You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Workout videos  (Read 7221 times)

Offline KateSkates

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Workout videos
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »
I can usually only get to ice twice a week and one of those is a synchro practice so I rely on workout videos I can do at home but I'm getting sick of the same old workouts. Any recommendations?

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
Re: Workout videos
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:45:54 PM »
Is there a specific type of workout you are looking for?  I like doing dance type videos (think Zumba, Kinect Just Dance which does have a workout choice) but I've also tried some yoga videos.  I have a couple of Jillian Michaels videos and liked her Yoga one fine but had a hard time following her core workout. 

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:22:40 PM »
Kari Anderson's "Center Floor" DVD is good (she had a Joffrey Ballet background, so it's very ballet-focused). Also Jennifer Galardi's "Ballet Body" DVD(similar to Kari Anderson's).
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
I like Jillian Michaels if I want a really tough, sweat filled, barely able to walk up and down stairs afterwards workout.

I have bookmarked the Lionsgate BeFit Youtube channel and it is all exercise videos.  I like the Denise Austin ones right now, she so perky and has lots of 10 minutes ones.  There is also the Fitness Blender channel too which has a few good ones.

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 06:29:34 PM »
Jillian Michaels "No more trouble zones" is tough but so rewarding when I am able to complete it. I used to do Shiva Rea's yoga shakti a lot in the past, but switched to Jillian when I wanted something with more calorie burn and muscle work with weights. I recently bought Signe Ronka's Figure Skater Bootcamp DVD,but haven't tried it yet.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:34:55 AM »
I've been looking at Sk8Strong.....it has pretty good reviews on other threads here.  Does anyone know how much special equipment it requires?  I have a yoga ball, but that's it.....

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 11:40:23 AM »
I've been looking at Sk8Strong.....it has pretty good reviews on other threads here.  Does anyone know how much special equipment it requires?  I have a yoga ball, but that's it.....

I've been looking into Sk8Strong as well, I think I'm going to buy the DVD today as they have a promotional 15% off today :). I go to the gym 4 times a week and I have found that it's definitely improved my skating but I'd like to start adding more skater specific exercises into my work outs. I'll let you know how I like it and what kinds of equipment it requires  ;)

Offline Loops

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
Right on!  I just ordered the ipod version- I've been hoping for a sale.  Thanks for the heads up on that! She PM'd me and said yoga ball, light hand weights, sliding discs (but furniture movers/paper plates also work she says) and a sport cord.

Want to start a group to keep each other honest?

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »
Right on!  I just ordered the ipod version- I've been hoping for a sale.  Thanks for the heads up on that! She PM'd me and said yoga ball, light hand weights, sliding discs (but furniture movers/paper plates also work she says) and a sport cord.

I would be interested in a Sk8Strong group! I have the Competitive Skater DVD but haven't started it yet.... :blush:

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
I have sk8strong videos, too.  Want to make it the January Skatingforums' Challenge?  It would be great to do an off-ice challenge!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »
Oh my. You guys are making me think to get on board! So exciting! I have no clue what I need to order for where I am in my skating though.

Offline Loops

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 02:07:23 AM »
Yes, yes!!!  Let's do it!!!  January (and Feb, too since we're so late in the  month?) challenge-

I have to go get some weights and hopefully the cord tomorrow morning, but I downloaded it last night- need to read through all the lit today and plan to try a few things during DD's nap this afternoon.

But I am in!!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »
I recently bought Signe Ronka's Figure Skater Bootcamp DVD,but haven't tried it yet.

It's finally available?  I had been looking at it a long time ago but it didn't seem like you could order it at the time.  Thanks!

Okey-dokey - by popular request, the Jan/Feb Skatingforums Challenge is Off Ice!
http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=5566.0
Be there or be square!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Rachelsk8s

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »

Oh good!! :) I'm glad that you bought it!!! I had no idea you could buy the iPod version, I wonder if it works on iPad or iPhone? That would actually benefit me even more!! I'd love to do a Sk8strong group :) I saw the new January/February challenge which I'm definitely down for as well!!! Yay!!!  :)

Offline Loops

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 01:08:53 AM »
It works well on my dell via itunes, so I imagine it would work fine on ipods/iphones.

I liked the idea of portability, plus not having to store the disc (we have tooooo many).....Will deffo need to make a back up of it though!

Offline Rachelsk8s

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
It works well on my dell via itunes, so I imagine it would work fine on ipods/iphones.

I bought the IPod version :) I really like it!!!! I'm so glad that I read your post before I bought the DVD because it's a lot easier for me to use at the gym, so a big thank you!!! :D

Offline Loops

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 01:16:16 AM »
You are welcome! I'm becoming a fan of this digital thing.....  Among it's other advantages, it saves me oodles on shipping.

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »
Sk8Strong thinks you all ROCK!!!  Feel free to send any questions my way! Glad you like the videos, and yes, the iPod/mp4 version works on iPads and anything that plays mp4 videos. Www.sk8strong.com/ipodcatalog.html
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline Loops

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
Ok, so a question for you guys.  With the challenge, I've been working with the Sk8strong adult for nearly a month.  I waffled, and eventually chose the adult because I fall well within her critera- over 30 and haven't skated in ages.  But I'm in decent shape, and never really stopped being active.

Now that I've learned all the exercises, I'm not finding it as challenging as I'd hoped.  I'm getting something out of it, and there's some room for improvement for sure, but I'm feeling like I made a wrong choice in that I should have gotten the Competitive skater.

So can anyone comment on the differences between Competitive and Adult? Plyos aside, does competitive have more varied exercises, or does it take those in Adult further, with more difficult variations? Has anyone tried the Figure Skater bootcamp?  That one also looks good, but at $50 (I assume CAN?) it's a little more than I want to spend.  Plus I want something downloadable.....

Any thoughts???  Tia

Offline rsk8d

• Sk8Strong
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »
Hi Loops,

There isn't huge difference between the Adult and Competitive, just a few more challenging exercises and more plyometrics.  Are you doing the highest progression level of each exercise, with the balance challenges?  If you are doing the lower levels, the exercises are simpler. 

Offline Loops

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 02:28:50 AM »
Almost- I finally was able yesterday to buy/butcher a foam roll to move on up.  Otherwise I'm doing reps until tomorrow (for many, but certainly not all) the exercises.  My daughter only gives me a 1 hour nap.....

Offline rsk8d

• Sk8Strong
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
There's a big difference between the exercises just on the floor vs. on a foam roll, disc, or when applicable, physioball.  You will get much more out of the workout! :-)

Offline Loops

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »
Yes, and I have a "date" with that 1/2 roll hopefully tomorrow afternoon, if I can get everything organised for our upcoming vacation!  Looking forward to it ;-)