggy containing a washcloth and soap along with deodorant.  Quick wash up in the ladies/locker room was sufficient to make me presentable.  I would just brush and pull my hair back before going to work.

I put my clothes in the bathroom or the guest room and change there so I don't wake my husband while I dress.  While I usually keep my skates in the garaged car, for early morning sessions during the winter, I bring them into the house at night.  Putting my keys on the bag keeps me from forgetting them.  (Use a caribiner clip or a ribbon/string.)

Before dawn, Newsradio88 (AM) comes in fairly clear, so I listen to that while I drive.  It's different and wakes me up further.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »
Figure Spins for the Win! Best tips ever!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
Another lifetime ago, I skated in the morning.  I made sure my school/work clothes were as simple and easy as possible.  Also, I picked clothes that wouldn't wrinkle.  I'd go to bed at 9:15 and get up at 3:30 to get to the rink via bus and subway by 5:45.  It wasn't easy, but you'll get so used to getting up that early that if you try to stay up late, you'll fall asleep anyway.  I'll be returning to early morning skating soon, so I will be feeling your pain!
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 08:13:36 PM »
Another lifetime ago, I skated in the morning.  I made sure my school/work clothes were as simple and easy as possible.  Also, I picked clothes that wouldn't wrinkle.  I'd go to bed at 9:15 and get up at 3:30 to get to the rink via bus and subway by 5:45.  It wasn't easy, but you'll get so used to getting up that early that if you try to stay up late, you'll fall asleep anyway.  I'll be returning to early morning skating soon, so I will be feeling your pain!

Hooray! Glad things have turned around in your world and you'll be back in the groove!

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »
I have lessons at 7am, half an hour away from home, so I'm up at or before 6 on those mornings. I personally keep my skating stuff in a gym/duffel bag in my car trunk (*I had a small heart attack last night after my dad came in announcing that I had left it unlocked, which I NEVER do because we have car thieves who prowl nightly).

I lay out my clothes the night before and generally look pretty awful the days I skate because I refuse to wake up early enough to actually do much in the way of makeup besides some eyeliner/mascara. 

In terms of eating. I'm not hungry at that hour, and find that anything heavier than water gives me stomach cramps. After my lesson I'm usually FAMISHED so I keep a big box of protein bars in my trunk and grab one as I'm throwing my gear back in.

It's a great feeling for about 10 minutes after the lesson, feeling like a champ for waking up so early and skating. After that I usually just feel like a zombie and struggle through the rest of my day.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »
I feel great on the days that I work out in the mornings, which is all 7!  Mondays I do crossfit @ 530a, Tuesdays I skate @ 6A, Wednesdays I skate @ 6A, Thursdays I have personal training at 530 focused on injury prevention, muscle conditioning, and stretching, Fridays I skate @ 6A, Saturdays I skate @ 6A, Sundays I skate @ 6A (and do crossfit in the afternoon).  I have and keep to a schedule and make sure I have everything packed the night before. I put makeup on in the car on the way to work M-F.  I have my clothes organized in my closet so I take the next up in the morning.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 10:30:41 PM »
I feel great on the days that I work out in the mornings, which is all 7!  Mondays I do crossfit @ 530a, Tuesdays I skate @ 6A, Wednesdays I skate @ 6A, Thursdays I have personal training at 530 focused on injury prevention, muscle conditioning, and stretching, Fridays I skate @ 6A, Saturdays I skate @ 6A, Sundays I skate @ 6A (and do crossfit in the afternoon).  I have and keep to a schedule and make sure I have everything packed the night before. I put makeup on in the car on the way to work M-F.  I have my clothes organized in my closet so I take the next up in the morning.

I envy your ability to do all that.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 12:24:47 AM »

I think you've done as I've done and mentally moved yourself into a different time zone. I find getting up early all week soo much easier than only doing it once a week. I do have two non training days. One is mid week so I have a "lie in" before work (which means I get up when everyone else does!) and the other is at the weekend. I don't stress when I wake up early on those days and just start pottering with things which need to be done.

It's just more painful when you do the random one off early mornings as it throws the bodyclock out.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 08:41:11 PM »
I envy your ability to do all that.
  Thanks...it needs to be done!!