You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Maggie Daley Park Chicago: A figure skater's early review  (Read 2055 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Maggie Daley Park Chicago: A figure skater's early review
« on: December 14, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
I visited Maggie Daley Park the second day after it opened for skating after construction.  It was a very warm December Sunday, at mid-day.  The most dramatic thing about the ice rink is that it is an irregularly shaped loop.  The most interesting thing about it is that it is not level.  There is about a 2% grade, which is big enough to keep it interesting for experienced skaters but small enough to be comfortable for beginners.

What is the ice like?  On the warm day I was there the ice was nice for a free admission, outdoor rink.  It was a little wet and felt fast (the slope helps.)  The ice was resurfaced about every two hours using a Zamboni brand electric resurfacer with an enclosed cab.  The staff were announcing the ice resurfacing would take an hour.  This was a major exaggeration.  They did not have a good way of clearing the skaters off the ice yet.  I think with practice they can get resurfacing down to 15 minutes.  While the ice is larger than a normal NHL sheet, since there are no sharp turns the resurfacer can go faster than normal.  There are railings instead of boards.  The ice was mostly clean despite adjacent landscaping.  It was not excessively crowded (apparently rentals were being limited to keep the crowds in the line instead of on the ice) and the number of beginners was not excessive.

Is it a good place to figure skate?  No.  Jumps, spins, and backwards skating are not allowed.  Performing turns on the slope is hard.  The rink is also very narrow.

Is it good for hockey?  Hockey is not allowed.

Is it good for speed skating?  Speed skating is not allowed.  You can't even wear speed skates.

Other notable rules:  No bags.  There are lockers on the north side.  The rules were not being enforced.

Can I rent skates?  Yes, but don't.  It is $12 for hockey skates and the line is very long.  Bring your own skates.  Get good ones from a specialized pro shop.  If you bring your own skates you can get in free with no line.

How do I get there?  Go to Millennium Park and walk across the BP bridge (big silver snake).  If you brought your own skates, enter the rink from the south side.  There are picnic tables and skate-safe flooring.  Skate rental, lockers (price?), bathrooms, and a ridiculously long line may be found on the north side.

Is it a good place to learn to skate?  No, sign up for classes at your local indoor rink if possible.  This rink will be scary and uncomfortable for beginners.

Should I go to the Millennium Park rink or the Maggie Daley Park rink?  Walk the extra block to Maggie Daley.  There are equally many people at both, but Maggie Daley is bigger so it feels more comfortable, and the facilities are more interesting.

Is there information online?  No, nothing good is posted yet.

Should I bring my kids?  Yes.  There is also a very nice playground which both kids and adults will enjoy.

What will be there in the summer?  Inline skating, which I did not get a chance to try.  The rock climbing wall is in the center of the rink and was still under construction.

Should I bring a date?  Only if you and your date can skate.  Falling down on the ice is not a romantic experience.

What should I wear?  A light jacket and pants that will not hold water.  Gloves for beginners.  More layers if it is cold.  Clothes should allow for movement.

What needs improvement?  The staff didn't know what they were doing yet, particularly during resurfacing.  Fix the website and signage.

Overall impression:  This is a very fun and free place to lap skate.  The view is great and the rink layout is fun.  The atmosphere is relaxed.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Maggie Daley Park Chicago: A figure skater's early review
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
Thanks, Nick!  This is all good information!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
Thanks! I am in NY but read about this with great curiosity and appreciate the info!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 08:17:01 PM »
Great info! I want to check it out and also skate at millennium park again. It has been a few years!