You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: US Figure Skating Phasing out Test Track Events  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
US Figure Skating Phasing out Test Track Events
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:40:54 AM »
Effective 9/1/2018, US Figure Skating is eliminating the Test Track Events in favor of the new Excel WBP requirements.

Test Track

The Test Track program will be phased out effective September 1, 2018, and replaced by the Excel Program. Athletes who have competed Test Track should check out Excel, an opportunity for athletes to develop their technical skills and athletic performance in a competitive environment.

Test Track was initially created to encourage continued involvement, progression, and success through the following mechanisms:

• Creation of competitive events that provided an alternative to Well-Balanced events

• Limitation of allowed technical elements

• Eliminating age requirements for levels

The new Excel Program has been created to accomplish many of the same goals by providing competitive opportunities for skaters that allow them to develop their technical skills and continue their progress through the following structure:

• Bridging the transition from Learn to Skate USA and U.S. Figure Skating

• Creating levels that allow skaters to push the technical envelope beyond the test requirements

• Continued encouragement of progression
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: US Figure Skating Phasing out Test Track Events
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 10:42:12 AM »
Excel Program:

The Program Development Committee of U.S. Figure Skating is excited to announce the launch of the Excel Program, a new competitive opportunity created to encourage skaters to develop their technical ability in a competitive environment that promotes success. The new Excel Program will be effective September 1, 2018; an outline of the levels and requirements for the program can be found in the Resources Box on the right.

The Excel Program has been created to provide competitive opportunities for skaters that allow them to develop their technical skills and continue their progress in the sport through the following structure:

• Creating levels that allow skaters to push the technical envelope beyond the test requirements

• Creation of Excel Challenge Series - a series of competitions across the country at which, competitors earn points toward the goal of receiving an invitation to compete in the Series Final

• Bridging the transition from Learn to Skate USA and U.S. Figure Skating

• Continued encouragement of progression

Excel Free Skate Requirements (PDF)  http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Excel%20Free%20Skate%20Requirements%20Final.pdf
Excel Free Skate Technical Information (PDF)  http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Excel%20Free%20Skate%20Technical%20Information.pdf
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline ARoo

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 11:05:22 PM »
It seems like they just made it more complicated, but didn't really change much. Hmm.

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 12:04:29 PM »
It seems like they just made it more complicated, but didn't really change much. Hmm.

Well, they've eliminated the progressive achievement steps for sure.  And raised the costs.  Tests were cheap, competitions are not.  My little skater is sad she won't have the opportunity to work for a "gold medal".  Now it's just more competitive with other skaters instead of testing against your own abilities.  It rewards the better skaters and inhibits those who just like to work toward a goal at their own pace.

I've asked her coaches whether MITF continues.  Looks like it, but who knows.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 01:53:15 PM »

Seems that way to me too. The Excel matches up with test track events, and the Excel Plus is a sort of a step up between test track and well-balanced. Also, I'm confused as to why excel pre-preliminary and excel preliminary are exactly the same? Maybe I'm missing something. My daughter currently competes at prelim test track, with prelim MITF and pre-pre freestyle tests passed so I'm not sure where she will skate at. I had actually hoped she would make some huge strides over the summer to move into pre-pre well-balanced, but it would take some serious improvement on her part.

Am I understanding it correctly that test structure stays the same and this just effects competitions? I had assumed you could still take the traditional MITF and freestyle tests.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
So, what's going on? Is this just USFS trying to squeeze more money out of skaters?  It doesn't look very friendly to recreational skaters.

And does this affect adult skaters?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:57:52 AM »
First of all, skaters can still take freeskate tests at a test session.  The ability to submit competition results for test credit is just a different option.

Secondly, all of the freeskate tests (including Adult tests) will comply with the well-balanced program rules and be judged on a [-GOE]/[+GOE] scale.  It's supposed to take out some of the subjectivity. 

IMO, the comp=test option is more affordable for the competitive skaters.  They can "skate up" at competitions with the program they'll use at the next level.  If they do well, they can get the credit and move up.  There's no need for separate "test" and "competition" programs, which saves money since they don't have to re-do choreography.

For the more-recreational skaters, they can still test at a test session.  The "With Distinction" label bugs me - it brings competiveness into the test structure, which will be discouraging to those skaters who can't skate twice a day, six days a week.  There are some judges who won't be willing to score higher, so it will be interesting to see how many people get those.  I really, really hope they don't publish that label in Skating magazine - it'll be a discouragement for those who simply get a "passed."

We have very few skaters in our area who skate Test Track events at competitions.  It's looked down on because of the name.  That might change with Excel, we'll have to wait and see.

I wonder what instructions the judges are being given for the new testing structure?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:23:40 AM »
We have very few skaters in our area who skate Test Track events at competitions.  It's looked down on because of the name.  That might change with Excel, we'll have to wait and see.

This was my thoughts too on the name change.  At first I was like 'well it's silly to do all this to basically change the name...' But I can see why changing it might encourage participation.  It seems like a small thing, but competing in something called 'Excel' seems a whole lot better than 'Test Track.'

Offline ARoo

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 05:58:45 PM »
I don't think changing the name will do much to encourage people to skate these events. Those who would do those events will do them, those who wouldn't won't. But this adds several new competition levels. Test track events in this area tend to be small groups, especially at the higher levels. Splitting these events just makes the groups smaller. I am sure that here, you'll often see events with one skater, which is sad when you pay to compete.