You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Having issues with mental block/fear...  (Read 3516 times)

Offline IzziAngel

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 8
Having issues with mental block/fear...
« on: March 22, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »
I'm a beginner Adult (Adult 4) and recently started having issues with skating backwards. It started about a month ago when I was doing a basics run-through of backward crossovers, I was looking over my shoulder to the right, my coach was watching me on my left side, and another coach was demonstrating a kind of a backward shoot the duck move to her student with her back toward me. The other coach took my legs out from under me and we went down hard.  No injuries, and no one was at fault - even though she apologized to me profusely.  Now I find myself having a very hard time doing anything backwards.  I am obsessively cautious to the point that i look and feel like I've regressed in skill.  I skate early in the morning when there are fewer people at the rink so I am well aware that it is all in my head because I do it even when there is no one near me.  It's almost a subconscious thing, like my body reacts before my brain can process what I'm doing.   How in the world do I get over this unreasonable fear?

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
What is hard today, will one day be your warm-up.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
Re: Having issues with mental block/fear...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »
Do you think you could ask your coach to skate just ahead of you as you skate backwards and clear the way for you so you know you aren't going to run into anyone?  Maybe do that just a few minutes at the beginning of each lesson until you get your confidence back?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »
You were not at fault. Both the coaches were at fault. They should both have been able to scan the ice for other skaters even while skating backwards. The other coach should have been able to see you and skate around a beginner skater doing back crossovers--at star 4 you don't move that fast to get in her way.

Don't think it was your fault. You are a beginner and not that hard to look out for. The other coach was sloppy. I don't know what was going on with your coach.

Reccommendation, skate backward swizzles around the rink. You'll build up your leg strength and gradually get over your fear.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline IzziAngel

• Rink Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »
Thank you!  Those are both really good ideas, and I am definitely going to try them tomorrow during my warm-up and lesson!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 12:03:24 AM »
Keep practicing.  It will become comfortable in time.  A month is not very long.

Offline IzziAngel

• Rink Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
Update to OP:  Saturday was my hour long lesson and Freestyle was pretty crowded since everyone is getting ready for KC Skate.  I basically spent the entire hour skating backward around the rink, at first my coach was really guiding me and helping me watch for other skaters.  After a while she started talking to me about random things and made me pay attention and maneuver on my own, basically distracting me a little while forcing me to pay attention and not rely on her. (I know she was still paying attention, and would have done something if I were going to run into anyone.)  That session really helped!  Mentally I felt better about my ability and control.  Coach suggested that during our Wednesday lesson we fall... a lot.  She believes that falling is the other part of my hang up, and I agree.  Here's to doing whatever it takes to get my confidence back!

Offline Doubletoe

• Total GOE: 139
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »
Awesome!!  Congratulations on the breakthrough!